“not a great experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Atalaye

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Biarritz
Hotel Atalaye
You added Hotel Atalaye to your Saves list
6 rue des Goelands | Plateau de l'Atalaye, 64200 Biarritz, France   |
Ranked #60 of 69 Hotels in Biarritz
“not a great experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights at hotel Atalaye. Although it is very well located, our room was small very old fashioned and not practical at all: useless furnitures taking up all the room and only 1 power point. The bathroom was covered in mould and again not practical. Finally the hotel didn't provide any assistance with parking which is a pain in Biarritz in July. I feel that we paid too much for what we got.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel looks very nice from the outside, but the rooms have seen better days. Try to get a room as high up as possible. I had a room on the first floor, and I could hear everything that was said in the front desk, one floor below.

Some rooms do also have a very odd design. My room, a double room, had a bathroom, but it was build in the room after the room was built, and the walls didn't go all the way up to the ceiling, so you didn't want to be in the room if someone was on the toilet.
There was only one outlet in the room, and it was located in the bathroom, so charging two phones/tablets/computers at the same time was impossible.

Now to the plus side. The locations is good. The cleaning ladies are doing a great job if you consider what the rooms look like to begin with, and the bed is comfortable. The staff is also very friendly, so there's no problems in having wet wetsuits in your room (if you are a surfer). The wifi also works great.

I might book it again if I get to Biarritz to surf again, but I would first check other hotels as well. You don't want to spend a day in the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights, the location is great, a short walk to the beach. Our room was comfortable , the decor was very dated and there was a musty smell however it was clean and serviced daily. Breakfast was expensive for what we got, I would suggest getting food in one of the nearby shops for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Muenster, germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here two days ago at the end of a hiking holiday on the Camino. Paid 45Euro for a single room, which I thought was excellent value. Biarritz is so expensive, and this hotel is ideally located, 2 minutes to a stunning beach and the street is littered with other hotels and cafes, and 2 minutes to all the cute little shops.
The room was very basic and the hotel (I think) is kind of weirdly built, there are a lot of doors and glas separation walls, but my room was clean and totally did the trick for my stay. Staff were friendly and helpful and spoke sufficient English, so I can really recommend this.

Room Tip: My room (no.6) was behind the management sitting room and was basically on the ground floor, so I co...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

A very comfortable old hotel with very friendly helpful staff. Because it was so relaxing I stayed three days longer than intended. Room was large, separate bathroom with great deep bath and everything works. Breakfast and wifi available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaview - if you want one.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The view from the room overlooked the ocean--beautiful. The inside of the room is a different story. The carpet is questionable and bathroom tiny. I was honestly afraid to sleep on the bed, however when one is tired one can sleep anywhere. This tiny hotel did not have air conditioning and it is in a great location, but really the price we paid would have been for a 3 1/2 -4 star hotel, and this was a 2 star hotel. Moreover, with the amount we paid, we thought breakfast was included and ordered breakfast. After a wild night of having fun in Biarritz, we skipped breakfast. The concierge charged us 9 Euro for a breakfast we did not eat and the breakfast we would have eaten included either a croissant or madeleine and coffee. I explained that we did not eat breakfast and the concierge retorted that we must pay because he had to go get the breakfast from a nearby patisserie. 9 Euros! Per person//per day on top of the overpriced hotel room!!!
The halls were dank.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This Hotel was by far the worst in customer service and pricing. It is extermely over priced for what they offer and they lie about the room cancellation requirements as well as have no customer service skills. When I called the hotel in May to find out about rooms, I was told that they needed a credit card on file to hold a room for me. While I had planned on staying there during my European vacation, I felt uncomfrotable leaving my credit card information so far in advance. The hotel manager releived my fears by telling me that my card would only be charged after I checked out. I had intended to stay there but something came up and I cancelled my reservation two days prior to my reservation date yet when I returned to the States, I saw that they charged my credit card any way for a double occupancy ocean-view room.

At first I thought it was an honest mistake on their part, so I called to resolve the issue whereby I was told that I would have to send an e-mail requesting my money deposited back into my account. I sent the e-mail only to receive a response from the hotel manager stating that I was wrong and stayed there. I explained I had to go to Germany instead of Biarritz therefore it was Impossible to be in two places at once. They responded that that was my problem because since the initial booking was made, they had already paid a commission fee to their booking agent and would need to re-coup their funds. I again explained to them that I am not responsible for how they pay their booking agents especially since I cancelled my reservation 2 days prior to the reservation date, and that I did not stay there, therefore was NOT going to pay for a service that I did not use. They told me to take it up with my bank.

Immediately I rushed over to my bank to have them reverse the charges and explain what had happened with this hotel. My banker reversed the charges and I thought things were fine.

Recently I checked my bank account and the hotel who stole funds from my account, stole my money again. I was charged for a double occupancy ocean view room that I had never seen, much more never even stayed at.

I am disgusted that Hotels in France can get away with stealing from tourists, and that this hotel in particular only cared about paying their booking agent and not from doing what was right by not charging my card since I did not stay there.

Again when I called the hotel directly they were rude, dis-honest, and overall my telephone conversations with them to resolve this issue have been very un-pleasent. They have the WORST customer service of any Hotel I have ever stayed in France and Europe. When will they STOP STEALING money from potential guests?

I am appalled and insulted that they got away with it but moreever that they will continue to steal from every person that considers staying there. Their lack of honesty, integrity, and ehtical moral code make this the ABSOLUTE WORST HOTEL I NEVER STAYED AT.

Only the motely fool would book a reservation with these crooks.

Victum of Hotel Theft & FRAUD Crime

Room Tip: Do NOT reserve a room here unless you want to be charged for a room / service you never stayed in no...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
gaxuxa, Propriétaire at Hotel Atalaye, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
It is very surprising because these people have stayed at the hotel.

Been to Hotel Atalaye? Share your experiences!