“Great seafood and atmosphere by the boatload” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #74 of 255 Restaurants in Biarritz
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Great seafood and atmosphere by the boatload”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

There are many establishments competing to provide the best fishy dining experience in Biarritz, but, on this one visit, I think chez Albert ranks as one of the best. A dozen oysters are not of course a demonstration of the kitchen's competence, but their superb quality and freshness spoke well of the restaurant's supply chain. But the kitchen certainly produced a perfectly cooked grilled turbot to follow, which was amazingly fresh as well. From memory, the menu does cater for non- fish eaters, though if fish does not float your boat (sorry!), there are probably better alternative eating venues in this town. Despite the restaurant being frantically busy on a warm Saturday evening, the waiting staff stuck to their task very well and remained professional, yet friendly. I would certainly recommend booking for busy times, such as Saturday evening.

Visited September 2013

• Polish first
Luxembourg
“Oh mon Dieu :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I have to say we found chez Albert by surprise on a Monday lunch off season. This probably added to the positive experience. Our dishes were excellent and I can't agree with the derogatory comment regarding the Bouillabaisse of a previous reviewer, we found it much better than any we had before. As for the Tarte aux Fraises Albert it was a highlight. Have to admit that it was also our most expensive lunch on this holiday.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was treated to meal by companion and no limits on expense - everything was delicious, especially the chocolate and vanilla ice cream dessert (forget the name)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“The ultimate Fruits de Mer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

As a serious fish lover, I can safely say that I have never eaten such a good plateau de fruits de mer anywhere......and I have eaten lots....all over the place. Exceptional freshness and quality and generous portion. My wife had turbot which melted off the bone...bliss.
Lovely location on the edge of the little harbour. Sit outside on a warm evening, its hard to better !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“I would not recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel I stayed in recommended this place as the best restaurant in town for fish. First of all you must accept that you're on your neighbors lap. They even put small tables in the corridors. Not great.

If you like the big plates piled with seafood, then please go but anything else is to be avoided. I had fish soup as a starter and it was mediocre, I am polite. The base soup is ok but one scrimp and a small cubicle of fish doesn't make it a "typical Bask fish soup" and certainly not for €16.

My main course was sole and i ordered it grilled. What I got was indeed a sole (a very small one) floating in a liquid that I presume was a very cheap and often used butter. I should have refused it but the waiter was very certain and not very friendly. €27 for the sole.

I left very disappointed and while on my way out in saw the kitchen guy in charge of the mashed potatoes sneeze without covering. I wondered who got that.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere