“Life Is Good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gourmet Touring

Gourmet Touring
3 Lieu dit Montauge, 33190 Bordeaux, France (Rue Sainte-Catherine)
+33 6 32 80 04 74
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 74 activities in Bordeaux
Type: Tours
Activities: Driving
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Acclaimed by Conde Nast Traveller & wine writer Jancis Robinson for their professionalism & knowledge a GT itinerary is much more than a wine tour. Every experience is tailor-made to individual clients’ requirements enabling them to experience the best food, wine and culture that the region has to offer. A licensed tour operating company, based in Bordeaux France since 2003, Gourmet Touring will organize every minute detail of your visit from beginning to end with an attention to detail that is unparalleled by others.
Shanty Bay ,Ont.
“Life Is Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

My wife and I recently enjoyed great food,great wine and great driving for our 10th wedding anniversary all in the Bordeaux region.We had a cooking class,which was both delicious and informative,a tour of a vineyard,a hot air balloon ride,spent a day at a vinotherapie spa,enjoyed accomadations in both a charming chambres d'hotes and an elegant chateau,saw the largest sand dune imaginable,had fresh oysters(I mean fresh),drove an exquisite 67 Jaguar 'E' Type all in five days.Best of all was that during all this activity we still had plenty of time to tour the countryside and enjoy the trully warm and wonderful hospitality of our French hosts in the bordeaux region.
How you say is all this possible?When you have an excellent travel company working for you and with you like Gourmet Touring there's not much that's not possible.We live thousands of miles away and yet all of our plans were achieved with two stress free phone calls.We encounterd no language barriers although our French is quite limited,no waiting for this or that and no sudden explanations or apoligies.When we did encounter one slight blip it was solved immediately and professionlly.
John and Sian Mears have it figured out A to Z so I didn't have to.Trully enjoyable,trully memorable,I'll be back.Thank you both!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

We had a wonderful Gourmet Touring trip for our wedding anniversary. I had read about GT two years ago in the Sunday Times and had committed them to memory for a special occasion. I booked the trip last year, and by booking early were able to secure the Jaguar E-Type for 2 of the 3 days. Two weeks before the trip I had a call from GT and we discussed likes / dislikes, food, wine & places to see. The result was a personalised travel guide that arrived by post before we left. I was really impressed by the personal contact and attention to detail.

We were chauffeured from Bordeaux airport to the waiting E-Type and given a thorough briefing; how to use the SatNav (which already had our itinerary programmed in!), how to raise the hood (which we didn't need to do!) and how to change from 3rd to 2nd (which I mastered eventually). They then departed, taking our luggage on to the Chambre d'Hotes, before we drove off; this saved us the embarassment of GT seeing us crunching gears and stalling as we got used to the car.

We then had two wonderful days touring in the E-Type; visiting vineyards and taking in the scenery along with lunches at some great value restaurants. The highlight of the trip was dinner at the Michelin-starred Hostellerie de la Plaissance in St Emilion; our best meal ever, accompanied by wine chosen by the sommelier to match the food course by course. (Wine isn't included in the price but the meal is) Again, we were chauffered back to the Chambre d'Hotes by GT.

We stayed in Manoir du Gaboria in St Gemme; a relaxed friendly place where they make their own wine and pineau. All the accommodation has pools so you're able to relax and cool down after a day at the wheel. You can also upgrade to a Chateau if you really like being spoiled!

I really can't recommend GT highly enough; they have created a unique holiday experience (I tried but couldn't find anything similar). Added to this the owners John & Sian Mears are personally involved in running the show which means you benefit from their deep knowledge of the region. We will be going back!

Sheffield, UK
6 attraction reviews
“Wine, Food & a Car to Die For”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

This really is the perfect way to travel. We had read about Gourmet Touring in a couple of papers and it sounded a wonderful mix for a short break - wine, good food, and a sports car to boot. And, just back from our trip, I have to admit that in every way it lived up to expectations.

As the person who always organises the holidays, it was something of a luxury to be contacted in advance to discuss what I wanted from the trip - culture, food, golf, picnic sites, restaurant guides, wine trips... the list was endless. This research by the company owners clearly paid off because what we then got was our very own travel guide, with detailed information about our accommodation, cars (yes, two, we we had a Fiat Barchetta most days but the most beautiful E type Jag for a day), and everything else we could have thought of to do. Our accommodation was superb, the meal at Hostellerie de Plaisance to die for, and as for that Jag.....

The attention to detail is clearly designed to give you an easy holiday, with enough direction to get you to lots of places you otherwise wouldn't have found, and with a satellite navigation system even an idiot could understand but which avoided all those holiday arguments over who is best at reading the map. Not being too sure of our French we needed places where people spoke some English and I didn't feel too bad about admitting that. Everywhere we went we were expected and got exactly what we'd been told we'd get.

We really couldn't praise this company enough - if you have something special to celebrate, these are the guys to go with.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Attention to detail was superb - they really know the region”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2004

I heard of this company when I read a review about them in two UK newspapers - the Times and the Guardian. My husband and I love good food and wine, had never visited the Bordeaux area and I thought that the open top car idea sounded fun even though we're not natural car fanatics.
The holiday started to take shape before we got there as we had a very thorough call from one of Gourmet Touring's directors asking us our likes/dislikes and what we'd like to do on our holiday. 2 weeks later a very personlized touring guide arrived by courier to us. Each page was personlized with our name and the content was amazingly thorough.
The holiday itself continued in this same vein. Everything was impecably organised - we were met at the airport and chauffeured to our little red convertible, swapping over to an amazing black Jaguar E-Type for one day later in our stay. Our accommodation was in a wonderful farmhouse/chambre d'hote. We enjoyed the company of the hosts but some might have found them a bit too talkative, plus watch out if you are tall as there were a few ill-placed low rafters around! GT offer other accommodation too so I guess these comments might not necessarily be relevenat to other places of stay.
One really ingenious addition to what GT provide is a satellite navigation system to help lead you to all your points of interest that you fancy visiting. It had its moments at times but overall it was great allowing us to enjoy the scenery and dispense with the usual holiday driving arguments about directions.
GT advised that we should eat at the Michelin starred restaurant of Hostellerie de Plaisance in St Emilion which we did. The meal was probably the best we've EVER eaten in our lives. At the end of the pre-paid meal we were chauffeured back to our accommodation so that we could enjoy the renowed wine with our meal - a really great service - and all included in the modest price of our holiday.
During our stay we also visited many other recommended restaurants, vineyards, bars and cultural points of interest. All these were recommended to us by GT and written up with a brief description in our personalized guide book - not to mention also linked to the sat nav system. They were definietly places that we would never have found oursleves if we'd been travelling on our own or with a bigger more commercialized tour operator.
My only real regrets about the trip were that we didn't book a little earlier as we wanted to celebrate the dates of our wedding anniversary and they were alraedy booked up - also we would have probably liked to stay a bit longer than we did as there is so much to see and do.
GT have hit a great balance between taking the hard work out of the organization (and requirement for local knowledge) of a holiday yet retaining the flexibility to do what you want to do while you're there (which can't be said for organised tours that we've been on in the past).