“Great value for money!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #150 of 175 Hotels in Bordeaux
Newcastle, Australia
“Great value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I went into this hotel skeptical with all the bad reviews I had read, but I must say they seemed unfounded. The room wasn't anything spectacular however It was comfortable and clean, The bathroom was fine and I had a great sleep. The staff were friendly even though I didn't speak french. It is located a few minutes walk from the main train station (or one tram stop which is just out the front) which is why I booked this accommodation, would definitely do so again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
zurich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was the most disappoiting hotel I have ever stayed in. The first shock was the size of the room and even worse the bathroom. The room was very small..Just big enough to include a bed and a small dresser... The bathroom is equally cramped.The bed was very uncomfortable.
The windows need to be closed all times due to its proximity to the tram line. Only advantage is the location.Close to the railway station and the old town is also at a walkable distance. Maybe ideal for a single night. But surely wouldnt recommend to stay here for a couple or family !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brittany France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked this hotel as a stopover on the way from Brittany to the South of France by car. All I needed was somewhere to get some sleep before my onward journey so really didn't pay much heed to the reviews. BIG mistake!!
My room (or should I say cupboard!) was very 'tired' to put it politely. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall, the curtain was held up by 2 bits of string that would not allow it to extend to cover the window, the 'en suite' was a plastic capsule with barely enough room to turn around in and the carpet was threadbare and stained. The room was stuffy, although they did provide a (very noisy) fan.
I was tired and hungry after a long day driving but the reception staff could not tell me if there was anywhere close by to eat. I went into the Mercure hotel next door to see if they had a restaurant but that was only open at breakfast time. I walked across the road and found a Spar shop where I bought some bits and pieces to take back to my room. My thoughts were to just grin and bare it, get some sleep and move on early the next morning.
However, I hardly got any sleep due to the continuous noise from outside - trams, rowdy youths kicking over wheelie bins and lots lots of shouting. At 2am I tried to close the window despite the stuffiness but it would not close so could not shut out the noise, which continued virtually all night.
I woke at 7am after only a few hours sleep and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I drove to the nearest rest area on the toll road, parked up, got some breakfast and then had an hour or so kip in the car to try and be alert enough to drive the rest of my journey.
Unfortunately I had also booked this hotel for my return journey and despite complaining to the hotel about my stay they would not refund my second booking. I cut my losses and booked another hotel as I would not return here under any circumstances - I would have rather slept in my car all night!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

On arrival at Hotel Stars Bordeaux I was greeted by a dead decomposing bird on the welcome mat which I myself had to remove ! The poor bird had obviously been there for some weeks. this was a bad omen.

I was. It allowed to check I to my room till 2 pm . No attempt was made to ask if I had had a good journey or to offer me a coffee seeing as the. Breakfast room was still open.

When I finally got to my room in reminded ,e of a prison cell on board a naval vessel ! The small window has iron grilles over it and overlooks  a flat roof and some very drab concrete flats in the distance. A very old nautical theme including ripped striped wallpaper and strange lamps fixed to the wall. The bed was uncomfortable.

There is only one socket above the wardrobe which involves climbing on top of the wardrobe and disconnecting the TV which only has one English TV channel.

The bathroom is very decrepit and small. There is a bizarre system where by the shower works via the washbasin. The shower head won't move .

The keys to the room are old fashioned and heavy and the door lock does not appear to be particularly secure. Keys have to be handed in when leaving the hotel and the staff on reception seem to to change all the time so would have no idea what guests looked like ie one could just come off the street and blog a key to a room.

Last night the evening receptionist was on the sofa with his friend who did not work at the hotel eating take away food.

(Only one night receptionist asked me my name before heading over the key)

I asked him in French if he knew where the bus station was and he said he didn't know what a bus station was ! Very helpful not !

Like other visitors I noticed there is permanent sign on the door saying the hotel is full, which plainly it is not.

The corridors are dark and the carpets heavily stained.

Oh yes and no wi do in the rooms . Apart from that it is a great hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night in August... thankfully it was only one night!!

We arrived a couple of hours before check in time (2pm), The woman behind the counter gave us the death stare and snapped at us, saying check in was at 2pm! When we tried to check in a second time (1.55pm) she rudely snapped at us again!! When she finally checked us in, she was rude, unhelpful and extremely unfriendly.

The place is really close to the train station and tram stop, which is good! However, I wasn't too keen on coming in and out after dark, as it didnt feel like a very safe area!

The room is tiny, with dirty bedlinen (hairs and stains on the blankets). The bathroom is a random, tiny plastic cutout, wedged into the corner of the room... and the size of an aeroplane toilet!

I would not stay here again for the fact I never want to see that horrible receptionist again!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was clean, close to the station, comfortable and the staff were very kind and friendly - helping me with a request for a plaster, and good directions to nice restaurants. I felt that it was good value if what you need is somewhere well located that you can get a good night's sleep in. It does what you would expect from a two star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the back of the hotel.