“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 75 Bordeaux B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The owners are very friendly. When you arrive, you get a lot of great tips about the city and the restaurants. They recommended two restaurants and they were indeed very nice! The breakfast is good, the hostess makes sure there’s always enough food and drinks. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The tram is nearby.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I see there are several commentaries about rooms, the B&B decorations, etc., so I'd like to focus on personalities, and how the Maison Bleue was so welcoming and easy to stay at that its considerable comforts are even outshined by the people who run it. I stayed for two weeks at the Maison Bleue, but what struck me from the outset, and continued throughout my stay, was the conviviality and friendliness of Valerie and Fabrice, the owners of the Blue Lodge. They adjusted to my missed arrival, due to a cancelled flight from the US, and even before, were so accommodating that I almost couldn't believe I had gotten so lucky! When I arrived, smiles and chatter greeted me, both in French and English (you choose, because they speak both!). What was also remarkable is that they became almost like family - instructing me on where to go in Bordeaux, listening to the wrap ups of my day or, at breakfast, sitting and talking about the day to come - while they did not intrude in the least. Let's be clear: they run a business, and they were the utmost professionals. But they also epitomized the bed and breakfast experience as it should be: familiarity, kindness, assistance. The room was lovely (and I will move to their new place next year to try that out) and the breakfast was superb - actually TOO sumptuous (I gained weight!). Valerie often made a specialty, like a pear brulee, that was superb. I learned so much about France, Bordeaux, Europe, families, etc. from both of them. Wish I had talked even more to Fabrice about rugby!! The Blue Lodge was truly a home away from home; it is the warmest, most welcoming place I've ever stayed in all of Europe and America - truly!

Room Tip: I only rate sleep quality and location as very good, and not excellent, because my room was on the s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Propriétaire at A blue lodge in Bordeaux, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hi Tom,
Thank for this truly amasingly kind review. It was a pleasure to have you at home with your wife, and although we try and do our best for our customers, I hope we will remain faithfull and equal to the task you described ! Hope to see you next june, but - I think Fabrice already signaled it - it will be a Vinexpo year... and find accomodations and make the program with the students, will be very difficult during the period from the 16th till 20th of june. I don't know if the university is fully aware of it. If you ever faced some issues : call us, we may help.
Meanwhile, my best souvenirs to both of you.
Valérie.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We booked out two rooms in this B & B, one of which we asked for an extra bed to be placed. The hosts were very obliging, friendly and had great knowledge of the region. The rooms were lovely with very comfortable beds and extremely stylishly decorated. Most importantly the breakfast was delicious! Over the three nights that we stayed there was a new French breakfast treat each morning alongside very fresh pastries and coffee. Although slightly out of the city centre we found the 15-20 minute walk in easy, very safe and a great way to get to see the cities architecture and local shops. If walking is not your thing there is a tram stop very close by which takes you to the city in 5 minutes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We travel a great deal and this was just about the best B&B we have every stayed at. We were particularly impressed by how warm and friendly the hosts are. We were cycle touring and they kept some luggage for us between stays. They also kept our bikes while we did a side trip to Spain. They gave us lifts to and from the airport - nothing was too much trouble.

The accommodation is in a good location, a quiet street, about five minutes walk from the tram stop and a small shopping center. Trams run every few minutes and take about ten minutes to the center of Bordeaux. Our room was comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. We would highly recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We spent a night with Valerie and Fabrice in their home last Saturday. We were made most welcome and stayed in a lovely room with ensuite bathroom on the ground floor called The Kiss. The house is located about 15/20 mins from the centre of the city witth a very good transport system. We were served a great continental breakfast in the morning in the family part of the house with great conversation with the other guests, and Valerie on hand to answer all our many questions, giving great advice. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lauzerte, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We had high hopes of this B&B based on prior reviews, but were very disappointed. On arrival all seemed ok, and the owner was very friendly and hospitable. We were allocated what was called the "Parents' Room", which was full of personal items, and turned out to be exactly that - the owners' bedroom. The room had a private bathroom but it was across the hall past several other rooms. Arriving on Sunday evening there was nowhere local open for dinner so we had a 10minute walk to the tram then 15 minutes into the old centre of Bordeaux to eat. Parking was on-street and was a fair way from the house. Breakfast was bread roll with tea/coffee, termed "traditional breakfast" - which may be true but we've had much better elsewhere for the same price. At night our room was very hot, at least 5-10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house - we had to get up to have cold showers in the middle of the night to cool down. There was one small velux window which once we opened it let in a host of mosquitos. We barely slept and left, exhausted, after the second night, not staying the two further nights we had booked. When we left we found out that the "parents' room" was the owners room that they had let out to us because they were full but needed extra money. They said they knew how hot it got because it was their bedroom. It was disappointing that a financial need took precedence over the provision of a good service, which it seems other reviewers must have received, and which is generally not the norm for B&Bs in France.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
h2sh, Propriétaire at A blue lodge in Bordeaux, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear Steve and Shvorn,

We are sorry you had such a bad feeling about your 2 nights stay in our place. As a former quality manager, I have the habit to never argue with a customer : a customer is always right in some way. This is why I offered that the count was on us straight ahaid.

But let’s come back to the whole story :
You were offered, our personnal bedroom the largest of the whole house ( 25 m2 ) with 3,5 m high ceillings. This bedroom had original antics 19th century furniture that other bedrooms of this B and B don’t have ( an original english chest of drawer, Art déco bed tables, a library. Part of the dressing was still full of winter clothes, but our summer clothes were apart and you had a full cupboard for your use only ( maybe you didn’t notice the 1,2 m wide and empty cupboard). This room was rented along with a 10m2 private bathroom, with a double bowl and large shower space ( newly renovated, and totaly empty) in front ( not adjacent, but it was said and written into our mails : you had also some bathrobes at your disposal ). You had then a 35m2 for your use only : witch is not what people usually call a “box”. All other rooms are less than 21 m2 bathroom included.

First night seemed more than all right for you. You came for breakfast, relaxed and had a nice chat with me and 2 other english speaking customers. During breakfast, I received a phone call, it was my mother calling me in emergency because my grand mother was living her very last moments at the hospital. Did you noticed : no, and we went on chatting. So you can feel how much we care for our customers and know how to keep a stiff upper lip in order not to make them feel our distress. Even if this grand mother was the one who raised me… When you left to visit the town, me and my husband rushed to the hospital and stayed with her most of the afternoon untill she died. We’ve been there most of the day grand chidren and children to accompagny her, and say good bye.

We only came back, late at night. Not sure if you were in or out, I didn’t dare to come and knock at the door to come and open the window. We are used to open all windows during the time of our customers diner so that they can enter into a fresh room for the night.
You also had a plug to repel eventual mosquitos into your bedroom ( green product, made from plants : maybe you didn’t noticed it also /or didn’t know what to do with it).

Next morning I was up early preparing the breakfast, and you came saying you were leaving. We talked about all these. My grand Ma death, and all the previous… and also that we prefer to offer our own bedroom to extra customers, because this one is the more confortable, rather than any other left rooms.

I can’t help but notice that you don’t talk at all in your review, about my grand mother’s death witch lead to a hot room that night. I wish you could have stayed human if not understanding.

It is what, my husband and I try to be every single day, as a work - for money as you say – but also as a real pleasure 99% of the time, and a way of life for a 100 % of our time : be human and kind for every single individual. Even you and your husband.

You’re right, you truly deserve a real hotel with full air conditionning, without any open window all year long. With nobody to look after you : opening and closing your windows when the night comes. We offer a place that feels like a friend’s home, trust, care, and relationship with a cultural exchange and tips about the city : I am so sorry that you’ve been mislead.

Unfortunately, it also looks that you’ve been mislead more than once – as we can judge by the content of your 29 reviews on tripadvisor – maybe is it time to make the most of what you have and is offered to you. You were not cheated when coming to our place. But you have the habit of leaving after one night !! The never satisfied persons do not hapen to live true experiences and keep nice souvenirs.
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We found this B&B based on other tripadvisor reports and it is truly excellent.

We arrived 40 minutes late but received the warmest of welcomes from our host. From the outset we were made to feel more like a part of the family than a guest. Breakfast is served at the family table and you are given an immaculate room that feels more stopping at a favourite Aunt's house.

The B&B is easy to reach just off one of the main arterial routes through Bordeaux but on a quiet side street. Parking is relatively simple and free. You are a short walk to a tube stop and then only 8-10 mins ride from the centre of town.

It is also conventient for excursions out of town - we had a day in the vinyards to the South of Bordeaux and within 10 mins, we were clear of the urban sprawl.

No downsides at all - completely recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to A blue lodge in Bordeaux? Share your experiences!