“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Au Crocodile

Au Crocodile
10 Rue de l'Outre, 67000 Strasbourg, France (Mairie Nord)
3-88-32-13-02
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Au Crocodile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,056 Restaurants in Strasbourg
Cuisines: European, Diner, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mairie Nord
Description: Dans un cadre des plus romantique et dans une ambiance des plus prestigieuse, regalez-vous aupres de plats finement cuisines, pour un voyage des sens assure.
Brussels, Belgium
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Very cosy elegant atmosphere, classy and a bit retro. Excellent, friendly service, perhaps a bit hasty at times but at least there was not the inconvenience of having to wait too long between each course. Exquisite food and good choices of wine to go with it. Interesting flavours and attention given to details. Also a feast for the eyes! I will certainly come back.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Basel, Switzerland
“Don't Book on a Public Holiday”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

In short:

Went for lunch on May 1st. Despite friendly reception, our lunch menu with paired wines was hastily served (second wine glass with starter was poured not even halfway through the upsold champagne glasses), and both the first plate of cold fish, and the cold dessert tasted like they were prepared the evening before the chef went on holidays for the public holiday. If this is not the case, the food was just plain disappointing.

It was my third visit, and previously I always thought Michelin was ridiculous for having written that this place had gone downhill. It was memorable in both previous occasions for lunch and dinner. This time was a serious let down. For the price, there should be no let downs.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Marine B, assitante communication at Au Crocodile, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello,

At first we want to thank you for your comment. We take into account your remarks and we do our utmost so that it does not reproduce any more.

Our team will meet to proceed to improvements by basing us on your comment. Do not hesitate to share a future possible visit to help us always more in our research for customer satisfaction.

In this expectation, all the team of the restaurant wishes you a good day.
Scotland
“Appalling”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I booked this restaurant on the strength of the reviews here about two months in advance. I'd really been looking forward to it and it was the last night of our stay. We were seated in a room which acted as a corridor to another part of the restaurant. It was ok but not what I had been expecting from the pictures. We were given a menu but no wine list. I was offered a glass of champagne but declined as I didn't want to drink before the meal. When we chose our food, the waiter asked if I wanted a glass of champagne. I said no, I still didn't want a glass. "But madame, it is included in your menu" I was pretty annoyed as I could afford a glass if I had wanted one but clearly didn't. When we were offered bread the waiter gave us a choice of two types even though there were several in the basket. I had to ask him to explain what the rest of the rolls were so we were able to choose. Our amuse bouche was citron neige "yellow snow". We were amazed that a restaurant would serve something like this and found it funny until we realised this was to prepare us for what was to come. We chose a menu with wine to match each course. The courses were served so quickly that we didn't have time to finish our glass of wine. The first three courses were served in less than 30 minutes. I felt like a foie gras duck! The first course was langoustine soup with ravioli. It is without question the worst ravioli I've ever had. It was three or four small thick flat discs of pasta with virtually no filling. The soup was like a bisque that had bits of shell as it hadn't been strained. It was far too rich for a soup and too much in quantity. The second course was pollock. I don't know if it wasn't seasoned correctly or if the soup was so strong that I was unable to taste anything. The third course was steak. It was cooked perfectly but had so much salt on it was impossible to eat. During the meal the waiter brought us a second bottle of water and instead of being flat like the first it was sparkling. We asked them to change it and they said that my partner had ordered it which they hadn't as I hadn't left the table at any point. They changed the water but didn't apologise The service was aggressive and stressful. The staff stormed through the restaurant noisily. When the waiter poured the water, he turned the bottle 180 degrees splashing water on the table. I've never left a restaurant half way through the meal but we asked for the bill after the steak arrived. The waiter left us sitting for 10 minutes while he served other tables and eventually returned to say that there was no bill. I asked repeatedly for the bill as I wanted to pay but that I didn't want to finish the meal and he just repeated that there was no bill. My partner left 50 euros in cash as that was all we had as we had intended paying for the meal on our card. This experience ruined the last night of our holiday and I can't stress enough that you shouldn't make the same mistake as I did as we found many other great restaurants in Strasbourg such as Umami and Perles de Saveurs

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Marine B, assitante communication at Au Crocodile, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello,

We thank you for expressing us your opinion. We take into account your remarks to improve and we hope.

Landstuhl, Germany
“Great service, awesome food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The ambience, the service and the meal was top notch. I made the reservations in the morning for dinner the same evening and requested a quiet romantic table. I was quite suprised to be provided the best table in the restaurant. It was a table set in an alcove with it's own chandelier, the only table of it's kind in the restaurant. The service was great, the food was exceptional and the wine pairing the sommelier put together for the courses was superb. My wife and I had a fantastic, romantic meal. An impressive retaurant with rich history - a must if you're ever in the Strasbourg region!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hello,

We thank you for expressing us your opinion.

Groningen
“Great food in a superb ambiance of European renown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a place steeped in European history. the first Draft Treaty on European Union was discussed and prepared here; in its heyday it had 3 Michelin Stars and was unmissable. The present owner has kept the ambiance, serves exquisite classical food, but with inspired touches. In my view he must be knocking on the door for a second star.
I went for lunch - there is an excellent business lunch for 39 Euros. Grab it! They have an extensive wine list, but also a set accompanying wines offered for lunch for 25 Euros, with coffee / tea and mignardises included. I had an incredible dessert, chocolate and vanilla, presented with the most exquisite thin sheet of chocolate, decorated in the style of crocodile skin.
The whole experience is not to be missed. it was a year since i was last there, but I was immediately recognised by the staff and welcomed home. The Maitre d'hôtel is a tour de force: superb at his craft and skilled at making everyone feel at ease.
Last year I went for dinner as well, also great, although the price for dinner is, as one might expect, rather higher. But certainly worth it!

Visited March 2014
Hello,

We thank you for expressing us your opinion.