“Great location and rooms, but be careful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cathedrale

Save Saved
You added Hotel Cathedrale to your Saves list
Hotel Cathedrale
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12-13 Place de la Cathedrale, 67000 Strasbourg, France (Mairie Sud)   |
Ranked #46 of 131 hotels in Strasbourg
seattle, wa
“Great location and rooms, but be careful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed here for four days in June 2012. Loved the location - you are right next to the Cathedral and are within walking distance of most sights. Wonderful if you have a young child as it is easy to bring them back there to rest when needed. We took our baby with us and was provided a cot at no charge. The room itself is quite nice, and we didn't have problems with the bells tolling too loudly. There is a small stove and a coffee maker (albeit dirty), as well as some pots and pans and a small fridge. No microwave, even though it states there is one on the hotel's website. And note - the Residence is actually a set of suites that is managed/owned by the Hotel Cathedrale, at a different location that is about 100 meters away from the hotel. You'll need to check in first at the hotel, then walk to the Residence, which wasn't too difficult to manage. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as there are quite a few fantastic cafes to eat at, where you can get your fill for less than 10 euros a person.

However, there were a few things of concern. We had reserved parking in advance, and were instructed to call when we were about 5 minutes away, as the hotel is on a pedestrian only area. It was very difficult getting to the parking garage we were instructed to go to, especially since the streets are very hard to navigate if you've not been there before. Once we got to the parking garage, we were told to unload and actually go to another garage instead. This was quite difficult with our baby and all the stuff we brought. The actual parking garage was extremely dark and very narrow. Since we weren't going to drive until we left the location, this was ok.

At this point, I was eager to be showed to our room. Once I got to the front desk and showed them my booking confirmation, they tried to put me in a room in the hotel that was tiny, with no fridge or stove. I made repeated attempts to clarify the fact that I was in the Residence (which was also stated on my booking confirmation, thank goodness I had printed it out) and not the hotel, but they played dumb as if I had booked a room in the hotel. When they showed us the first room and started to put our bags away, I immediately walked out, told them it was not the right room as we needed a kitchen to make milk for the baby. They told us it was the right room, and that we could use the hotel kitchen to make milk. I then told the porter that I was taking it up with management, to which he responded by taking my booking confirmation, walking with me to the front desk and then talking to the reservations agent in French. After about 10 minutes, they told me that it was Booking.com's fault and they had "found a solution". They then escorted us to the Residence and it appeared all was worked out.

That was really the biggest issue we encountered - be sure to print out your booking confirmation prior to staying here so that you don't run into any issues. And don't let them bully you into a lesser room! One other thing - if you are on the 4th floor or higher, the internet may not work. I had to go to the first floor to get a wifi signal.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less wifi access.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

This hotel is located across from the front doors to the Strasbourg Cathedral. The location and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, especially Ms. Bayram, made this an exceptionally good choice for us. The room itself was adequate. We drove our rental car there, and if I could do it over, I would not have driven. The downtown (old city) part of Strasbourg is much better confronted on foot. I had a lot of difficulty finding the different parking garages, and when I did find the one we were looking for, it was full. We were fortunate to find a place to park on the street, check into the hotel, and then later parked in another street slot further from the hotel. I worried about the security, but it all worked out fine. We actually ended up saving money that way. (This was a Saturday night, and after a cerain hour street parking is free.)

Room Tip: I believe Rick Steves recommends paying for a room looking out on the cathedral. We did not. Our r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kortenberg, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Lovely hotel with comfortable rooms each with a own style. Super friendly staff and the reception staff tries really hard to give you a warm welcome.
Situated in the heart of Strasbourg

Room Tip: The front rooms have a lovely vieuw on the Cathedrale, but o the first floor you hear the cosy nois...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Bern, Bern, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

i thought we got a room for a good price in a nice hotel. however it turned out that it was a horrible choice. our room did not have any windows facing outside, only one which was facing the main staircase. Therefore the room was really hot and there was no way we could have lowered the temperature. We asked the receptionist and he said we will have a look at it, but he didn't. IF you plan to stay at this hotel (because it looks nice on the photos and has a nice voting) don't go for the cheapest room, because they are definitevly not worth the money you pay.. and you should ask for a window facing outside as well. Do not take breakfast, there are many nice bakerys around which have the most wonderful croissants to start your day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

Unexpectedly beautiful! I cannot wait to visit again! Room 36 is great and yes, "a room with a view"! The bells added to the charm of the place, did not bother us when the window was closed, every single person at the reception was helpful, kind and very friendly! Room service was fast, food was very good and plentiful. Strasbourg is one of the most beautiful cities I visited! I will definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

This hotel has great rooms compared to the cathedral. we had the barber room which has enough space and an amazing view to the cathedral. the room and the bathroom was very clean with all amenities what we expected- The hotel has not an own parking space, but close to the hotel, there is a free possibility if you stay in this hotel. great value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Just next to the cathedral, bells on sunday, but ok, excellent lady receptionist, hotel parking close, portier, didn't go to breakfast, but the buffet looked nice, hotel nice furnished, off season price, perfect!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Hotel Cathedrale? Share your experiences!