“Back to the 70's..Orange / wood pannelled Retro rooms included.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Strasbourg
Sydney, Australia
“Back to the 70's..Orange / wood pannelled Retro rooms included.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Unfortunately on a cold winters day we pulled up at the door with reservation in hand to stay at this property and had difficulty accessing the property as there was a large number of guests leaving (4.30pm) and their movements and cars were blocking the front entrance. When we were able to park a short distance away we battled through the smokers (as this was the only covered space for guests to smoke protected from the weather) to the reception.
The staff were not the usual hilton hotel property good quality (HHonours member) nor was the room we were checked into. The room was spacious with tired carpet, bed and fittings and a large bathroom had seen better days. The orange / wood pannelled accessories were a blast from the past!
The best part of this stay was the concierage who promptly ordered our taxi for the city that night and his recommendation of a restaurant in the historical part of the city.
To be fair I feel this hotel is more suited to host business conferences where accomodation is offered at a economical value or large touring groups.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor due to the road noise and maybe one that has been refurbished? (hop...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Katharina S, General Manager at Hilton Strasbourg, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Hilton Strasbourg. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns on tripadvisor. Guest feedback is a valuable tool and is one of the means by which we are able to ensure that our standards are maintained at the level that Hilton's guests have rightly come to expect. Please accept my sincere apologises for the fact that we have not met your expectations during your stay. I have read your comments with most interest, and shared them with the management team for their review and action planning. I have also shared your positive comments with our Concierge. Please rest assured that I do understand your expectations when staying in a Hilton hotel, and that we do our utmost to provide the best service to all our guests. Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance you may require.

Katharina Schlaipfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

First things first: the outstanding thing about the Hilton Strasbourg is their staff. I have stayed in many hotels over the years and even at a fair number of Hilton properties, but I have hardly ever experienced a more attentive, efficient and friendly staff. I have stayed there once a month since the beginning of the year and could always rely on them to help me resolve small and sometimes bigger problems, which quite often had nothing to do with the hotel.
For the rest, it all depends on what you want to do in Strasbourg and on what you expect from your hotel.
Please keep in mind one peculiarity about hotels in Strasbourg. Durind the week of the plenary session, prices go up, anywhere inStrasbourg. The Hilton is no exception. You can book the same room during a regular weekend, for example, at a third of the price of the plenary sitting! All over Strasbourg hotel prices are blown up during that week and do not correspond to the real quality/standard of any of the hotels.

So my evaluation is based on the 'regular' price.

The hotel is situated at ten minutes walking distance from the European Parliament. Very practical if you have to go there. If you want to walk into town, it will take you between 15 and 20 minutes, you could also take the tramway ( 4 stops to get to the center ), the stop is about 3/4 min from the hotel. I thought the location was fine, but you do not really have any restaurants very close to the hotel and if you want to be in the historic center of Strasbourg, you will want to stay somewhere else.
Over the past six months, I stayed in different rooms. The rooms on the executive floors are more modern than the others, although the differrence is not dramatic.
Usually, breakfast is not included in the price. All in all, the buffet is nice - without being extraordinary - you have a variety of different choices from the buffet and can order omelettes or eggs, for example. During May and June, I had the impression that the choice at the buffet was a little more restricted than before, no more smoked salmon, other type of yoghurt. This may sound a little petty, but since breakfast is not for free I thought I should mention it. The service, like everywhere else, is very friendly and attentive.

The one thing that could be improved a lot is the fitness center. One rowing machine, one bike and two treadmills, one mat, two swiss balls and a set of free weights ranging from two to twenty kg. No bench. Of course you can always do some exercise, but the possibilities are rather limited, especially because the room is very small and very hot. There seems to be a constant problem with the air conditionning. The sauna is nice, but keep in mind that there are no changing rooms down there. There is a shower next to the sauna, but no room to leave your clothes.

The executive lounge had quite a generous policy until April, with refreshments, wine and beer and snacks virtually around the clock. Now the schedule is that of most Hilton properties - which is perfectly ok, though. The lounge felt nice and cosy during the winter months, but a little dark now during the summer. There are now windows since it is situated in the interior of the building.
There is a small business center next to the reception in the lobby where you have access to three computers and can print documents, Wifi is free in the lobby area, but not in the rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Katharina S, General Manager at Hilton Strasbourg, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stays in our hotel. I am so pleased to read that thanks to our employees you have always had an excellent stay here with us. We also thank you for your detailed review on our facilities and the city, it is very useful for travelers to Strasbourg and to our hotel. Furthermore I do appreciate your constructive comments about the breakfast and our Fitness room. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Strasbourg or any other Hilton Hotel in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further assistance.

Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is our first time in Strasbourg and our first stay at the Hilton Strasbourg. We stayed in one of the five junior suites and the room is efficiently laid out. I like lots of counter space and this room offers more than I can use. And this hotel still offers a bidet, which is perfect for soaking aching feet.

We had breakfast every morning in the restaurant and Jana was on top of everything. She ensured that the customer is happy with the service and suggested items from the buffet that I hadn't tried.

Jean-Marie, the concierge, deserves special recognition for making numerous phone calls until he found a shop with my favorite champagne.

Although the hotel is not in the city center, it is only a two-minute walk to the tram station and less than a 10-minute ride to the city center. Do not let the fact that it is outside of city center discourage you from staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel and our team members Jana, Samantha and Jean-Marie! Your kind comments have been shared with them. We are delighted to read that your stay met your expectations and it was a real pleasure to meeting you personally at your departure.
Kind regards,

Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel is good in all aspects; the location, the room, the comfort, pleasant service,... The only negative aspect is that they make money on the WIFI. It is not practical for a business traveller. They charge 15€ for 24 hours for internet in the room. Outrageous! In the internet era we live, it is almost a shame to charge for internet. It feels like they charge you for the air you breathe, since it does not cost much for them to offer free internet. It would only raise their value and create loyalty. They should take example from IHG Hotels offering free internet in their top hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Strasbourg and for having taken the time to share your comments following your recent stay in our hotel. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Especially your comment regarding free WIFI in our bedrooms has been shared with Hilton Worldwide. Please note that WIFI is free of charge in all public areas. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

St. Albans, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Fair distance from the centre - and taxis not cheap. Decor has been gradually getting tired over the years. Rooms also. Free wifi in Lobby. Expensive all round if you don't get an advance deal. Bar prices on the steep side also. New lounge but you have to be executive Gold to get in. I had a sneaky look - old dark wood - like an American country club. Staff service mixed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Hilton Strasbourg. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns on tripadvisor. Please accept my sincere apologises for the fact that we have not met your expectations during your stay. I have read your comments with most interest, and shared them with the management team for their review and action planning.
I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back, when I am sure you will experience what Hilton stands for. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any request or assistance you might have in the future directly.

Kind regards,

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Hilton Strasbourg is a convenient walk to the metro and only three stops away from the cathedral - good location for getting around town.

The room was fairly large for European standards and offered standard amenities. Free wifi is available in the lobby only.

Breakfast was decent, but drinks at the bar were expensive. I think a vodka tonic came close to 20€.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Camille S, Social Media Specialist at Hilton Strasbourg, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Strasbourg and for having taken the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We are very pleased to read that your stay with us was pleasant and have taken good note of your remark regarding our prices at the bar.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Hilton Strasbourg or any other Hilton Hotel .

Kind regards

Camille Smoczynski
Social Media Specialist
Angola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am in Strasbourg for almost 17 years, used to live in Paris for almost 30 years and travel the world during the same period.
This Hilton is old with 2 refreshed bars and the restaurant inside.
The room we booked for the family from Paris was old and not refreshed.

Avoid the Brunch... incredibly low value for the money, the cooks are hilarious (working on Sunday in France, what a curious idea...) and seem to have anything to do except working, etc...
The worst is coming with the shrimps (from pink to green (yes...)), the duck (I love duck but not the (also) green (Irish cook?)) is cold and smell so bad you run to the pastries which are heaven compared to the poor killed animals served there...

3 stars because I remember last year it was not that horrible and maybe original employees left...
Just praying...

Room Tip: allez autre part pour choisir une bonne chambre...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologises for the fact that we have not met your expectations during your stay and at our Sunday Brunch. I have read your comments with most interest, and shared them with the management team for their review and action planning.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback. I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back, when I am sure you will experience what Hilton stands for. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any request or assistance you might have in the future.

Katharina Schlaipfer

Been to Hilton Strasbourg? Share your experiences!