“A happy restaurant. Great on a Sunday night!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 203 Restaurants in Colmar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Brisbane, Australia
“A happy restaurant. Great on a Sunday night!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Being a Sunday night in France is always a challenge at the best of times, but trying to eat before the usual French restaurant opening  times sets another challenge.  So we were very happy when we stumbled on Schwendi,a typically Alsace bar and restaurant, and full of people like us eo wanted to eat early.It was busy and a very happy place, the service was good, the local specialities looked good. We opted for veal schnitzel and chicken breast both were excellent, the dessert, however, was another story, listed on the menu as a Tarte aux bananes flambe, was actually just a few slices of bananas thrown on to a pizza base, very odd and not at all appealing or enjoyable.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Toronto
“This is why we travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

A unpretentious eatery with very good food, lots of locals and reasonable prices compared to nearby competitors---this kind of place gets our vote every time. We came in out of the rain and had a great time. The wine was amongst the best value we paid for across France and the service was just right: prompt, efficient and attentive wizout attitude. One eat indoors or outside on its obvious patio.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good rich food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We ordered a salad and 2 roesti dishes. The waiter advised us not to order too much, because of the richness of the roesti. He was right. The quality of the food was good and service was quick. The beer was great! Good coffee to finish with.

Brussels, Belgium
“Go there for a drink on the terrace but DON'T TAKE A MEAL THERE !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very well located in the historic old town, this place looks fine with a large terrace.
We decided to have dinner there.
My wife wanted to taste one of their rösti. The quantity was huge but the quality very much below standard. My wife was very disappointed as the grated potatoes were hardly cooked. I still believe the only good rösti is the one the Swiss have the secret of.
I was much less hungry than my wife. So, I decided to take one of my favourite local dishes : flammekueche. I chose a simple one. Poor, very poor ! The paste was not cooked enough. It was flexible and soft whilst it is normally crunchy. On top of that, the one I received was not the one I had ordered. I chose not to complain as it would take quite a bit of time to prepare the one I had asked for and meanwhile my wife's rösti would be cold.
The waiters seem to be young students hired as extras during summer. They are not very efficient also in terms of timing.
Our advice is clear : take advantage of the terrace for a drink, but don't have a meal there. There are many other places in Colmar where you can eat good food.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Tx
“German pub feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

A fun place...outdoor cafe with lively staff. The food was very good and location around all of the action of Colmar was perfect to people watch.

Visited September 2012