“Should have stayed here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manchester

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Salt Lake
“Should have stayed here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

My husband and I visited Manchester on a day trip from Liverpool, UK. We spent the afternoon walking the city before we went to a concert at Manchester University. Manchester is a very walkable, beautiful city. The big mall downtown is a huge draw and fun to walk, check out the street performers, buy a jacket potato from a street vendor and do a little shopping. Our favorite part of Manchester, however, was the walk to the Roman ruins. We stopped in the Cornerhouse, a film and modern art venue, along the way. The exhibits are very different, very conceptual, and really fun to try to wrap your head around. The attendant in the top floor exhibit was especially fun to talk to. He told us about Manchester, the pride the locals take in their city, and recommended other galleries to see local artists. BTW the food is really good, kinda pricey, but fantastic in the Cornerhouse cafe. The University area, along Oxford road is covered in amazing street art, probably the best I saw in the UK. Also stop in the Deaf Institute for some comfort food and cider on tap. Nothing was showing while we were there, but they do get some interesting bands playing there as well. In the end, both of us agreed that we should have stayed in Manchester and taken a day trip to Liverpool.

County Durham
“Meet & Greet, Manchester Airport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I was staying overnight at the Radisson Blu (SAS), and wanted my car taken away, looked after, and valeted before it was redelivered to me at the end of the three week holiday in Egypt.
Panic! But I had no need to worry; I phoned Elite Valet Parking and asked if they could collect the car when I arrived at the Hotel rather than at one of the terminals. I was told this would not be a problem, give them a call 10 minutes before I arrived at the hotel and there would be a suited chauffeur at the hotel to drive the car away. Not knowing the area, I called them as soon as I arrived at the hotel, and on queue, 10 minutes later, a very smart and charming driver turned up to collect the car.
3 minutes to do the paperwork and off he went. On my return, after a long night of delays and time in the air, and a short sleep at the hotel, and I phoned Elite Valet Parking on my way downstairs to settle the bill, and again only 10 minutes later, as agreed, there was the chauffeur with a washed and cleaned car, already warmed up, ready to take me back to the North East.
Great service, good price, polite, courteous and well worth the peace of mind to recommend this service to anyone driving to Manchester airport, whether or not you are staying overnight, because they offer the same service from the Terminals and Railway Station as well.
Excellent!
Peeter from Durham

UK
“A trip back in Time - A capital of the north”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

As the unofficial capital of the region, Manchester makes an ideal base for exploring the North of England. For days out head for the stunning countryside of the Lake District, Lancashire and the Peak District or make the most of the city’s transport links to visit local market towns, the vibrant City of Liverpool (European Capital of Culture 2008) or the historic cities of Chester or York…
A unique energy and drive makes it a destination to be fully explored and a great range of parks, pools and city districts gives plenty to see and do..

Pros: "Excellent range of attractions, good transport links, energy"
Cons: "Book in advance, a good range of hotels, but pricey"
In A Nutshell: "Worth a visit!"

New York City
“Worth seeing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Went there for Manchester International Festival, plus always wanted to see the place where the better part of music history was created. Great music tour, strongly recommended.
The city is not "ugly" as many may think. It is a very old town, and if you re not planning on hanging in the area of greater Manchester, you will enjoy old architecture and spirit of England (if you enjoy it, I do). Find a hotel in Northern Quarter - hip crowd, cafes and stores are all there. Three days trip is perfect for seeing Manchester.

Basel, Switzerland
“surprise, surprise - there's more than london when it comes to british cities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

honestly, i didn't expect much of the city, only came for the Manchester International Festival. however, the city in itself is worth a visit having undergone - and still being in the process of - a major redevelopment toward a modern city of the 21st century. check out spinningfields and harbour city if you're interested in modern urban architecture. browse the shops in the northern quarter for individual fashion finds. take your seat in the "amphitheatre" of exchange square observing the bustling crowds.

Been to Manchester? Share your experiences!