“Super fish, Italian service and ambiguous steak” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: The first branch in Sergio Stefano's renowned San Rocco Italian restaurant chain, this eatery in Manchester's South King Street opened in 1971 and has been a hit ever since. The light-filled dining room – with wooden floors, crisp white linens, potted plants and open-plan stainless steel kitchen – has a cosmopolitan ambience ideal for business meetings and stylish get-togethers with friends and family. Signature dishes from the traditional Italian menu include the Penne al Salmone in a creamy tomato sauce; the Filetto alla Griglia – fillet steak with grilled cherry tomatoes and field mushrooms with rosemary potatoes; and the Risotto al Pollo with barbecued chicken, peas and tomatoes. San Rocco also has an excellent Italian-led wine list.
Castillon du Gard, France
“Super fish, Italian service and ambiguous steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

You can if you wish, go to San Rocco, tucked away in King Street West, by the side of what will always be for me, adopted Mancunian, no matter where I live, arrived in 1959, Kendals, to gaze at celebs. I prefer to concentrate on the food, although it is reassuring to notice the photo gallery on the wall which show Pavarotti, Capello, Ferdinand and a plethora of unidentifiable lithe young clearly celeb women with smiles on their faces.

I have been to San Rocco many times over the years since it first opened while I was a physocs prof at the University, liviong at the other end of Deansgate in an 1833 warehouse which I think is now a radio station.

In San Rocco, you get the Italian experience. All the staff are Italian and hence enthusiastic and friendly. I like it because the place is always lively and busy, any time of the day. You can walk in lunch or dinner during the week and even when it looks full, there will probably be a table tucked away for you. I suspect that Thurs, Fri, Sat evening, it might be best to book.

I had grilled whole sea bass on my last vist (mid Oct 2013) and I ahve to say, i have to say, it was the best bass I have had in year. Mrs Fillet ordered a "Aberdeenshire Fillet" and I can only quote her, as the most expert of fillet appreciaters I have ever known: "I began to have doubts when they replaced my knife with a machete and the doubts were intensified when I noticed that the fillet had been already cut into thin slices." It was red but it was far too tough for a fillet. They need to have a long talk with their butcher. I know they know, otherwise you would not supply a machete to cut a fillet. It should be as the Germans say: "Butterweich".

We had the house Gavi, a good choice. I like Piedmont wines. Be careful and pay attention when you order wine because you might get hustled, where the emphasis is on the wine and the price is not mentioned. Having ordered hosue Gavi, I got brought a Gavi costing 3 times as much and fortunately, I was alert to it. Browns in Albemarle Street in London also pull this stunt so I wont blame SR too much. Caveat potator.

I will be back. Of course i will.

Visited October 2013

“Worth a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a busy Saturday night with some friends.A little hard to find down a side street.The service was good and the food was nice.Overall a nice place to eat but thought it was a little bit dear for the food we got.The portions of food were small for the price we paid.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“Always nice food here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have visited this restaurant on a few occasions and the service and food has always been excellent. I cant understand why it isnt higher up the ratings than it is! There are so many rubbish Italians in Manchester which are a lot higher than this restaurant which offer very ordinary pasta dishes for over £15 but San Rocco is not like that atall. I applaud the fact that they are a little bit more imaginative than other Italian restaurants. I had pernod flavoured scampi and pasta with a rich creamy gorganzola cheese. It is a little hidden away in Manchester but not such a bad thing as you know that it is busy because people appreciate good pasta when they taste it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester
“Old faithful in the city centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Manchester has a number of trendy new Italian restaurants, some of which are overrated, but San Rocco (formerly Cesare Ristorante) is one of Manchester's oldest, formal Italian restaurants. It is modern, comfortable and the food is always excellent.

Visited November 2012
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We came here for the first time about two years ago and I’m pleased to say the standards were just as high this time round.

We both had prawns for starters – really good. For mains, my wife chose a nice chicken dish with white wine and mushrooms, good sized portion and I had the halibut with salad. Again all very tasty. Staff very attentive and provided good service, tables well presented. Thought the price was reasonable for 3 courses each with wine. The only possible criticism was that the base on the lemon cheesecake was rather thick, but that’s a minor niggle. Definitely going back, though.

• Visited May 2013