“Great food, shame the place was so quiet.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food, shame the place was so quiet.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Went here on New Year's Eve with a group of friends, we ordered many starters all of which were delicious, especially the whitebait. We had a few main courses, they had run out of a few things however. The service was quick and the owner was friendly. Downside was that it was cold, and when we asked to put the heating on it was just a portable heater. The lighting is quite bright and the place could do with some new paintwork etc.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“I cannot believe there are 450 restaurants worse than this in Manchester”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Visited after the place had been closed for a while apparently due to boiler trouble. The proprietor shouldn't have bothered and really needs to find another career.

Don't even want to think about the food. We told the proprietor that we were not impressed with the food but he told us we were wrong and it was in fact lovely.

Grubby and freezing which wouldn't have been so bad if the food was edible.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“PLEASE AVOID. Place is a disgrace ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I wouldn't normally write a review on a restaurant, but I thought I had to with the Cedar Tree. I did not want anyone else to make the same mistake I did. Monday evening I visited the tired and dirty looking restaurant, I was greeted by a sweaty man with food all over his shirt (he was the waiter, chef & manager) he was pleasant enough, and I ended up feeling sorry for him.
Everything about this restaurant makes me wonder how it is still allowed to be open? Surely food hygiene need to go in and check the place out. I have eaten lots of Middle eastern food, let's just say I couldn't manage to eat most of my meal, the smell of off meat and strange looking dishes put me off my meal completely. I feel sorry for the guy who owns this restaurant as he must think his food is nice. But I think it's time he hung up his chefs apron and called it a day.

UK
“An embarrassment to Lebanese cuisine.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Been here two or three times in past years and I can understand why, on the rare occasions when it's actually open, the place is empty. The Lebanese owner and his morose young friend struggle to service two tables and with three occupied, service collapses because they are so busy in the kitchen. The food is third rate, the Lebanese salad consisting of some soggy lettuce swimming in a sea of oil, the grilled halloumi disappointingly smothered in spice powder and the homous absolutely inedible with raw garlic while the grilled meats were dry, tough, tepid and lacked flavour.

The premises are filthy and run-down, the toilets gopping (which always says a lot about the owner's attitude to hygiene) and the bill was presented on a greasy scrap of paper torn from a notebook and not seeming to add up whichever way you do it.

Lebanese food is usually so delicious, fresh and healthy and the service so speedy, professional and friendly that their restaurants are always buzzing with happy, contented diners. Sorry Mr Shahin, it's time you closed the doors for good. Manchester desperately needs a proper Lebanese restauraunt (we have petitioned the superb Maroush in London to come and open up but they say it's difficult to get good chefs) and you are not doing the image of Lebanese food and hospitality any favours. Hallas!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Truly awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Please avoid this place at all cost.

There is a reason why this "restaurant" is empty on a weekend evening in one of the most vibrant parts of Manchester.

It is truly dire.

We paid over thirty pounds for two plates of tough meat and two cans of pop, served by a grouchy bloke in dirty tracksuit bottoms.

Ought to be closed down by environmental health and trading standards.

Visited May 2013