“I Wanted to Love it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mr Thomas's Chop House

Mr Thomas's Chop House
52 Cross Street, Manchester M2 7AR, England (Manchester City Centre)
+44 (0)161 832 2245
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr Thomas's Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 1,642 restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manchester City Centre
“I Wanted to Love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I love the idea of an original victorian chop house serving traditional dishes. The building certainly did not disappoint as it packed full of fantastic original features and details. The wine list was good and the waiter was friendly and very knowledgeable. The food though just left me a bit underwhelmed. I like steak puddings and fortunately my partner ordered one and shared some. The filling was generous and fantastic in terms of both taste and texture. The suet pastry however was very dull being heavy, dry and thick. The chips though were excellent.

I was tempted by the famous corned beef hash. I have to say that I thoughtthat the texture with the potatoes incorporated saved it from being claggy and depth of flavour was really very good. Unfotunately, it was only just warm and for the money I thought it was a little on the expensive side but that might just me and my memories of huge plates of beef hash served when I was a child.

In reality I think my expectation spoiled the experience when it did not quite live up to it. Would I go again? probably, where else do you get beef hash and steak pudding served in such surroundings? plus, it may be just that little better next time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I have passed your comments onto our Head Chef as we do like constructive comments from our customers. All our food is cooked on site and locally sourced.

77% Recommend
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Honest Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Great staff, and really nice food. The menu choice is old fashioned, but that made a nice change.

Nice decor and although they have outdoor seating it's a little hard to find.

I will certainly be going back next time I am in Manchester.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Great to hear you enjoyed your visit. We are at present having a lot of work done on the building which should be completed by the 16th November of thereabouts, should look terrific once the scaffolding is been removed, and should make it easier to cut through to our beer garden.
YORKSHIRE
“AN HONEST MANCHESTER PUB AND EATERY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just had fab food ( smoked haddock risotto ) and (steak and kidney Pudd ) full to bursting - great service - last minute - love Manchester so glad to go back to this place - well worth a visit. Tiled Victorian basic and brilliant. Smashing veg - fresh colourful and plenty of it!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review and great to hear you enjoyed the Smoked haddock risotto this is one of our new dishes and of course our Steak and Kidney pudding is one of our all time favourites.
manchester
“Great pub with superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Dropped in for a quick pre theatre meal. Food was superb. Pub style menu but with a definite air of sophistication. Food came quickly and service was efficient. Beer a little pricey but overall really impressed went beyond expectations.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review pleased to see you enjoyed your evening
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Beautiful, old-style eatery-pub, with food requiring some lifting!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Enter from Cross Street and experience an amazing travel 100 years back in time! Rustic, vintage and warmth are filling the place.

Nice smiling welcome from the girls on the service.

The menu provides a few steak and meat options but also some fish and seafood dishes. The food here is certainly designed well and sounds very appetizing and tasteful. However there are glitches which affect the final result on the plate'.

A descent job has been done around the wine, with a good selection of labels, choice for small or bigger glass for many wines in addition to the bottle, etc. However it is sad to see that all this effort is ruined by serving the wine warm and in the wrong glasses.

Around 35-40 pounds per person. I would not call it very good value for money.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
I will pass our food comments to our new head chef. A new menu is being launched this week for the autumn seasons, hopefully any "glitches" will be removed. I will also pass our comments about the wine temperature and presentation to our head sommelier. As we pride ourselves in our wine lists and knowledge. I take this comment very seriously. Thank you for your review.