“My favourite Manchester restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

+44 (0)161 832 2245
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr Thomas's Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #270 of 1,718 Restaurants in Manchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Crewe
“My favourite Manchester restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I've eaten at Mr Thomas's Chop House for a good number of years. For me, it feels like a Manchester institution, almost like stepping back in time to the Victorian age. The Corned Beef Hash is a particular favourite of mine. My friends who I ate there with a couple of evenings ago tried the Steak & Kidney pudding, fish & chips, mussels as well as a selection of desserts.

There's a lovely bar which can sometimes get very busy.

I'm not impressed by service being included on the bill as standard, though I understand that it can be requested to be removed, I'd prefer it not be included as standard and the amount determined by the customer.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Greenhithe, United Kingdom
“Excellent pub food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went there for an after meeting meal with our working party. The booking process seemed tedious and there were no parking nearby, not that we needed any as it was at a walking distance. The décor of the pub is quite old, perhaps to match with the age of the pub which is about 150 years old. The pub was very busy and ordering drinks seemed to take a long time. The seating area is a bit claustrophobic and being part of a large party, we sat down on a long table so every time someone had to go out, the whole row had to stand up. Enough said bout the things that can't be avoided for a century old restaurant located at a prime location in Manchester, coming to food, it is gorgeous. I had hash cake which they are famous for, and you'll hear a lot about their brown onion soup as well. The dessert was delicious as well. I did like the food and will be looking forward to going back

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
manchester
“Over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

First of all there is doubt that is a great location, with history and everything is very well presented. I am sure it has all been said before. However the context of this was we wanted to go somewhere different for a good Sunday roast. Appreciated that this place would not be 'piling it high' on the plate but sometimes you have to balance quality, quantity and price. In this respect when we ordered a chicken roast we were expecting something a bit more substantial than what we actually received. Yes it did clearly refer to a chicken breast sourced locally and who knows, maybe a birth certificate could have been provided on request. The poor chicken must have been to weight watchers because the very small piece of chicken that was dwarfed by its plate was of great amusement to us all. The few bites were lovely but the group left very hungry and we ended up going elsewhere later that day. Disappointed. Would recommend this place for its location, its history, its ambiance but not for those who are especially hungry.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Corned Beef Hash Heaven!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This s our favourite place to eat when we go into Manchester.
Love the atmosphere and the food is always great.
We always have the corned beef hash, if I could only get the recipe!!!!
They used to do a lemon posset for afters but have stopped doing that so we only have a main course now.
Bring the posset back please:)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments pleased to hear you enjoy our corned beef hash.
York, North Yorkshire
“A good pub and restaurant with an interesting atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My partner and I passed by this restaurant while we were having a weekend in Manchester. We decided to try it for dinner, and arrived without any reservations. I think we were lucky to get a table, as the chop house soon filled up, and we saw other people who arrived a bit later in the evening waiting to be seated. If I wanted to eat there again, I'd probably book a table in advance, just to be on the safe side.

The exterior of the building is quite memorable, and the interior retains many original features. I like the fact that there's artwork on display which can be bought if anything catches your eye, and some of the proceeds go to charity. Because of the careful balance between old features and new art, I'd say this pub/restaurant has a lot of atmosphere.

The good took a while to arrive, but then the restaurant was very busy, so that's not surprising. We both ordered fish dishes. My partner's wasn't served as warm as it could be, but mine was piping hot. I think I liked my dish more than he did, though we both agreed the food was tasty. I particularly liked the way the chef seems to have a good palate for matching up classic flavours. This was also the case for the dessert we shared, which was a chocolate cheesecake with pears. The fact that we ordered dessert shows that we were pretty happy with the meal, but also that portion sizes were good - we had room for another course.

After the meal we ordered drinks at the bar and made our way to the beer garden at the back of the chop house, where we sat at a table and pleasantly whiled away a bit more time. I think the food was a little pricey, but not unreasonably so. We both enjoyed our visit and would be happy to eat there again, or to stop by for a drink. The fact that they've got a selection of real ales on tap is also a very nice touch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Great to hear you found us on your weekend in Manchester and enjoyed your visit.