“A good pub and restaurant with an interesting atmosphere.” 4 of 5 stars

+44 (0)161 832 2245
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mr Thomas's Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #221 of 1,757 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
York, North Yorkshire
“A good pub and restaurant with an interesting atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My partner and I passed by this restaurant while we were having a weekend in Manchester. We decided to try it for dinner, and arrived without any reservations. I think we were lucky to get a table, as the chop house soon filled up, and we saw other people who arrived a bit later in the evening waiting to be seated. If I wanted to eat there again, I'd probably book a table in advance, just to be on the safe side.

The exterior of the building is quite memorable, and the interior retains many original features. I like the fact that there's artwork on display which can be bought if anything catches your eye, and some of the proceeds go to charity. Because of the careful balance between old features and new art, I'd say this pub/restaurant has a lot of atmosphere.

The good took a while to arrive, but then the restaurant was very busy, so that's not surprising. We both ordered fish dishes. My partner's wasn't served as warm as it could be, but mine was piping hot. I think I liked my dish more than he did, though we both agreed the food was tasty. I particularly liked the way the chef seems to have a good palate for matching up classic flavours. This was also the case for the dessert we shared, which was a chocolate cheesecake with pears. The fact that we ordered dessert shows that we were pretty happy with the meal, but also that portion sizes were good - we had room for another course.

After the meal we ordered drinks at the bar and made our way to the beer garden at the back of the chop house, where we sat at a table and pleasantly whiled away a bit more time. I think the food was a little pricey, but not unreasonably so. We both enjoyed our visit and would be happy to eat there again, or to stop by for a drink. The fact that they've got a selection of real ales on tap is also a very nice touch.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Great to hear you found us on your weekend in Manchester and enjoyed your visit.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very good on all fronts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am wary of providing an excellent score. I chose we'll but the food, service and surroundings were all first class. Sensibly priced.
Watty

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments and pleased to read you enjoyed your visit.
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Ovepriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Food OK ( at best ), service very good, drinks very expensive, really busy when we there, so they must be doing something right.

Overall, something of an expensive disappointment

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your comments, all our food is cooked on site and locally sourced.
Columbia, South Carolina
“Best lamb in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

High quality food with a genuinely local style. Nice ales too, and after constructions end, it will have a nice beer garden, in which they hopefully serve food as well.

Visited July 2013
Thank you for your comments and pleased to hear you enjoyed the food, the beer garden is open in the good weather and we do service food at lunchtimes. The work is due to be completed at the end of November.
London, United Kingdom
“Food average and over priced. Adding a 10% service charge to the bill is not acceptable.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I had 3 course meal, the food was over priced for the quality. We waited to be offered drinks at the table, in the end my partner went to the bar. Service was slow although it wasn't busy. I had the £20 steak which was over cooked and not very tender, my partner had the lamb which was cooked to a better standard. I was appalled when the bill came to find that service had been added already. I tip when the service and food is good but it should be the customers choice whether or not they tip, it should not be added automatically. For this reason alone I would not visit again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Sincere apologies on your visit to Mr Thomas's. All our food is cooked from fresh on site and the ingredients are all locally sourced. The service charge on the bill is put on automatically as you say but it does state in the menu and on the bill that this is not statutory and if you are unhappy we are very happy to take this off.