“A Bit Cramped but Good Food and Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #189 of 1,763 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business
Description: Manchester might be awash with slick dining outfits but none quite like Ning. Unlike many others, Ning values subtlety and sophistication both in its style and its cuisine. Influenced by the noodle bars of Asia’s cities, this Northern Quarter venue offers a bustling ambience somewhere between trendy canteen and chichi bistro. With polished wood tables, voguish floral patterned wallpaper and candlelit tables, the interior strikes a similar balance of fashionable buzz meets classy intimacy. The South East Asian fusion menu offers mainly Thai and Malay dishes made with fresh ingredients, free from MSG. Ning’s chefs pride themselves on producing a concise menu of carefully selected and well cooked dishes.
London, United Kingdom
“A Bit Cramped but Good Food and Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were a group of 10 girls and had a great time overall.

Our waiter was friendly and although he did struggle with a few of our questions, he tried to get answers when he wasn't sure. The decor was nice and there was a good atmosphere but it was quite small so you had to be careful not to knock in to anyone when getting up and sitting down and the toilets weren't the most glamorous!

We enjoyed the cocktails despite two being unavailable (understandable when fresh ingredients are used and it's busy) and the starters were thoroughly enjoyed. I had vegetable spring rolls and there were excellent, beautifully crispy and tasty. I also tried a couple of others and they were really good.

The mains then came, I had a Malaysian curry with jasmine rice - the rice was perfect and although the curry was good, it didn't blow me away. The portions were quite big and I couldn't finish mine but a group of guys would have probably been chuffed.

Overall it was a good evening, and I think it had the right atmosphere for a large group looking for some good food on a Saturday night.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lancashire
“Busy but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Called in on the off chance good Friday night and got the last table for the two of us. I would say the tables are too close to each other but other than that the place itself is nice enough. I've got to admit that I had never had Malaysian food before so I don't know if what I had was authentic, but I do know it was damn tasty, hot, well presented and served quite quickly seeing as it was so busy. I will be going back next time I'm in manch

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My daughter and I were treated to a lovely Mother's Day meal at Ning by my son who is abroad and we both had a great meal. We decided to have the high tea which was delicious. I can't fault the friendliness, staff attentiveness or food. Chef Norman came out and met customers which they were very pleased about. He is typical of Malay people, lovely and friendly and I hope Malaysian food becomes as popular as Thai food because it is so amazing.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Authentic Malaysian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

How to describe Ning? Well due to several months living in Malaysia I can tell you that even though dishes like Nasi Ayam, Nasia Lemak etc. are different in that they are inexpensive and fairly simple, Nings interpretataion is fantastic. Their Roti Canai takes me right back to the local restaurants of Klang. All in all the best Malyasian food I've had outside of Malaysia, truley mouth watering. I'll see you all saturday.

• Visited January 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely lovely restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been here several times and have always left very happy....food is excellent / out of this world on occassions and I would recommend the Green Thai curry as a particular delight. Lovely staff aswell and a great ambience.