“Return visit didn't disappoint” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #194 of 1,766 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business
Description: Manchester might be awash with slick dining outfits but none quite like Ning. Unlike many others, Ning values subtlety and sophistication both in its style and its cuisine. Influenced by the noodle bars of Asia’s cities, this Northern Quarter venue offers a bustling ambience somewhere between trendy canteen and chichi bistro. With polished wood tables, voguish floral patterned wallpaper and candlelit tables, the interior strikes a similar balance of fashionable buzz meets classy intimacy. The South East Asian fusion menu offers mainly Thai and Malay dishes made with fresh ingredients, free from MSG. Ning’s chefs pride themselves on producing a concise menu of carefully selected and well cooked dishes.
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Return visit didn't disappoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Visited here previously some time ago and enjoyed it, so decided to go back on Saturday night for a birthday dinner. Booked a few weeks ago as I know it was very busy last time we went, and it was the same again this visit, even thought we ate relatively early (6:45pm reservation).

Food was very tasty, had the Masalodeh for starter, husband had the soft shell crab - mine was deceptively firey, quite a dry texture but not overly so. Husbands crab were lovely, according to him.

Mains, for me,Chicken Nyona Lime Curry, which was as described, sweet and sour and very tasty. Husband went for Kuey Teow Goreng with seafood, which again was excellent.

Along with side orders of prawn crackers and rice, a bottle of wine and choc brownies for himself for pud, the bill was £53 - although the crab starter weren't on the £14.95 deal, that's what they charged us, so not complaining! Didn't purposely pick the deal menun items so it was a pleasant surprise.

Overall, very tasty food, service was good, plesant staff - no hesitation in returning again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NingCatering, Manager at Ning, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thanks for your return visit, I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very tasty dishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Amazing food - look out for their mid-week 2 courses for £10.

Well worth a visit! They also offer cookery classes and while I've not yet attended one, I have tasted my friend's effort after she went and it was delicious.

Visited July 2012
NingCatering, General Manager at Ning, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thanks for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. We have just announced the dates for next years cookery courses so have a look at our website and make sure you get booked onto one!
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Really tasty food , great service and great size of portion. Great value for the price Definitely will be back soon .

• 4 of 5 stars Food
NingCatering, Manager at Ning, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thanks for the review, We will see you soon - We have just launched the Autumn specials so come and try something new.
manchester
“MMM Tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

As a newly turned vegetarian aiming towards the vegan side, this was a restaurant that gave me vegan choices from starter to desert - which I think is particularly good as that’s not seen on many menus!
I had the vegan spring rolls to start which were very tasty and crispy
Then had vegetable Thai green soup which was again very fragrant and a nice spicy level where it isn’t too hot that your nose is running, it’s just a nice warm sensation in your mouth
And then had Eaton mess for desert (this wasn’t particularly anything special but still yummy)
We chose the £14.95 meal deal and I thought this was a good price, everything tasted fresh and apparently the chicken was of good quality too - the wine was also nice.
I do agree with the comment below, it is a bit crowded as it is a small restaurant, but if it’s busy...what else can they do?
I will be definitely returning but will try chaophraya with a taste card and will do a comparison
2 glasses of wine, bottled beer and small wine with a 3 course meal came to £60

• 5 of 5 stars Food
NingCatering, Manager at Ning, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal with us. We try to make sure that we have as many vegetarian and vegan dishes as possible on the menu to make sure that as many guests as possible can try our great fresh food. I hope your conversion to veganism is going well and see you again soon.
North
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Average sums up my experience of Ning. Having been recommended to visit I had high expectations which sadly were not met.

Having visited Malaysia I am familiar with their cuisine. Our starters were rather uninspired; Masalodeh was very dry and lacking in any real flavour and the Cucur Udang tasted of little other than grease, the satay sauce was nice though. The mains were slightly better but nothing amazing. The Masak Merah was flavoured quite nicely but was very sweet and for a dish that mentioned chilli in the description lacked heat. Similar things can be said about the Nyonya Lime Curry which was better but again lacked heat and was sweet. Unlike similar curries I have eaten in Malaysia. The biggest surprise was the Sambal side order which was extremely mild, a shame as we had ordered it in case our curries weren't spicy enough. Which they weren't. The ice cream was very tasty, black sesame highly recommended, but showed signs of having been through a few thaws and freezes due to huge lumps ice in it!

Whilst the prices are not extortionate, for the food we received I feel that it was overpriced, I've eaten better food for less in other restaurants.

The décor is ok but they seem to have crammed as many tables in as possible which doesn't make for a particularly nice experience.

Bill for two people with soft drinks was £49.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
NingCatering, Manager at Ning, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
I am sorry to hear we did not reach your high expectations on your visit to Ning, though glad to hear it was not because of any particular issue. On future visits please let us know if you want us to spice your dish up , we make the food freshly so can adapt the dishes to your individual palette.