“Excellent Food and Service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Cheshire UK
“Excellent Food and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Had an excellent evening here with my girlfriend. She had fantastic ribs to start and I had the fritto misto - courgette, tiger prawns, squid etc in batter. Excellent. For main, I had turkey done 3 ways and she had the rump of lamb. My turkey was delicious and inventive and it was served with a good selection of roast veg. The lamb was perfectly cooked - only complaint was that there was too much of it. Service was very attentive and friendly. Prices not cheap but also not rediculous.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We called in for Sunday lunch? Wow, all you can eat buffet starter, followed by gorgeous rib of beef, with all the trimmings and the biggest Yorkshire pudding ever seen, followed by crepe Suzette, hot chocolate for my Son and the creamiest creme brûlée for my partner. All for £19.95. Good value for money. The only downside was having to pay £9.25 for a glass of Malbec, which was very good but a tad overpriced!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Largs, United Kingdom
“overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Food average, bottle of prosecco at 40 PDS was outragious! Servicevavbit shambolic. Overall, a let down and at 105 PDS for 2 very poor value for money.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cumbria
“Overpriced and bland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I visited the Mal brasserie with my partner during a stay at e hotel and unfortunately, I didn't have a great experience.

I chose the 'frito misto' for my starter which was ok. Calamari, king prawns and courgette made up the dish. I decided to choose the Mal pan pasta dish for main; mozzarella, basil, chorizo, tomatoes. It was presented nicely in a little pan but clearly the chorizo hadn't been included, which I only realised near the end of the dish. I didn't have a dessert but my partner did. Again, it was presented nicely, and he did comment that it was nice. I had a black forest gateau cocktail which was fine.

As for wine, we had a drink in the bar to start with and I paid £8 for a glass of dry white wine. In the restaurant, I had another 2 glasses (same wine) and upon receiving the bill, realised they'd bumped up the price to £11 a glass. I'm not adverse to paying good money for good wine but I've honestly tasted a better bottle from a supermarket and felt a little duped by the stark difference in the price.

I wouldn't return to the brasserie; it's far too overpriced for the quality of the food and the wine.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Preston, United Kingdom
“Reunion lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had a reunion lunch for 14 people in a private room on a Friday. Service before lunch was good and the food very good, well presented and nicely served. The wine list was interesting but perhaps more expensive than it needed to be.

• Visited October 2013