“Used to be very good but has gone downhill” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Used to be very good but has gone downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Used to go here alot, and decided to go with the family late last year,

ordered the sushi buffet which was upto 32 pieces,
the dish arrived, with 16 pieces which was very nice,
asked for another portion and the staff was new and didn't understand what I meant. she wasn't aware of what was on the menu. which is a bit off putting.

apart from the bento's are nice and I enjoy going to the super market downstairs.

The toilets are a bit creepy, especially when taking children in there.

Visited October 2012

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“great food everytime!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I come to Samsi at least once a month - their lunchtime deal (available 12-5pm every day is superb value and very tasty. I'd definitely recommend it over any other sushi restaurant i've visited in Manchester (Wasabi, yo sushi etc). Noticed there are a few reviews here with comments about the staff, i've never personally experienced any problems with this!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
“The best sushi in Manchester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The sushi here is delicious! The sashimi is fresh and tasty and the gyoza and tempura are delicious. Sauvignon Blanc was a bit expensive but very tasty and cold. The staff have been attentive and friendly every time I have visited. The bento boxes are a must! Very filling and tasty. The banquet menus are tempting but there is just way too much! The decor is a bit dated and the dining space is a bit cluttered with random things, but I am not bothered about this sort of thing when the food is so good. I think the place is charming! There is also a little shop downstairs which sells a wide range of japanese goods. People who are writing bad reviews clearly do not appreciate the quality of the food. 80% of the customers in the restaurant have been Japanese when I have been in; always a good sign!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Staff so rude I actually laughed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had high hopes, having just moved nearby and do love Japanese cuisine. Maybe this was an off night - I'll never know as I won't be returning. Service was unacceptably poor. We ordered red wine, and after a while (quite a while... ) were brought rose, which was taken away wordlessly when we pointed out the confusion. A smile would've helped. After another long wait the red (absolutely lovely by the way) was plonked down on the table - our thank-yous were lost in the cold breeze of a sharply turned back. Ordering food, my friend was literally mid-sentence when the waitress just walked off. Just walked off without a word to the bar, to talk to someone (a friend or colleague) who'd just arrived. No apology or acknowledgement on (eventual) return - as if it hadn't happened. Food arrived without a word or a glance. The place was practically empty, so this kind of service just made the whole ambience even gloomier. It made me less forgiving, too, of the grim and messy downstairs shop area, which you pass through to get to the frankly dismal, and really quite dirty, loos. Delays also gave us plenty of time to contemplate the grotty tabletops, battlescarred and stained. I've never seen a restaurant table without a cloth or mats. Now I know why. We didn't feel tempted to stay (and no-one suggested coffee or dessert) and would have gone sooner if our waitress hadn't decided to ignore us completely when asked for the bill. Just quite nice food (tempura veg a bit underdone, katsui curry OK) and actually lovely wine really couldn't make up for the lack of welcome and snotty service (although the woman who came to our table once the original waitress had decided not to bother, and dealt with our bill, was charming). Perhaps not surprisingly she looked knackered. If I was her I'd have a word with Miss Pickleface.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Nice Food nice service everytime”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Food is consistanly nice, fish are fresh and generous compare to other places. Seasoning is well balanced, no over powering one or another.

Service is good, there is no harsh people,nor long wait. Draft Japanese beer is a nice addition.

In all,I will continue visit there, and recommendation to everyone.

Visited January 2013