“awful” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
yorkshire
“awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband loves chinese food and even he did not like this place. The service was about as bad as it can get and the food was not much better. Certainly would not recommend it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure - can't fault it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've been eating here for years with family, we usually visit 3 or 4 times a year. Whatever time of day you go at, the staff are always attentive and helpful - especially with my elderly grandmother and they always get her a cushion to sit on! The food is excellent, and they have a large vegetarian selection. It always arrives fresh and hot and in the 10+ years I've been going have never had to send anything back to the kitchen. Between 12-2 Monday-Saturday they have a 'business lunch' menu, where it's a much smaller menu but different prices depending on how many courses you have, which I find to be excellent value. 3 of you can go for a 2 course lunch and the bill only comes to around £20!
Last August we celebrated my grandmother's birthday in there and took our own cake, the staff were excellent, they dimmed the lights and played happy birthday for her and all the staff sang and clapped along, she absolutely loved it and it was a lovely surprise for her. It's sad that this little gem seems to get forgotten about so much as it's not central to anywhere but well worth travelling for if you want a really good chinese.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Just glad the food wasn't cold!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Both me and my wife went there one Wednesday evening last month. It was a rare occasion where we could have some alone time and a nice meal and feel a bit spoilt. The food had always been good in the past based on everything i had ever bought from the chinese supermarket downstairs.

When we arrived, the restaurant, it was very quiet. Perhaps maybe a dozen people were in there in total, half a dozen of which seemed appeared to be chinese themselves. Always a good sign when you see this i always think as it puts me at ease in terms of recognition of quality food.

After a two minute wait at the reception point, purely because that is how long it took for our existence to be recognised, we were ushered to a table. So that for me was 2 big customer service faux pas' in the opening 5 minutes. (choice of table not offered or suggested and it doesn't take two whole minutes to recognise someone is waiting for a seat in a practically empty restaurant. As it happens the seat choice was ok and we were next to a delightful fish-tank feature which harboured some interesting looking fish. The fish at least looked happy to see us!!!!

Here comes the third mistake. I believe it is normal that upon taking your seat in a restaurant, most semi decent waiters would ask what you weant to drink. Not the case here i am afraid. It took a polite prompt from myself to suggest that this might be a good idea whilst we order the food. 5 minutes later, the drinks appear. How long does it take to poor a beer into a glass and open a can of diet coke.

The menu offered countless nice sounding options and thus we decided on one of the set banquets consisting of 4 courses. £24 per head. Not bad value for money if I am honest. Gadly, the food did arrive without too much of a delay, although it was evident that the local chinese people who frequent the establishment do get to order of an entirely different menu to everyone else. From a language point of view, i can understand this, From a food preference point of view in terms of dishes that might not suit the english palate, again somewhat understandable. Yet something did not sit right with this in terms of being made to feel more of an unwelcome outsider than we already were.

The food was hot and plentiful and as i had hoped for, good value for money. It was however served by someone who was in the middle of a vow of silence. He could have been an android as we watched him shred the roast duck before our eyes without so much as a wink in terms of facial expression

The meal drew to a close after having had our fill and was actually pleased to pay up and get out of there. You had the feeling that was certainly what they wanted from us so we kindly obliged. I half expected to hear chinese fire crackers going off and the sound of party poppers as the door closed behind us as we walked downstairs and outside to catch a welcome taxi home.

So in summary. Certainly very good food, just don't expect any sort of warmth or top quality customer service from the waiting on staff or front of house staff. You'll be waiting a long time for it me thinks! Instead, try the Ocean Lounge just around the corner. Far more cosy atmosphere, just as good menu (with Thai menu too, and staff that are happy to see you and make a bit of a fuss- unbelievable to believe but the two restaurants are part of the same business. Theres only one i would revisit or recommend...and it is not the treasure.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
“excellent food shame about some of the staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We ate on a Sunday, seven of us. We had excellent dim sum, roast duck and a wonderful three roast meats noodle dish.
The meal was spoilt by the attitude of the waiter taking our order, did not seem happy at all. Never saw him again, so other staff were very helpful when we ordered more food so we would have all the food hot instead of having it on the table all at once.
A little friendliness costs nothing.

• Visited December 2012
Atherton, United Kingdom
“My favourite restaurant Food Food.......FOOD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Me, my girlfriend and now our little girl go there quite regularly, we have been on a Friday night when they have the acts on and the banquet menu's I must admit I don't really rate it too much but we have been on a regular night and on a Saturday afternoon (cheaper menu) we even went once during the world cup, the food is amazing the place gets a 5 just on the food alone the service is very mmm basic I would call it they serve you your food and take away your plates and that's it, there is a great atmosphere in the restaurant and the look of the place is pretty impressive but like I said it's all about the food for me.

• Visited November 2012