“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Went with three friends for a Xmas night out and decided to go to the new emperor, I have been here before but not for some time.Drinks order was taken quickly and soon after the food order was taken, dim sum was good as was the chicken rolls beef balls in ginger and salt and pepper ribs (though not a lot of meat on them).Main course was crispy chilli beef which was ok,chicken in vegetables again ok, fish in some kind of batter which was really nice and finally duck in honey and lemon sauce again just ok but a bit fatty and chewy.The bill came to just over £90 which including drinks was decent,the down side was the food nothing special and two of us were served mains well before the other two mains were brought out.In summary there's better places too go.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Terrible and not clean!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We Went here for a meal when visiting Manchester. The staff had a bad attitude for the start. When ordering our food they didn't put through our order correctly and they didn't bring 2 of the dishes we had ordered then they tried to charge us for theses! Cutlery and toilets were not at All clean. Half way through our meal a band walked in and started play?...then a lady came to all the tables asking for money - this is not what you need when you are trying to enjoy your meal. All in all a terrine restaurant with appalling service -don't waste your money here!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

What can I say, we were seated quite quickly, no one came to take our drinks order, we asked a girl at the bar, she said that she couldn't speak English, had to ask someone else, eventually they arrived we had to help ourselves off the tray. Twenty minutes later still no one had come to take our order, even though at least three order tables had had theirs taken, and came in later than us. Two out of four of our starters arrived,the following two arrived after we had eaten ours. Two of the main meals came quite quickly but we couldn't identify them, again we had to take them from the waitress before she lent across the table, one of them nearly went into one of our drinks, the girl said that she was new and didn't know what the dish was, she had to go and ask someone because we didn't know if it was ours, again the two other dishes arrived about ten minutes later, absolute chaos, disorganised and very poor service, one thing though it was better than any comedy club never laughed as much in years, can only say thank god it was Christmas or else we would have walked!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Surprised at some of the other reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I can only assume that the experience here depends greatly on how busy the restaurant is and the expectation of the customer when they arrive at the doors.

Based only on my visit yesterday where three of us arrived for lunch, I have to say we had a great experience.

The place was busy but we only waited 2 or 3 minutes for a table to become available.

The menu we were given was in Chinese (I believe English also available) and my food was ordered for me by my friends. I was happy with this arrangement since I didn't really know what to order having really only eaten what I guess you would call "Chinese takeaway" food in previous Chinese restaurants.

Wow.. for me a totally new experience, I had tried a couple of the Dim Sum previously but otherwise a lot of dishes I had never seen before. I have no idea what a lot of it was, I have a feeling I might not want to know, but it was delicious. A totally new experience of what I can only presume is authentic Chinese food.

The service was fine. You were pretty much left alone unless you asked for something and then the staff were pretty friendly and helpful. At the end of the meal we sat and chatted for about an hour with absolutely no pressure from the staff to leave.

I would say that if you are looking for an authentic Chinese restaurant in Manchester then this is the best place I've visited for a relaxed, great value lunch of traditional style dumplings and other wonderful creations, This seemed to be reflected in the fact that while we were there about 80% of the other customers appeared to be Chinese.. that has to tell you something!

Overall, our particular experience of lunch at this venue was absolutely top notch, great value and a great experience. Would highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best Chinese food :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We've eaten at most of the restaurants in Chinatown over the years, Asian food being a bit of a passion of ours, but the meal that we had at the New Emperor last week has to be one of the best. First appearances were good, it's nicely decorated and the staff friendly. We were served drinks quickly and the food arrived quick - we were there for lunch, so had limited time : delicious hot sour soup with plenty of prawns in it ..yum.. followed by crispy duck and pancakes.. died and gone to heaven, yum.. then roast belly pork with Singapore chow mein ..ecstasy! Honestly, I would eat this food every day of the week if I could. All this and only £35 :) :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere