“bland and over priced” 1 of 5 stars

(0161) 817 4110
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Famous for its fresh and simple seafood, Livebait hooks Manchester diners with its cheerfully inviting approach to dining. Old favourites such as cod and chips and Dorset crab are crowd-pleasers, but the menu also features more unusual options, such as the fragrant fish & shellfish curry and the sustainably caught wild striped sea bass. The black and white tiled restaurant interior matches the straightforward attitude of the kitchen, while lighter bites are available all day in the bar area.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“bland and over priced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Had heard good reviews after the re-opening and relaunch but was not impressed with my meal. The food looked good but

The chicken liver parfait was clearly cut from a slab from the fridge and had no flavour - being completely overpowered by the cherries it was served with. Might have had more flavour if allowed to reach room temperature but who knows

Chose the plaice as my main course - the lemon and caper sauce was fine and should have been a good complement. The fish was tasteless though and again just overpowered the flavour of the thing it was meant to complement. Also the lower fillet of the plaice was just mush - I did complain, thinking it might be overcooked but the waitress didn't really seem to know what to do with the situation. On reflection my suspicion is that the fish may have been previously frozen - a restaurant specialising in fresh fish should have quality ingredients, even on a quite tuesday

finished off with manchego cheese with a membrillo paste - this time the accompaniment didn't overpower the cheese - in fact the membrillo paste was bland and hardly worth serving. The problem is that all the cheese seems to be served with oatcakes from a packet and they were the things overpowering the cheese.

the cabbage with bacon was perfectly cooked though - but that's really faint praise

I get the sense they've brought someone in to refresh the restaurant and overhaul the menu but the staff they've got delivering to that menu aren't the same caliber and don't have the quality of ingredients to match the ambition shown by the pricing

they do a 2 courses for £11 deal before 7 - that's probably reasonable value and where the restaurant is pitched. I'd avoid treating it as any kind of real dining experience though

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Lancashire
“Great seafood place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Good service, food lovely. I have only eaten there at lunchtime so I don't know if there is a separate menu for evenings. It's good for groups of friends as well as couples, never seen any children in there and I have not taken my own so can't comment on that aspect. I'd definitely go again. And again.

Visited June 2012
“Huge birthday let down!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Terrible service, average food and a visit from gypsy children 'trick or treating' at our table.
This was a visit for my birthday planned for me by my boyfriend who had been recommended the restaurant by friends. Unfortunately I don't have anything good to say, very disappointing overall and I wouldn't waste my money here again, especially when there are many other fantastic restaurants in Manchester with higher quality food and service for much better value!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lacking atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went here on a Friday evening and was surprised how quiet it was. The menu was more interesting than the food we received. The price of the food was very high, for what we had. After spending over £90 for two of us, we left feeling quite unimpressed.

Visited March 2012
“Excellent food and excellent staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We dined on a Thursday night, the restaurant was quiet so we were seated quickly. Waitress helped us decide between different wines and sides to go with our main courses. Food was delicious and we were both so full we couldn't fit dessert in! We will be visiting again!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere