“Food with heart” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Wigan
“Food with heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were visiting a concert at the RNCM and wanted to eat nearby. There are loads of eateries and take outs, but we wanted something cheap but still good. We are not vegetarians but liked the look of the 8th day cafe from the website, so went there and were not dissapointed.
It is essentially a cafe, but you can tell that real thought, skill and love has fone into the food. I am certain that vegans and vegetarians would be thrilled to have somewhere like this to eat, but good food is good food to me, and this was good food. I had chickpea and artichocke couscous bake with salad (excellent selection of dressings that you help yourself to), husband had cauliflower and tofu passanda and they were both brilliant. We had coffees and cake afterwards (sticky ginger and peanut butter brownie) and the total was just over £20
Lovely friendly place and you can taste the love in the food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Love the food and the ethics of the place. Plus there situated below an organic food shop too, always a bonus. Dislike going in the morning, food is great but they play music whey to loud for that time of day, (I mean nightclub loud, not being an old fuddy duddy) especially bad if you have a hangover from the night before.

Visited January 2013
Manchester, UK
“Popular place, excellent shop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We have eaten here on many occasions over many years. The food if anything has gone downhill from many years ago. They used to have excellent salads and soups and items which are no longer there. It now has a more up market ambience rather than a popular cafe feel. The food is ok, a bit bland on the few times I have eaten there recently. The shop upstairs and take-away food is however excellent.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent, heart-warming food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I am so pleased to have found this cafe and it has been my go-to place for lunch whenever I am in Manchester. I've been there several times and have tried a variety of their dishes. The food is quite aromatic and packs a punch of earthy flavours (they use many herbs and spices). The portions are very generous and there are always soups and a couple of mains to choose from. I have tried the dahl with brown rice, a veg curry, chilli with peanuts and a cauliflower bake (all amazing!). They have an excellent selection of fruit juices and those really lift you up. I have tried two: ginger zinger and beetroot blast (I liked them both but the ginger one hit me strongly and I had to down it with a couple of glasses of water!). For dessert I went for a very chocolatey brownie that was so good I could have eaten 10 more! Prices are very reasonable considering the quality of the food and also how large the portions are. The atmosphere is very laid back, staff are very friendly and the place has a nice feel to it. I particularly like that is not exposed to outside noise or visual distractions because it's literally underground... this adds to the nice feel of the place. Overall, this place is not only good for vegetarians but for people who like good heart-warming food --two of my companions are avid meat eaters and they agreed that they have not "missed the meat" in the meals we've had at the 8th day.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Yummy veggie food to be had!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

A fairly wide selection of different vegetarian and vegan meals and snacks.

Relaxed atmosphere with papers and general veggie news.

Really great shop on site too!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere