“Perfect City Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Reading
“Perfect City Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We are fans of this hotel and have stayed several times now. It is in an ideal position, has a safe secure car park and it has a friendly atmosphere. The rooms all have great views over the city and the railway station and are comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet is always well stocked and we always have a great breakfast to start the day. Special mention should be made of the reception who are always on the ball and eager to help.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear fruitymetcalf,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated. I will pass on your regards to our reception team as you have given them special mention however I know that all of our great team did a really good job and will read your comments with pride.

It goes without saying that you we look forward to your return.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights last weekend and couldn't fault anything. checking in was very quick and efficient with very friendly staff. We loved the room we were allocated, very spacious with a nice view and 2 comfortable chairs which you don't always get. We don't usually have our evening meal in the hotel where we stay but on this occasion we were tempted by the reputation of the steakhouse and we were not disappointed!! The quality of the food was excellent and our meals were cooked to perfection. Breakfast was also very good, in fact too good! The restaurant was very busy Sunday morning and we were late coming down but we didn't have to wait and there was still a large and varied selection available. We were dreading checking out as it was so busy but the longest wait we had was for the lift! We were straight to the front desk and in our car within minutes, very efficient and friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Geeson73,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that you enjoyed all of what our team delivered.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Just wanted to say what a great time we had at the Macdonald Manchester hotel & Spa.
Stayed 2 nights for our anniversary weekend and couldn't have been more well looked after, the staff on reception were great and couldn't have been more welcoming. We stayed in a fabulous panoramic room overlooking the city, biggest bathroom ever in a hotel we have ever stayed in, lovelly welcome plate in the room congratulating us on our wedding anniversary, really nice touch.

The Scottish Steak club was fantastic, although the restaurant was busy, the food was first class, super service, the staff were extremely polite and curteous, great to watch the chefs prepare and cook your food.

This is the 2nd time of staying at the Macdonald, Manchester and we had a great great weekend thanks to you all

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Alan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and so pleased that your anniversary was thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks also for your ongoing loyalty and we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a great hotel, very convenient for anyone arriving into Manchester Piccadilly. We arrived at 10.30 in the morning and thought we would see if we could leave our bags as we wanted to do a bit of shopping and then had a theatre visit booked for the afternoon. Upon arrival the receptionist informed us our room was ready and we could check in straight away - brilliant! The room was light and airy and spotlessly clean. We overlooked the train station but due to excellent double glazing we couldn't hear any noise. Amenities in the room included iron and ironing board, room safe, wine glasses and good choice of tea/coffee etc. We had requested a quiet room and were given 405 on 4th floor, this was well away from the lifts and therefore very quiet.
So far so good but now onto the major problem with this hotel and that is the restaurant. After arriving back from the theatre we decided we'd dine in instead of going back out. We called into the restaurant at 7.30 and were told they could fit us in at 8.30, so we went back down into he bar for a drink, took ages to get served, but cocktails when they eventually arrived were very good. At our appointed time we went back to the restaurant and had to wait while staff went back and forth and ignored us, eventually we were seated at our table and then again staff disappeared. A couple were seated after us but order and drinks taken before ours. Once ordered was taken, food arrived fairly quick but we had to remind them about the bottle of wine we'd ordered! Food was so-so, nothing great but adequate. When I stayed at this hotel before I had commented on the level of service in the restaurant and nothing has improved.
It is such a shame because I really wanted to give this restaurant a second chance - GET THIS SORTED!! Breakfast was slightly better but again people seated after us were served tea/coffee and toast orders taken before us. We are not ones for a cooked breakfast, but here was plenty of choice for those who do and great selection of cereals etc for those who prefer the lighter option.
A note on booking this hotel, we found the hotel's website offered the best prices and currently if you book direct you get a £10 room credit to use for extras during your stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ShirazMerlot,

Thanks so much for your kind review and please be assured that we will take heed of your advice to ensure that we deliver exceptional attentive service in all areas. I'm sorry that there was a delay in the restaurant however it was very busy.

We look forward to your return and thank you once again.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I wasn't sure how to get to the hotel so I tried to call. Three times the call disconnected as it had not been answered. On the fourth attempt someone answered. When I got there I was served promptly and the receptionist made a reservation for me in the restaurant and removed my name as requested from the booking so I wouldn't be disturbed. I was disappointed when I got to my room because despite making a note on my booking that I am allergic to feathers I had to call to get my pillows exchanged and it took 45 mins for the room girl to 'find' them. She was very pleasant and apologetic.
Dinner in the restaurant was excellent. Perfectly cooked steak and good wine. Service was appalling though. It took 15 minutes to order a glass of wine and I was never asked how my steak was. Also I sat with my finished plates and an empty wine glass for over 20 mins before they were cleared away. The maitre d was very cheerful and smiley and was really the only reason I didn't make a complaint.
The room was overlooking the main road but I didn't hear anything from the traffic. the bed was comfortable and the bathrooms are a good size.
The location is great for the train station however not so good if you are heading into the centre for dinner / drinks....
So a very up and down experience. I'm not sure if I would go back because the double tree has always given a better experience to me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Swisswifey,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and although I'm disappointed with where we could have done better I know this can be resolved very easily and we are already working on a resolution.

I look forward in the future to showing you a seamless experience in our hotel as I agree it should be all the time.

Gourock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My other half and I had an overnight stay here on Saturday 14th September and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had booked one of the panoramic rooms which are a very good size absolutely gorgeous. Our view wasn't particularly spectacular, looking onto the train station but I didn't mind. The room was presented perfectly and was spotless, during the night we couldn't hear any noise from outside or from in the hotel either. There are cards at reception which tell you how to access the free wifi and I managed to connect my iPad no problem. We had dinner that night in the restaurant downstairs and both absolutely loved it. All the staff are so pleasant and helpful, the hotel and room immaculate and the food delicious. Will absolutely be visiting again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 301 which looked onto the train station so not a particularly amazing view but a g...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Linsay,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and of course we will do all that we can to make a guests stay perfect.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I return to this hotel time after time on business trips to Manchester. Although it's not right in centre of restaurants and bars it is very close to Piccadilly Station and the free local bus service, trams etc.
The rooms are decent size and usually have separate shower and bath with audio in bathroom. They have ipod docks and mini bars too.
My minor criticisms would be that the 1. TVs are tiny. So if you want to watch TV in bed you'll need excellent eyesight and 2. There isn't a mirror near good lighting which makes makeup application a bit tricky. There are huge windows in every room so a mirror nearby would be a big improvement.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Mrs Edinburgh,

First of all thank you for your continued loyalty to The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa and also for this kind review. Ironically with both of the items that you have identified we could further improve upon both are part of our ongoing improvement plan designed to make our guests stays even better.

That said I hope as a regular guest with us that our team look after you on a bespoke level as that is also something that we ask our team to make sure happens so that you and other guests come back to us time and time again confident that we have your best interests at heart.

Many thanks once again.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Been to Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!