“hit and miss...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Zurich, Switzerland
“hit and miss...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I wasn't sure how to get to the hotel so I tried to call. Three times the call disconnected as it had not been answered. On the fourth attempt someone answered. When I got there I was served promptly and the receptionist made a reservation for me in the restaurant and removed my name as requested from the booking so I wouldn't be disturbed. I was disappointed when I got to my room because despite making a note on my booking that I am allergic to feathers I had to call to get my pillows exchanged and it took 45 mins for the room girl to 'find' them. She was very pleasant and apologetic.
Dinner in the restaurant was excellent. Perfectly cooked steak and good wine. Service was appalling though. It took 15 minutes to order a glass of wine and I was never asked how my steak was. Also I sat with my finished plates and an empty wine glass for over 20 mins before they were cleared away. The maitre d was very cheerful and smiley and was really the only reason I didn't make a complaint.
The room was overlooking the main road but I didn't hear anything from the traffic. the bed was comfortable and the bathrooms are a good size.
The location is great for the train station however not so good if you are heading into the centre for dinner / drinks....
So a very up and down experience. I'm not sure if I would go back because the double tree has always given a better experience to me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Swisswifey,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and although I'm disappointed with where we could have done better I know this can be resolved very easily and we are already working on a resolution.

I look forward in the future to showing you a seamless experience in our hotel as I agree it should be all the time.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Gourock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My other half and I had an overnight stay here on Saturday 14th September and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had booked one of the panoramic rooms which are a very good size absolutely gorgeous. Our view wasn't particularly spectacular, looking onto the train station but I didn't mind. The room was presented perfectly and was spotless, during the night we couldn't hear any noise from outside or from in the hotel either. There are cards at reception which tell you how to access the free wifi and I managed to connect my iPad no problem. We had dinner that night in the restaurant downstairs and both absolutely loved it. All the staff are so pleasant and helpful, the hotel and room immaculate and the food delicious. Will absolutely be visiting again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 301 which looked onto the train station so not a particularly amazing view but a g...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Linsay,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and of course we will do all that we can to make a guests stay perfect.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I return to this hotel time after time on business trips to Manchester. Although it's not right in centre of restaurants and bars it is very close to Piccadilly Station and the free local bus service, trams etc.
The rooms are decent size and usually have separate shower and bath with audio in bathroom. They have ipod docks and mini bars too.
My minor criticisms would be that the 1. TVs are tiny. So if you want to watch TV in bed you'll need excellent eyesight and 2. There isn't a mirror near good lighting which makes makeup application a bit tricky. There are huge windows in every room so a mirror nearby would be a big improvement.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Mrs Edinburgh,

First of all thank you for your continued loyalty to The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa and also for this kind review. Ironically with both of the items that you have identified we could further improve upon both are part of our ongoing improvement plan designed to make our guests stays even better.

That said I hope as a regular guest with us that our team look after you on a bespoke level as that is also something that we ask our team to make sure happens so that you and other guests come back to us time and time again confident that we have your best interests at heart.

Many thanks once again.

Wrexham, north wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed with my friend Lucy on the 06.09.13, we went for a girly weekend away! We had a brilliant time at the Macdonald hotel manchester, we arrived to our room to a fruit platter and a welcome note which was a really nice touch! The rooms were lovely we had huge windows with a brilliant view across the city, and everything we needed in the room including an ipod station which was great for us! We spent the day shopping in the city, which is only a 10 minute walk, perfect central location. Every where we went in the hotel we were greeted by very helpful, friendly staff checking we were OK and enjoying our stay, we were made to feel like VIPS!! Finally the breakfast the following day was lovely, I can honestly say one of the nicest I've ever had. There was a huge choice, there was even nice big field mushrooms as part of the cooked breakfast. I will definitely be returning to this hotel next time i come to Manchester as I found the staff so friendly!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Laura,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that we managed to deliver a memorable weekend stay for you.

We look forward to your return sometime soon.

Kind regards and thank you once again

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Fairly central location. The staff were fine, room was a great size and loved the bathroom. Only real criticism was that the room was quite dusty. It was very quiet despite a few hen parties. The gym closed earlier than advertised but no reason given. Received a £10 voucher to use during stay when we booked direct with the hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Brynnen,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your comments which are appreciated.

We'll also look into the issue of dust in your room but could do with the room number if you'd be so kind as to message the details across as we want everyone's stay to be perfect.

Many thanks once again

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel many times before in previous job it was the first place that came to mind to book when returning. Having not been here for a couple of years whilst the hotel is still good, standards have certainly slipped from a couple of years ago. Dusty rooms, fake tan on the toilet seat, not very clean glasses. All stuff most people wouldn't notice just a very particular eye that I have.

Staff were friendly and food was superb. The bed was super comfy and room sound proof so got excellent sleep.

However at breakfast on both mornings had to request tea and was also placed on a 'clean table' that was not clean. Finally when I ordered room service my plate of food was filthy under the dish covered in butter/ oil (when I lifted it off the tray to the table in my room).

All just small things that probably don't matter to most. I would return but may now look elsewhere as not quite lived up to expectations previously held. However there is no reason why others shouldn't try this hotel. The location is great.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear 1985waterbaby,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for where you saw the opportunity for us to improve please be assured that we are already working hard on your feedback.

We'd be delighted to have you back here again and know the only way to do it is to deliver immaculate stays for all of our guests all of the time.

Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here overnight £103. We have stayed in hotels all over Manchester city,we found the room very spacious and well decorated. Plenty of tea and coffee and great shortbread biscuits. The bathroom was fabulous!! The shower room was amazing. The room was soundproofed we never heard any traffic or noise at apart from the air conditioning. The bed was very comfortable.
We booked in in the restaurant early for evening meal and had a tasty meal service was very good. Checking in and out very quick. We did not stay for breakfast as we thought it wasnt value for money £16 if you booked or£19 otherwise !! expensive to say the least. My husband and I had breakfast in weatherspoons £8 for the two of us !!! Location great for train station & northern quarter & shopping.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Heather,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words.

If I could advise on just one item it would be to try our breakfast out; great service with an offering that is probably the best in the City you won't be disappointed.

That said really pleased that you took the time to tell others about your stay with us and of course we look forward to your return sometime soon.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Been to Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!