I have stayed at the MacDonald Manchester over a dozen times. It is a nice hotel that is perfectly located for rail users - Piccadilly train station is a less than five minute walk away. Not so ideal for guests with cars - 24 hour parking in the hotel car park is £17.50. (The long stay car park at Piccadilly station is £4 a day all day on weekends and bank holidays. There is also an uncovered car park at the back of the station with 24 hour parking for £2.50 - it is about a 12-15 minute walk away from the hotel.)
Reception staff are excellent - always polite and professional, although the check in process has a few questions which hold up the process a little.
I booked a superior room for £78. It is slightly larger than the standard size rooms at about 17 feet in length, and enough width for a king size bed and a bedside table either side with a little room to spare. There is a small desk with a chair, a small round table, and an armchair. The room is clean and the furnishings are in good condition. The curtains, once drawn, can block out all light from outside. The bathroom is excellent and contains an oversized bathtub - to be fair, it is only slightly bigger than a standard tub - and a good sized walk in shower.
Criticisms are mostly mild. The carpets and curtains are dated and could do with replacing. The television is 23 inches and, when viewed on a bed some 12-17 feet away, is too small. 32 inches should be the minimum for this size of room. There are spotlights in the ceiling which some people may find to be too dim. Views of the city are poor. My room was on the 6th floor and overlooked the back of the hotel, giving me a view of some tower blocks, the train station, and a car park. (The front of the hotel gives a view of a building block and a main road.) Room service is grossly overpriced and comes with a £5 tray charge. The food is very average, even more so given the hefty premium; I recommend you find a good restaurant.
Overall, the hotel has quality rooms and staff. For superior rooms, I would pay no more than £80 a night and £65 for the standard rooms. Bear in mind the parking charges if you are a car user.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, set in the heart of Cottonopolis, is Manchester's largest four-star hotel. Perfectly located if travelling by rail, road or foot, our eyecatching expanse dominates the skyline all the way from Piccadilly Station to the Mancunian Way allowing quick and easy access to and from all the major motorways. The team at our hotel in Manchester is driven to deliver an outstanding guest experience and has a reputation for its service standards and food quality. As the 2013 winner of "The best sleep in the city" award (Manchester Evening News), it combines 338 beautiful bedrooms with state of the art conferencing, an indulgent urban spa and first class bar and live theatre restaurant experience in our Scottish Steak Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Manchester Hotel And Spa
- Macdonald Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Macdonald Hotel Manchester