I've stayed at the Macdonald a few times and it's a nice hotel very convenient for Piccadilly railway station. My wife booked this time so we could go to an event on the Saturday evening and she booked the spa for the Saturday afternoon.
So everything great, with one exception, we went down for breakfast, to find a queue of 25 people waiting for breakfast tables. We could have been waiting for absolutely ages, so went back to reception and asked if we could not take up the option of breakfast that my wife had paid extra for, as we couldn't wait that long, get a refund for the breakfast element of the cost and instead go elsewhere.
I was flabbergasted that the duty manager said no, the logic being twofold i) the hotel hadn't failed to provide breakfast, it was available, even if there was a queue due to lots of people arriving for breakfast at the same time and ii) not that I could understand the logic at all, that once you had ticked you wanted the breakfast option when booking, the booking became 'a bed & breakfast rate' - don't get me wrong, if it had have been an inclusive B&B rate, we'd just have gone elsewhere for it but my wife said she had actually paid extra for it. The duty manager said that we would have had to cancel the breakfast by 2pm the previous day, it couldn't be cancelled on the morning and couldn't be refunded as breakfast was available.
We checked out, but before doing so, I went back to the breakfast room and found the queue had increased to over 40 people, with more coming up the stairs before I left.
I know the hotel will say:
- Sundays are the busiest day
- we are rare in serving breakfast until noon
But let's face it, if you need to leave and can't wait behind 40+ other people just to sit down for breakfast and you'd paid extra for breakfast, wouldn't you be disapointed if the hotel didn't refund the breakfast charge so you could go elsewhere for it.
I'll try and post 'Macdonald Manchester - The Breakfast Club' video at the end of this review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, set in the heart of Cottonopolis, is Manchester's largest four-star hotel. Perfectly located if travelling by rail, road or foot, our eyecatching expanse dominates the skyline all the way from Piccadilly Station to the Mancunian Way allowing quick and easy access to and from all the major motorways. The team at our hotel in Manchester is driven to deliver an outstanding guest experience and has a reputation for its service standards and food quality. As the 2013 winner of "The best sleep in the city" award (Manchester Evening News), it combines 338 beautiful bedrooms with state of the art conferencing, an indulgent urban spa and first class bar and live theatre restaurant experience in our Scottish Steak Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Manchester Hotel And Spa
- Macdonald Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Macdonald Hotel Manchester