“Clean, stylish and close to everything..” 4 of 5 stars

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London Road | Piccadilly, Manchester M1 2PG, England   |
Ranked #27 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Ballycastle, Ireland
“Clean, stylish and close to everything..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

A 5min walk from the station made this our 1st choice for convenience. The room was large, very clean and well turned out. What had started out as a business trip turned into a 3 night city break. The location to the city centre was great - handy for everything. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful.
The resturant was ok, tho we only are there once - the menu in the bar was quite good.
Would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Sailor1714,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and I hope that your extended stay encourages you back here sometime soon.

Really pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and of course thank you for letting others know that we are your hotel of choice whilst in Manchester and within easy reach of all that is happening in the City Centre.

paul Bayliss MBE
The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The rooms and facilities are very good, but it was cold! Admittedly I stayed here on one of the coldest nights of the year, but at this high price I did expect heating! The heating in the room only activates when the key card is put into the slot, so the room was freezing on arrival and never warmed up. I had only one key so when I went down to the bar the heating switched off again. Two keys should be given as standard so that you can leave one in the room to keep the heating on. The bar area was also very cold and draughty. (and £16 for a prawn sandwich and a glass of wine a little excessive I think)
On the plus side, I had a massage in the spa which was fabulous, and I would definitely go back there. I would stay here again because of the location, but would ask for two keys and in the winter would ask for the heating to be put on before I arrived.
Note to some other reviewers...I found this hotel very quiet with respect to outside noise and was only on the first floor, but if you don't like the sound of trains don't stay at hotels next to stations!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gill P,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and I agree if you felt your room and Lounge wasn't warm enough for you then we should be doing something about it which we are I can assure you.

Thanks for highlighting what we did well and of course we look forward to your return.

Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I arrived at the hotel a little unhappy to be honest.
This was business trip and the rooms were not physically booked by myself. The actual booking should have been made at the Macdonald Townhouse in Manchester. I only found this out after parking the car in the secure parking of another hotel and lugging my bags to the reception where it was explained the booking was actually at the hotel and spa. I was annoyed that as there was availability at the Townhouse that the booking could not simply be moved - NO was the asnwer to that.
So, after heading back to the car, paying £4 for 10 minutes parking i made my way over to the hotel and spa. Easy to get to the hotel but not that easy to find your way to the car park.
The staff on the reception were helpfull and understood my frustration(not the first time this has happened apparently and inter company compitition between the hotels stops the moving of bookings)
On arrival in the room i could not have been happier. Spacious and immaculate with a great view over the city. Tha bathroom has huge with an excellent walk in shower as well as a bath.
The bed was perfect and very comfortable. I would agree about the storage space for clothes that I have read on another review. I was on my own and it was just manageable but I was surprised there were no drawers!
THe breakfasts were spot on and all the staff i encounted were professional and friendly.
As in the title all in all a positive experience.

Dear Drewsaa,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and in opening I will look into your concern as I'm not sure about it being a mix up of our making. I have sent a message separately and will get back to you once I'm fully aware of what occured as I'm looking into the matter presently.

That said I was really pleased to read that once you arrived here we looked after you and that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

Many thanks and we look forward to your return.

Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. The good points are the rooms which were clean, modern, comfortable and on the seventh floor facing the train station still quiet. However, the food at the bar although tasting good consisted of very small portions, my chicken curry had 4 chunks of chicken in it, and very expensive especially with a glass of wine.

The food at breakfast was good with some obviously high quality ingredients, fresh juice, good sausage and bacon, freshly cut grapefruit. However I had to wait in line for ten minutes before I got a table, not because there were no free tables but because the staff didn't seem to have time to clear them. The person in front of me said he had been waiting nearly fifteen minutes. This is something that budget hotels get right and there is no excuse here. When travelling on business time can be tight in the morning and you don't want to have to factor in a long wait for a breakfast table.

I stayed for a training day and the conference facilities were good with excellent coffee and snacks in the breaks but I cannot comment on the price as I wasn't paying.

There are also not enough lifts and the ones they have are very slow. Good wifi coverage in hotel although I don't know if generally free to all as it made me log in with my bt broadband Id which meant it was free for me.

I had a good rate as it was arranged with the training so aside from the expensive food I got good value for money but I would not be happy if I paid some of the rates available on their web page.

Overall I would stay again if I had to but I would look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room. Train station behind and busy road in front.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear S Parsons,

First of all many thanks for taking the time to comment upon our hotel and by your other reviews I can see that value for money is at the forefront of your expectations and quite rightly so.

To that end I firmly believe that what we offer is quality and so I'm determined to make sure that when you next visit us (as you must so the team can show you) those good points you've mentioned have become great and that our team are really foccussed on delivering the kind of experience that delivers superb value and a lasting positive impression for all of our guests.

Kind regards and I hope to see you back here soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I came for the use of the spa at the hotel and had a back massage and facial. I have to say it was one of the most relaxing times of my life! The staff were wonderful and Laura who took the session was brilliant, genuinely cares about what she does and makes you feel completely at ease through her manner and in answering any questions you may have about the therapy. The whole experience including the aftercare and relaxation room are highly recommendable! 5 star

• Stayed March 2013
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear awesomedawson,

What a lovely review thank you for all your kind words as well as for letting our future guests know just how much you enjoyed yourself. Super to read also the part that Laura especially played but also the contribution of our great team generally. Please be assured that I have already past on my thanks to them.

Many thanks again and of course we look forward to your return

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Specifically requested a room away form the train station and 4 lanes of traffic to the front of the hotel due to issues at this hote before with noise to only find I had been allocated a bedroom at the back of the hotel close to the mainline station! Hotel is very noisy and not great for light sleepers. Checked in at 13.30, in room Internet both cable and Wifi did not work until 21.30 despite 3 phone calls, 2 visits from engineering and a room move therefore do not plan to work whislt you are here as you can not get connected. Even when I raised the issues to hotel management the response was unsatisfactory, customer services didnt even reply! Overall from my experience I would not stay at this hotel again, there are plenty of more suitable business hotels in Manchester which are around the same price and have better levels of customer service and you can actually work and sleep which are pretty vital elements of business travel.

Room Tip: I would reccomend a room to the back of the hotel away from the traffic and to the right wing away f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Readers,

I've asked TripAdvisor to remove this review as it was written by one a Competitor and isn't at all accurate. I've also been in touch with the person involved but as yet haven't recieved a reply. I've reminded them that TripAdvisor do not now allow for this kind of activity to occur.

Chester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The room was very spacious and well appointed and although Manchester isn't the most beautiful city in the world, the huge panoramic window was lovely. Bed quality was super and I slept really well. It was a city room.

Staff were pleasant although we ordered lunch and it took an age to arrive. It was fine, but pretty expensive for a sandwich and a cup of tea. I went out to meet a friend in the evening, but my husband had a steak supper in the restaurant and he commented upon it saying that it really was excellent.

Later on in the evening, the lounge bar was pleasant but does tend to have the feel of an airport lounge about it. Drinks were seriously pricey mind you.

The spa and gym were very nice, stylist and relaxing.

On the whole, a pleasant enough stay although not outstanding - don't know why, have slightly mixed feelings.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Showqa,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and its one of those reviews were the team can really learn from the feedback and improve. If service is slow and not as attentive as it should be I entirely agree that our guests will always be left feeling a little disappointed so please be assured that we've got the team onto the items that you have raised.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Been to Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!