“Like an ash tray” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clydemount Guest House

Clydemount Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manchester
Clydemount Guest House
You added Clydemount Guest House to your Saves list
866 Hyde Road | Debdale Park, Manchester M18 7LH, England   |
Ranked #4 of 22 Manchester B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Like an ash tray”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking to stay in what can only be described as a furnished ash tray that used to be an old people's home, this is the place for you.

Despite being quite cheap, this place is a complete dump. It is reasonably clean and the staff can be friendly, but he overwhelming smell of stale smoke and damp makes this place one to avoid.

Furthermore, all of the facilities, including the shared bath rooms, have probably not had a face lift in more than 25 years.

It feels old, damp cold and smells intensely of stale smoke. AVOID..

• Stayed March 2013
Clydemount, Owner at Clydemount Guest House, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
First of all we do think you should appologise to all our other guests whom you disturbed during your 1 night stay when you came in at 2.30am and woke them up. Most of our guests were working the following morning so were not happy with the noise and distrubtion you caused after your football match and night out.

We try to cater for all guests and therefore still offer a Limited number of smoking rooms. Smoking is not allowed in any other part of the building.

The room you stayed in has been checked and there are no signs of damp. We have had a guest who has stayed in the same room for a period of 5 weeks January through to February, and requests it each visit, and has reserved that room for a period in April/May.

The bathroom with which you refer to was redecorated in the summer of 2012 including all new tiles, therefore your statement is inaccurate.

Other guests that were in during your visit have rebooked for next week therefore your statement and review is somewhat out of context with others.

Please note we did not charge for damage caused trying to "kick in the door" (other guests words) because you were unable to unlock an already unlocked bedroom door.

Due to disurbance caused and lack of respect for other guests and property we would not consider you welcome here again.

We feel this review is a result of being challenged about your behaviour during your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed in Clydemount Guest House a few days back, for two nights, with my wife, on our way back to Singapore via Manchester and Manchester Airport.
The guest house is a short bus ride and was about 15 - 20 minutes into Manchester centre; the bus stops are close by. The guest house is a Victorian building and retains some of the original features; I really liked the high ceilings and decorative plaster-work.
The owners Phil and Kevin are very ‘user friendly’ and provided a warm and very cheerful welcome for the duration of our stay. I asked, casually, about the opening times of a local sight I wanted to visit and no sooner mentioned and Kevin went off and searched the internet to find out for me whilst I finished my breakfast!
They provided a key each for both me and my wife to come and go, which we thought very considerate. We had breakfast in our package (this is optional) and enjoyed their full English.
The accommodation was clean and warm (it was very cold in Manchester, when we were there) and for the prices charged, very reasonable. Do note the bathroom and toilet is shared, along the landing, but during our stay we had this all to ourselves!
All in all, this was good value, within our budget, and I am very happy to recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Clydemount, Owner at Clydemount Guest House, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Many thanks for your positive comments, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and glad you arrived back in Singapore safely.
It gives a feel good factor to receive positive feed back, we look forward to meeting you again, should you be in the Manchester area.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

On reading a small minority of reviews, I was a little concerned about booking my weekend at the Clydemount.
I should not of worried, I think some people live in cloud cuckcoo land.
The guest house was a wounderful experience from arrival to departure, the owners Philp and Kevin simply could not do enough to make my stay enjoyable. What on earth do some people expect the price was less than half of any other accomadation in the area so I did not expect the RITZ, I found the room clean and tidy and the bed very comfortable, yes there is a main rd out side, but for the time I spent in the room each night (10pm -8am) there is barely any traffic on the road. The furnishings were of satifactory standard and adiquate for my needs, the shared bathroom was explained to me when I made the booking so no complaints there and the bathroom was clean and tidy when I used it.
Finally I had the standard breakfast which filled me up and was extremely tasty I do not think I could manage the large one, all in all I had a really good time and the few people who put poor comments should live in the real world for a while.
Thank you Philp and Kevin look forward to seeing you next year

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Clydemount, Owner at Clydemount Guest House, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Many thanks for your most welcomed and positive comments. It is always a pleasure to receive guests and cater for there needs.
We pride ourselves on having clients that return on a regular basis, and we look forward to your next visit.
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

First stop on our family UK vacation...Hosts are friendly, helpful and attentive. Room was dated, threadbare, and cold. Shared bathroom reminded of university dorm life: rank and mildewy.

WiFi was 2 pounds for 24 hours, but the signal was so weak, it was frustrating, trying to find a decent spot in the room.

Foyer hall and bathroom reeked of stale smoke. Lighting was dim.

We did not have the breakfast.

A couple of nice pubs nearby. On the bus line in/out of town, so that was convenient.

We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face onto the roadway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wallsend-on-Tyne, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

we stopped at clydemount last year,we were at the other house a few doors up,we came down for breakfast to cldemount, the owners were away,but the couple looked after us,she couldn't do enough for us, would definately stop there again without question,no noise at all

Room Tip: we had downstairs room,toilet was just a few secs down passage, lovely and clean,could have bath or...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Washington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Just back from 1 nights stay at the Clydemount. My friend from Canada has come over to visit and we planned a night at the Twisted Wheel in Manchester, I booked the hotel in May. which was just as well as i didnt know the Stone Roses fans were taking over manchester. Kevin met us in the carpark and helped us into reception, What a lovely chatty friendly fella, we had a good chat with him and Phil before we even got to our room. I had booked a twin, and was surprised to find a lovely big room, with a double and a single bed.They were clean and confortable with large windows on a main road and opposite the park entrance. The bathroom is shared, but whenever i went it was always empty. Room was very warm, but not the hotel owners fault, i opened the window to cool it, but the traffic kept my friend awake (did offer her earplugs, but she was scared they would enter her head and get lost) !!!!!!! We didnt book breakfast as we are not breakfast people. The hotel was full, but we were noot disturbed by noise or rowdiness. Can recomend as a cheap overnight stay, no frills, but small and friendly, Thanks Phil and Kevin, x x x x x x x x x x

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
somerset,uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Just spent one night at the Clydemount,found the owners to be friendly and very helpful,giving good information regarding buses, taxis and the surrounding area.As stated by other comments we found the place very dated,in desparate need of a referb,but we found the place clean and warm on a damp manchester evening.Tea and coffee were available in the room,but had to share a washroom.The breakfast,which you pay extra for, was plentyful if lacking quality.Off road parking is a bonus if not very well signed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clydemount Guest House? Share your experiences!