“Thinly veneered but deeply flawed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel

You added Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Portland St, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester M1 4PH, England   |
Ranked #47 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
West Yorkshire
“Thinly veneered but deeply flawed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel when it was the Ramada and vowed never to return, but having seen it had changed to Mecure we decided to give it another go.
On the positive side the rooms have had a lick of paint.
On the negative side the fixtures and fittings are those of the old Ramada right down to the stains in the carpets and the dust which looked to have been there for several years.
The problems with noise between rooms remain as bad as ever. In the room you can hear everything from the adjacent rooms, the corridor and the rooms opposite.
The bed was so uncomfortable as to make you feel you had developed pressure sores after a matter of a couple of hours. Let's not forget that this was in a superior room, for which we paid extra. Thinking about it now it seemed to be one of the standard rooms from its Ramada days.
Check in was a nightmare with a huge queue. (We know the hotel was fully booked but having only 3 staff on reception was always going to fail).
Sleepy Sunday whereby you can have breakfast up to 12 noon was cancelled and all guests were told to be out of the hotel by 11 am. Again the excuse was the hotel was fully booked.
All-in-all it was a most unpleasant experience which we wouldn't wish on anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest

I was saddened to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us recently; please allow me to express my apologies.

Following your feedback through another channel, I have been in touch, along with my Customer Services Manager and I trust from our intervention, you have been satisfied with how we have reacted and that you now feel reassured,

Many thanks for your review and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Swansea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the mecure manchester picadilly hotel, and in all honestly probably wont return. Check-in was relatively swift and hassle free, but when we arrived in our room we were welcomed with an overwhelming smell of damp. Reception staff were more than accommodating with a room change request, however, the 2nd room wasnt a great deal better! The rooms are not particularly spacious, but overall seemed clean. This was more like a budget hotel, except for the price! I have stayed in the Premier Inn for half the price of this hotel and would reccomend it over the Mecure everytime. The only plus is its location, and is conveniently located in manchester for easy access to most of the popular places to visit (we were there to see Coldplay in the Etihad Stadium). Due to the hotel being fully booked on the saturday night, a notice had been posted in the lift informing us that we had to vacate the hotel at 11am on sunday morning, instead of 12, which didnt cause us too much of a problem, however, on 4 occasions between 9am and 10.30am on the day of departure the maid service entered our room (after a very brief knock) enquiring whether they could clean our room!! I wouldnt recommend this hotel to friends, unless it was priced at half the amount we paid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. It goes without saying that I was disappointed to hear that we failed to meet your expectations to the full.

Due to high occupancy levels last weekend and our knowledge that the Hotel was going to be full on both days, mainly due to Coldplay performing at the Etihad Stadium, we took the decision to respectfully ask guests to check out an hour earlier than normal on Sunday morning, in order to assist our Housekeeping Team to get bedrooms serviced and released back to Reception as quickly as possible for guests who we knew would be arriving early afternoon in order to check in and get prepared to make their way to Coldplay’s second concert at the Etihad. I was sorry to hear, however, that the Housekeeping team were a little too eager and knocked several times on your door. I shall certainly address this matter with my Head Housekeeper, along with your feedback regarding a damp smell coming from the bedroom allocated.

Although I appreciate that at this moment in time, you feel you wouldn’t return to us, it is hoped that sometime in the future you may reconsider and at that time, please feel free to contact me, when I’d be delighted to assist with your accommodation needs.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel is ideally positioned within walking distance of everything in the centre of Manchester and next to transport options to travel outwards. Room while small was clean with a comfortable bed - city centre rooms are never going to be the biggest anyway. Food for breakfast looked a little tired but was edible - there was some confusion among breakfast staff as to whether gluten free bread was available or not. Would recommend hotel - we got excellent price for flight plus hotel. All staff were very nice and helpful.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you would recommend us to others. Your comment regarding the confusion over gluten free bread has been duly noted and shared with my Food & Beverage Manager, who will ensure his team are fully briefed and knowledgeable on the gluten free products we have to offer.

Many thanks once again and I trust that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Oldham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed overnight recently and managed to book at bargain price. Really nice room, huge bed, lovely bathroom wih bath and lovely shower - much better than staying in a Travelodge where some of our friends booked in and were really disapointed! We were on a high floor so there was no noise but there was double glazing in the windows anyway. The staff on reception were really welcoming and helpful - we hadn't booked in for breakfast but the staff said we could just decide in the morning and informed us of the price (£7.50 each). We decided to go for it in the morning and it was a good decision as we were really impressed with the selection on the buffet - nice pot of tea for me and pot of coffee for my partner - all in all excellent value and the restaurance staff were really nice with great service. Highly recommended.... will defintiely stay again,

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - great views
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of our hotel following your recent stay. We are genuinely delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and you would choose the hotel again on a future visit to Manchester, as well as recommend us to others.

Many thanks once again.

Darwen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed here in May 2012 with my husband.
Reception area and staff- clean and friendly.
Unfortunately our first impressions when we got to our room were not good...despite obviously having just been cleaned (wet floors, cleaner outside) the smell when we walked in was just horrible. Filthy cleaning mops perhaps? I don't know but it was horrible. Needless to say we dumped our bags and headed out.
Breakfast also a let down. Luke warm coffee and poor attitude of a lady making eggs.
Wont be returning.

Room Tip: Take some air freshener
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was sorry to learn that you left disappointed with the hotel. I thank you, however, for sharing your experience with me, as customer feedback is a fantastic tool, which helps us to maintain our standards and focus on areas that we may need to improve upon. I will be addressing your feedback accordingly with the respective members of my management team to ensure such shortcomings are not repeated.

Although I appreciate that you may not wish to return at this moment in time, I do hope that sometime in the future you may reconsider and at that time, please feel free to contact me when I would be delighted to assist with your accommodation needs.

Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Our stay on Thursday and Friday of last week well exceeded expectations. We initially got a good deal on one night and then decided later to add an additional night. Fortunate enough to get a good deal on the second night as well.
Walk from the station took no more than 5 minutes and the lobby was a great first impression of the hotel.
Check in was smooth and the receptionist was able to allocate the same room for both nights although separate bookings made a few weeks apart. The room was faultless although the bathroom was not the greatest and we made our comments on this via the Accor feedback survey.
Dinner was fantastic. Having made our minds up what we would eat before we got to the restaurant, we were soon swayed and spoilt for choice when we saw the 3 courses for £18.95 menu. Cant remember the last time I enjoyed a meal so much!!
The absolute star of our stay was the helpfulness and professionalism of all staff members we encountered. Nothing was too much trouble and we were always greeted by a smile and hello from everyone, even if just in passing in the corridors.
We definitely look forward to staying again.

Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for posting your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed 1 night recently and had a mostly good experience. Room a bit small but clean, location to rail station is convenient. Was enjoying the free wi-fi in the lounge and decided to walk around the bar... dark wooden floor, black marble steps and dim lighting did not mix well... I wonder how many people have fell down those two steps?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review. I have noted your comment re the black marble steps close to the bar area. I'm pleased to say that to the best of my knowledge during my time here as General Manager, we've not encountered such an accident but your concern has been duly noted and will be discussed with my Property Manager.

I was pleased to hear that on the whole you had a good experience with us and I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

David Daly

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!