“Mercure brand (Accor) - British touch.....oh dear” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel

You added Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Portland St, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester M1 4PH, England   |
Ranked #42 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Mercure brand (Accor) - British touch.....oh dear”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This is a former Ramada property and this shows immediately when they can't even be bothered to replace the parking signs with their own brand....but so far, no big deal. Handy car park in the middle of grubby Manchester and with the nice touch of some seating outside for a smoke or a drink to chill out whilst overlooking some discoloured concrete brutalist architecture. That's where the luxury ends though, and once inside about midday we were told our room wasn't ready...right....neither was anyone else's with the result that at 2pm there is a massive queue of people who have been told the same thing- customer service big zero- Europeans and anywhere else in the world are a lot more flexible but I predicted this. Hotel- -60s brutalist starting to flake and peel- out of date as the majority of british hotels are. Tiny lifts whisk you up to your floor where, if you're not knocked out by the low ceilings then you get to your cell, i mean, room. Twiin room barely enough room to swing a cat- hopelessly outdates and flaking apart- two people cannot pass themselves in the room wtihout one person lying down- the twin beds roll about as though they are on ice, so where you started up you can assure you won't be ending up- saying that there is barely enough room for them to move about it- no mini bar- normal- brits can't be trusted not to pinch stuff and not pay for it- car park costs a huge rip-off TWELVE PPOUNDS! Breakfast- too many people and the breakfast area itself diminutive- the most basic of selection of foods and lots had run out and wasn't replaced with haste. I had a bit of fruit and left. All in all poor, but being Britain, what do you expect?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Architecturally we are a 1960’s building situated in a prime central location in Manchester. I was disappointed to hear that you found our hotel to be out-dated. £18million was spent on upgrading the Hotel, both externally and internally, and as a Company we will continue to invest in our property to ensure that it is always looking its best.

We do specify a check in time from 2:00pm, however, we will always do our utmost to check guests into the hotel earlier than this should the room type they have requested be available at that time. I am sorry that on this occasion it was not possible to do so.

As mentioned, one of the main benefits of the hotel is our central location together with the fact that we are extremely lucky to have our own on-site car park, which is secure and allows guests the comfort of leaving their vehicle and being only steps away from the entrance into the hotel. A car parking charge has always been in operation at the Hotel and is publicised. However, when you consider our charge compared to the local NCP’s who can charge up to £22.00 per overnight stay, then we believe the price we charge is extremely favourable. I can confirm that the car park signage has now been updated.

Your comment regarding breakfast has been taken on board and will be addressed accordingly with my Head Chef, as well as my Food & Beverage Manager, who will ensure that we are delivering breakfast to its very best on every occasion.

Thank you once again for your review.

David Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I had booked this hotel in advance as I was visiting Manchester for work purposes. The hotel is nice and close to the train station and the bus/tram which was really useful in terms of travel. Unfortunately I was overlooking the square where the trams pick up and drop off on a regular basis which caused a fair bit of noise. I could hear other guests talking as well so I don't think the soundproofing was too good. I know it is in a city centre but I have stayed at a hotel in the throng of Marble Arch traffic in London before and not heard a peep so it can be done... The accomodation is tired looking and basic although it was clean. The pillows and mattress were comfortable but I did feel cold in the night and there wasn't any extra bedding so I ended up putting my coat over me as well. Yes, I could have got up and attempted to adjust the heating but I took the easy option. The breakfast and lunch was very nice. The staff were friendly. I would probably choose another hotel if I were to go to Manchester on business again.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the square miss the tram noise but at the weekend it is noisy with sirens and revel...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Hotel following your stay.

The Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel is a three star property, and as you have mentioned is centrally located close to rail links as well as Manchester's tram and bus service, which is situated just by us. I was sorry to hear that noise transfer from the traffic below, as well as noise from a neighbouring guest, caused you some disturbance.

I was pleased to hear, however, that you enjoyed breakfast and lunch, and you found the team friendly. I was disappointed to hear though that on a future stay in Manchester, you may look to source alternative accommodation. It goes wiithout saying that I would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back and with this in mind, if you do ever consider returning to us, then please feel free to cantact me.

Many thanks once again for your candid review.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

It's all about location with Mercure Manchester Piccadilly. It's a close walk from the central train terminal. Or if you like you can walk out of the station and get on one of 2 free bus routes (that take you around the city) that have a stop right nearby.

The hotel is built on top of a carpark and overlooks Piccadilly square, giving a good view of Manchester from the higher floors. It's a close walk to the central night life areas, Chinatown, canals and other attractions, with the Visitor Information centre located on the ground floor below the hotel. Although the hotel is also located near to the central bus port and light rail area, noise intrusion was at a minimum and along with a comfortable bed ensured a good nights rest.

Check-in was hassle free and welcoming with a room on the 7th floor. The room itself was clean with only a few carpet stains and a large bathroom. A work desk is provided with 2 conveniently located and useful power sources. Internet charges are reasonable and there is free wifi available in the lobby area. A flatscreen TV was situated next to the work desk and lacked channel variety if you don't want to pay for movies.

It was a great location for a first time, one night visit to Manchester.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor following your one night stay with us; it really is appreciated.

Many thanks once again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed here in February on a work trip and really enjoyed my stay. I turned up at the hotel quite early but as there were room ready, I was able to check in and freshen up before heading to the office.

The hotel is situated right by Piccadilly Gardens which means it's right by the tram stops - perfect for anyone wanting to travel to MediaCityUK. The hotel is also within easy walking distance to Manchester Piccadilly station, restuarants and bars too.

Rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. The one I had looked as if they have been recently refurbished.

The only thing is, if you have never been to Manchester or don't know it very well - don't be fooled into thinking that Piccadilly Gardens is a lovely serene gardens, it's not, it's actually a bit of a hole!

I have absolutely no problem in staying here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will certainly stay with us again on future visits to Manchester. We therefore look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed for our anniversary weekend over the 28th of April, the hotel staff and facilities are great, with the customers services second to none, from the moment we walked in to the woman on the morning breakfasts nothing was too much, would recommend to anybody, also great location for shopping and other activities.

Well done to the Mercure staff making our weekend fab
best rgds

Room Tip: The room was excellent no issues at all, just been refurbed
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing such a great review with your fellow Tripadvisor viewers.

The team were all delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we had the opportunity to play some part in your anniversary celebrations.

Many thanks once again and I trust that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Chelmsford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

After a gap of over 15 years I had occasion to visit Manchester to attend a University Forum. It had changed dramatically (most impressively) since my last visit and I stayed at the Hotel Mercure for two days. The service was excellent, the room very clean and the attention to detail a welcome change to some hotels I had used over the last few years. Food was much better than expected (hot food at lunchtimes instead of the standard buffet) with a wide choice of very fine food. Overall an excellent customer experience so I thought I ought to share it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

I was thrilled to read that overall you had an excellent customer service experience and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I do hope that it won't be another 15 years before you head back to Manchester again and trust that on a future visit, we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David
Huddersfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed here for a two day business meeting. Impressions were very mixed and I have to say I concur with some of the points raised in the poor reviews recently posted. The stairs are more like a building site than a hotel and the pings when someone calls the lifts need turning down. Public areas however are generally smart and spacious, with great views of the city centre from the many floors – very Lowry-esque.
The room was clean and the bed comfortable but the air conditioning blew out more cold than hot air. The hotel phone is horrendously expensive and connections produced such a loud buzzing noise that I used my mobile instead of having to shout. My colleague had non-functioning heating as well and so was moved to a suite whose sitting room very strangely had no TV or internet access. Which you do have to pay for - £12 for 24 hours consecutive – quite a rip off. The hotel info does not tell you that it’s free in the bar! The barman was very helpful, polite, efficient and friendly, the bar and brasserie menus are more than adequate and the food was good. I was not offered credit card authorisation on arrival however, which was inconvenient when having supper. On a more positive note, my colleague praised her room service cooked to order ‘blue’ steak. Less praiseworthy was the food provided for our meeting, very patchy, and the room a bit too cosy for the numbers attending.
We had a problem with the screen display for our presentation which the attendant was unable to fix. He spoke very poor English and on our enquiry told us that the hotel could not provide disposal of confidential papers from the meeting. This I later found was not true, otherwise my colleague would have been obliged to cart a couple of stones of the stuff back to London on public transport.
Breakfast was hopeless – not enough staff on. Guests queued for in excess of ten minutes to be sent to wander around the dining area looking for somewhere with a place setting to sit down. There was nowhere, obliging guests to sit at uncleared tables and hope that staff dawned near to clean up, set a place and bring hot drinks and toast. This took approaching half an hour and was the worst service I recall experiencing at a hotel breakfast. The food is otherwise self-service and not very carefully presented. Cold croissants, Danish and pain au chocolat at breakfast were recycled for our meeting’s elevenses - still cold. My fruit salad contained a piece of pineapple so hard that it flew across the room when I attempted to cut into it.
Overall the impression is of somewhere which will just about do, very curate’s egg-ish, one would not look forward that much to retuning. It’s not a patch on the Radisson, which has recently offloaded the Mercure – I can see why – but which now exceeds the company budget. What is worrying is that the meeting almost did not happen, because the Mercure turned down the company credit application, made two months in advance, one week before the meeting. The company regularly books Mercure hotels in other cities. You have been warned!
We are now looking for somewhere more satisfactory for the next visit. Manchester has numerous city centre hotels, and we hope to encounter a more consistently good experience elsewhere.

Room Tip: Not near the lifts.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Guest

I was extremely sorry to read your comments. In response to your feedback, we have today met with your colleague who was still in attendance at the Hotel for day two of your event and following that conversation, we are in the process of addressing and remedying the issues that you have highlighted with the objective of your events returning to us. As discussed with your colleague, we are extremely committed to ensuring that events taking place at the Hotel run to our client's exact requirements and I am confident that going forward, all future visits will be to your complete satisfaction.

If, however, you would like to contact me personally to discuss your individual points, then I would be more than happy to hear from you, and to be able to give you reassurances that we take all guest feedback extremely seriously and will address any shortfalls that may have occurred to ensure they are not repeated. Please free to contact me on 0161 234 6002.

Thank you for your candid feedback and I trust that I may hear from you in due course.

David Daly

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!