“Fantastic night away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Lincoln
“Fantastic night away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

I was lucky enough to stop at this hotel for free, whilst working at a conference at the hotel for a client of mine.

I admit, that this does bias my opinion, but I'd definitely return to the hotel again for a paid stay.

With being in the city centre, the hotel has
no parking, however there's a conveniently located NCP car park over the road from the hotel.

When arriving at the hotel, the reception staff were extremely efficient and friendly, and I was soon in my 8th floor room.

As I didn't have a say in the room I got, I was allocated a twin room. That said, it was absolutely brilliant. The room had floor to ceiling windows looking over Manchester city centre.

The bathroom was luxurious, with fine towels and a relaxing bath.

The room had a mini bar and 32" LCD TV.

I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, however the food that we were served was delicious, but did take time to arrive (we ate in a conference room on the evening of arrival)

After dinner, our group proceeded to the much talked-about Cloud Bar to pass the night away with cocktails.

The Cloud Bar is a VIP bar in the hotel and accessible via a single lift overlooked by a bouncer. There are stunning views over the city.

A double shot of sambuca cost £11, which to me is expensive, but having not paid for the hotel, I could hardly complain.

After retiring to the room rather worse for wear in the small hours, I had a comfortable night in the room. The pillows were very soft and comfortable.

I didn't make it up for breakfast, but I hear it was very good.

On a different note, the conferencing facilities were very well organised.

I would definitely return to the hotel for a short break.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

Stayed here 2 nights. Car parking over the road ( ask for hotel discount) and city centre very nearby .
Nothing wrong with the hotel, but dont book it expecting it to be out of this world because its the Hilton. I would describe it as a posh travelodge.
Although our room was clean we did find a tab end ( thats a half smoked cigarette)on the floor so attention to detail was lacking in the cleaning department - I must stress though that the room was clean.
On arrival there was short queue for reception - dont expect doors opening and red carpet treatment here.
After a night out we rang room service and was told of a very limited memu, in other words cheese and ham toasties at £7. We declined - dont expect to be fed like a king.
I would say stay here if you are paying a similar price to Holiday Inn type places as overall it is a nice hotel in a good location.
Dont plan on keeping your own booze in the fridge, its locked.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed here for a saturday night and got a good rate in the hotel sale they did in January. Check in was as to be expected at a 4 star hotel, efficient and polite. Valet parking only £20.00. We travelled in a group so i had booked a few rooms. The executive rooms have a slightly bigger bathroom and a larger bed but seemed no bigger than a standard room. The views are amazing from any floor so i wouldn't worry about being high up. Went to cloud 23 which was nice but way to expensive and to be honest a little overrated - £11.50 for a glass of champagne and there is a queue.
I think there are better hotels in Manchester, but its good if you get a good rate. The hotel needs to lower drinks prices, as it would be lovley to spend time in the hotel, but it would just be too expensive for most.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

I had booked a room for my husband's birthday and decided to splash out on an executive room with access to the executive lounge with plenty of free facilities. The executive lounge was excellent, with free snacks and drinks, including alcohol and a lovely view over the skyline of manchester from the 23rd floor, internet access and TV. Our room was lovely at first glance but there were a few maintainance issues that really should have been sorted before letting this room to residents. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath, with in-built tv and a 5 jet shower which looked fab! BUT the jacuzzi only had one working jet, the tv wasn't working and the shower flooded the bathroom. These facilities were the main reason I booked this more expensive room as opposed to a standard room and unfortunately felt let down and regretted paying that litte extra. Otherwise was a great stay and like I say, the executive lounge was a real treat. pool and gym were excellent (had it all to oursleves in the morning!). Advice for breakfast-if you want a full cooked breakfast, have it downstairs in the restaurant - its only really a continental breaskfast in the executive lounge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

We stayed in an executive plus room for the a weekend break. It was on the 16th floor which gave great views of the city and access to the executive executive lounge on the 23rd floor. There are cheaper hotels, however none will give this sort of view.

I cannot fault anything that the hotel provided - the rooms were clean, well furnished and well equipped. The staff we very helpful, and the free alcohol in the exec lounge went down well!

The hotel itself is well positioned and close to the city centre.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Bangor Co Down
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

Excellent location to travel to - train from Manchester Airport to Deansgate station - 2 minute walk. Friendly reception staff adn up to 6th floor. Nice modern room. freshened up and down to restaurant for meal. Nice enough though pricey but hade expected that. End of day up to bed. Room very warm. Air conditioning unit showed a spanner on control panel not a good sign. But it was 11:30 at nigth and i wanted to sleep. Uncomfortable night. After breakfast came back to stuffy room and after a short converstion with chamber maid found that the whole floor had a problem with the sir conditioning. Went down to complain and was immediately moved to 13th floor. Fortuneately I'm not superstitous. Rest of stay was vey nice. Was able to used the leisure facilities on the last day. Veyr helpful member of staff and good if a little compact facilities. Unusual to be able to look throught the bottom of the pool to the street several stories below. All round a good stay but a little miffed tha i was put in a room on a fllor where they seemingly knew there was a problem without the courtesy of at lease warning me. I am always suspicious of the country bumkin factor (he'll never notice hes just a simple irishman) so i hope that this wasn't in action here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Fleetwood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We made a special trip to this hotel from Blackpool to have afternoon tea before going to the theatre in the city, so we arrived early, having phoned to confirm we could just 'turn up' and that would be fine. The main problem about this place is that it has obvious 5 star prices for one star service. Not only were we given the wrong information and could not get tea, we were told that they had run out of food also ! One of the reception staff found this funny, as he said that 'loads of people complain, but get nowhere'. I will not go into details here, but I have had a problem getting any response to my complaint, despite the manager telling me she would write and give us a complementary afternoon tea. We were treated to a drink in the executive lounge in recompence on the day, but impressions were not good. Staff seem to accept these sort of problems as normal, but I think they should realise that first impressions count. I had to write to the USA with my complaint before finaly getting a letter from the incompetent management of this hotel. IF we had been treated OK and found the standard to be Ok we would have booked accomodation for that night and stayed over. Instead of that we were left with the impression of a poorly run hotel with terrible customer service. If this is Hilton they can keep it..Never again. we will not be returning for out 'complementary' afternoon tea !

Dr Malc

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Manchester Deansgate? Share your experiences!