“Loved the Hilton!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Cheshire
“Loved the Hilton!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

Booked an executive plus room to celebrate my Daughter's birthday. Arrived at 11:30 and were going to leave our bags whilst we went into the city to do some shopping.
Pleasantly surprised to find our room was available - checked in at the executive lounge and were in our room before 12:00.
Room was comfortable and had all that we needed - view of the city was great.
Best thing about the stay was the executive lounge where refreshments are free all day - we made very good use of this facility and certainly got our moneys worth! It is housed on 23rd floor next to Cloud 23 - amazing views of the city.
Cloud 23 is worth a visit but drinks as you would imagine are expensive.
We found all the staff very friendly and helpful.
It's a pleasant 10 minute walk into the city centre - lots of bars and restaurants nearby too.
Breakfast was good, although we asked for pancakes and were told that they only had waffles - waited 15 minutes and they did not arrive so gave up.
All in all, a really enjoyable stay - though I would not have been willing to pay the full rate (got 50% rate in the January sale).
Would never book a non-exec room though as the lounge was the best thing about the stay.

• Liked — Executive lounge and the views
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bromley, Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Third time we've stayed here and probably the last. Nothing terrible about this hotel but its fairly overpriced and the rooms are starting to show signs of age.

Good location, great views from rooms on the higher floors, but the little details have been overlooked such as mould on the bathroom
grouting, and cracks on a side table.

Breakfast is good, and the cloud bar is impressive for the first few times and you get priority entry. But there are better hotels in Mcr such as the Raddison Edwardian.

Entertainment is provided later in the evening when the queue for the cloud bar lift is full of cheap imitation wag wannabes with bad hair extensions and fake tans. I think just in general that the owners of the franchise are more concerned with making money from their intial investment than maintaining high standards of room decor. Its a policy that they will probably come to regret if they let standards slip any further.

• Liked — views from the room and location
  • Disliked — fairly poor standard or repair in the room
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I booked this hotel as I have been waiting for an excuse to give it a try since it opened - I booked the room on Hilton.co.uk and took advantage of there January Sale and received a very good rate.

Arrived at hotel to check-in at 1815 and the room wasn't ready, the gentleman advised that the hotel was full and the room would be ready in around 30mins (not what you expect) He suggested we have a drink at the bar while we wait, I asked him if this would be courtesy of Hilton? He then said that we could go up to Exec Lounge where Complimentary Drinks & Canapes where being served - I accepted his offer and after a quick call to the Lounge we were on our way up to the 23rd Floor!

On arrival at the Lounge we were welcomed in, however the Lounge was so busy there wasn't a seat to be had. We walked up and down but everyone seemed to be settled, more and more guests just kept coming and at one point I thought they would have to stop people from entering!
After having 2 drinks stood up we eventually managed to grab a seat. The Lounge Staff came over after about 30mins advising the room was ready and handed two keys over. I would have been very upset if I had paid the £200 charge for Exec Rate and been unable to get a seat/drink/food in the Lounge!

The room iteself was very light and airy, and very well equipped as was the bathroom and all cleaned to a hight standard - no complaints here!

The rate we had inc Breakfast so we got down to the restaurant at about 1000, we waited to be shown to a table for about 15minutes.
The waiter advised us to help ourselves to the buffet when we were ready and tea+coffee would be over soon - this never arrived and after requesting it 3 times from the waiting staff I went and poured my own - not what you expect from a 5* Property.
We got to the Buffet to get some fruit, yoghurt and cereal only to find all of the fresh chopped fruit bowls empty, only yoghurt and yoghurt drinks available - I asked the chef if there was anymore and he said he thinks it had all been used! I couldn't believe it - anyway after 10min waiting more fruit appeared - this was fine.
We went back for some cooked breakfast, the usual cooked fayre available however Bacon was extremely fatty and hash browns all gone, again a poor let down.
Whilst we ate our breakfast we saw other guests being shown to unmade tables and being told to go to the buffet and the table would be set when they got back, however several guests arrived back and had to wait at least 10mins for tables to be set and cutlery to be given - their not so hot breakfasts would surely have bene cold by this time!
Overall the staff were slow, untrained and didn't really know what they should have been doing. I appreciate the hotel may have been full but the kitchen should have accomodated this, I didn't expect such a poor effort for such a glitzy Hilton property.

On checkout we were asked if everything was to our satifcation with our stay, I told the lasy all of the problems and she smurked and said "It's not good really is it" well no it wasn't good and not what is expected from Hilton? I travel every week with my job and stay in Hilton all over the world and can honestly say this was the worst stay I have had regarding service.

I will not stay here again and would reccomend people to use the new Crowne Plaza which is more centrally located nr Triangle Centre further in to town or Radisson on the next block down.

Any questions feel free to drop me an email.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton on Deansgate on NYE 2008 with 2 friends. I am extremely surprised at how bad this hotel is. 15 minute queue to get in the lift (going up and coming back down again), no stairs unless there is a fire, 4 1/2 hours for our luggage to be delivered to our room, surly reception staff with no sense of humour or personalities, Cloud 23 not open to residents on NYE unless you paid £25 for the privilege (we only wanted a drink) this wasn't advertised and was only made aware to us when we tried to get in, need i go on!?!?
The rooms were comfortable, however, they are in need of an update/repair (scratched/marked furniture, stains on the carpets, marks/chips on the walls). I know you should allow for general wear and tear but for the price you pay for a room, i have seen Travellodge Rooms in better state of repair. Definitely won't be staying here again. This was supposed to be a special occassion for myself and my husband and as such we treated ourselves to stay at the Hilton, never again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

we invited the family up to manchester for a night out and we stayed at the britannia hotel (old and crusty!!) and had to stay a second night somewhere so jumped on expedia and found a 98 pound room at the hilton then thought, why not. it was an exec room with access to the exec lounge. no idea what that meant but its made the experience of staying at the hilton all worth it. think of a first class guests only lounge on the 23rd floor and thats what it is. all the free booze you can handle and food served throughout the day. free internet and printing and just damn classy. if you book to come here, go the exec rooms with access to the lounge. dont be like the british cows that came in though and had that 'IM GONNA GET ALL MY MONEYS WORTH' attitude. just go in and enjoy it...

thats all.

• Liked — the executive lounge
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My husband and I spent 6th to 8th Dec in the Hilton Hotel, Deansgate, Manchester as we were going to see Man utd game on 6th Dec. The Dining Area of the Hotel was very cold and the food was also cold. In my opinion the Hotel should have a Micro Wave available for the guests to heat up the food . The tea which they seemed to have in a flask type Jug was also very cold. The plates at the breakfast were also stacked so high that they were cold. We were booked in for 2 nights B/B plus one dinner and we arrived so early the first day we decided to have breakfast in the Hotel and found it very expensive - about £36 - and very disappointing..... The bedrooms were quite spacious and very clean - We went up to the sky bar at night and it was so dark there that we couldnt even read the menu - so we went back downstairs to the reception bar. We stayed in the Hilton Hotel in Limerick a few times and absolutely loved it.

• Liked — It was situated close to railway station and also close to Cinemas
  • Disliked — The coldness of the food......
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed here on New Years Eve and I was very impressed. I stay in a lot of Hiltons for work, but this was a lot nicer than most, especially in terms of its modern decor.

Things initially looked bad as we hadn't recieved our tickets for Cloud 23 in the post (with it being NYE) and the lady on reception said no Diamond Hhonors people were being upgraded although I'd had an email promise that I would be, but all of this was sorted and we got our executive floor room. Having lounge access is a great bonus, and it's worth remembering that you only get bathrobes in the exec rooms, if you are going to the pool.

The pool itself is nice and modern, but very narrow so quickly gets crowded. There's not a lot of space around it for relaxing either.

We had dinner in Podium and then drinks in Cloud 23, both of which were faultless. As I live in Manchester I've seen a lot of criticism for Cloud 23, but it looks to me that they've sorted out their issues with slow service in Cloud 23, and the cocktails and the views are still fantastic.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Manchester Deansgate? Share your experiences!