“Eventually a Fantastic stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From £180
Ranked #40 of 117 hotels in Manchester
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
“Eventually a Fantastic stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Firstly the lobby, concierge and valet services (cost £20) were fantastic. We booked an Executive King Spa Room arrived early to enjoy the Christmas Market prior to check in. We were informed someone was in our room and to return at 3pm when rooms were guaranteed which we did. We were directed up to the club lounge. This provides nibbles during the day and drinks throughout - wine seemed to be included in the afternoon but more acceptable with the very tasty canopes at 6-8pm.

We were disappointed to find out that, despite 3 hours of warning that we were in Manchester, our room was not made up, and was not completed until 4.15pm - something that was definately not what we had planned at £230 per night - you expect the full time in your room. The lady in the club lounge offered us (after persuasion) 1 hour later check out, a bottle of wine in our room (cheap and rough wine!) and a glass of champagne whilst we waited. This disappointment was severely set in as it was a birthday trip and we didn't totally feel that these extras which could all be got from the executive lounge after (champagne excluded) 6pm made up for the poor maid service. And being told our room was particularly dirty doesn't really appeal to anyone stayig in a hotel for the night.

After eventually checking into our 16th floor room and inspecting it for cleanliness, we were satisfied it was clean. A wonky lamp was our only gripe and showed lack of attention to detail. The room was a good size, bathroom had a large shower with extra jets and a separate jet bath which was nice, with a television in the bathroom. The television didn't have films etc so don't expect that though.

Room service were slow providing an ice bucket for the complimentary wine - another lack of attention to detail.

We were pleased our complimentary extra pillows and towels were in the room upon arrival and a Happpy Birthday plate with chocolates and fruit was a nice touch. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet providing a lovely nights sleep to even a light sleeper.

Overall a great stay if you don't consider the 1.5hour wait to get into our room. Would recommend the executive rooms as you can really get your moneys worth in the club lounge, and breakfast comprised limited hot food as well as toast and pastries etc.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this detailed review.

I am pleased that you were able to book to stay in an Executive room and that you were able to use the facilities of our 23rd Executive Lounge.

Please accept my apologies that your room was not ready at 3.00pm. The night prior to your stay was very busy and unfortunately our Housekeeping team were under pressure to service all of the rooms in preparation for check in. Our Executive Head Housekeeper is reviewing her planning in order we avoid a repeat of this situation.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your room and that you had a great nights sleep in our comfortable beds.

Delighted to learn that my team recognised your birthday and placed a ‘celebration plate’ in your room.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

2,003 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Korean first
Brighton, United Kingdom

Location:
Great location in the city centre. You can reach most of city attraction pretty easy from this hotel.

Room:
Decent size room, with refresh modern interior, and comfortable bed. The bathroom size a bit small, but very clean and well maintained. Great view if you get high-floor room.

Staff:
Staff was very friendly and explain everything when we arrived. They give a lot of suggestion for us.

Facilities:
"Living Well" fitness centre available on the decent size and very clean. Indoor pool also available. Very limited parking space, if you cannot get one then you can go the the next building for NCP and give the ticket to the hotel reception for discount rate. Cloud 23 bar was a great experience - must visit.

In Conclusion:
Great location hotel with refreshed interior. I would recommend this hotel for both business and leisure.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your very informative feedback with everyone, we really appreciate it.

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you found our location, facilities, service and team members to be excellent.

Thank you for recommending us and I do hope that we are able to look after you once again on a future stay.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Like the other positive reviewers, I am rather puzzled by the bad reviews for this hotel but they have compelled me to add my two pennies worth. I thought this hotel was excellent. My bedroom was spacious, clean and comfortable with a stupendous view over the city; so much so that I didn’t close my curtains. It was located right at the end of the corridor, so I wasn’t disturbed by other guests.

The one thing which would have irritated me if I hadn’t been alone, is the fact that there is a little window between the bath- and bedroom, right by the head of the bed. So if your partner goes to the (very nice) bathroom in the middle of the night, then the bathroom light would shine in your face.

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. I also went to the Cloud Bar in the evening (after queuing for what seemed like hours), which I found over-priced, pretentious and boring, but as I am not in the market to nab myself a footballer, I clearly don’t form part of their target audience.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

We appreciate the time taken to complete this review.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us recently and like many other guests; you enjoyed the wonderful, panoramic views of Manchester from the floor to ceiling windows of your bedroom and that you had a good breakfast prior to your departure.

Thank you for your comment regarding the frosted glass pane in our guest bedrooms. I can only apologise that this design feature is not too your liking. However, I am very pleased to read that this will not deter you from returning to the hotel.

My apologies that you had to wait to gain access to Cloud 23. As a valued guest of the hotel you are given priority access with those booked on the guest list. We are limited to numbers on the 23rd floor due to fire regulations and I am sorry that you encountered a wait on this occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Lancs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in July 2011. The receptionist was friendly and check in efficient. The room was nice and clean, only issue being the bathroom door was broken and would not close. We had a room on the 4th floor, and the view we had wasn't great so I'd suggest asking for a room with a good view.

We also went up to the cocktail bar, the wait for which was quite lengthy. It was nice but we were very crammed in, my boyfriend and I were sat on a small table with a group of ladies and it felt as if we were intruding on their night, so we had one drink and left.

The breakfast was nice, with plenty of choice. Check in was also quick and easy.

The hotel is great for going to the bars on Deansgate locks, but bit of a walk into Manchester.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
BernadetteFGilligan, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for completing this review on line following your stay with us July 2011.

I am delighted that you received good service during your stay and that we were able to offer you a room on a higher floor on request, although I am very sorry that there was an issue with the bathroom door. I can confirm that this has since been fixed.

Cloud 23 is very popular with our guests and the general public. However, as a resident of the hotel you are given priority access with those booked on the guest list. Due to fire regulations we are restricted to 200 guests maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor and at times people are choosing to queue to gain entry and I am very sorry that you had to wait on this occasion.

I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast as we are always happy to offer our guests a wide variety.

I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Large modern, smart hotel with good friendly service. Executive rooms are on the higher floors giving great views over Manchester, especially with the window taking up nearly all one wall. Executive lounge is on the same floor as the Cloud Bar (but without the queue to get in on a Saturday night) with table service for alcohol early evenings. Swimming pool long and narrow, built out from the side of the building also giving views, the gym was not very big. Handy position to walk to shops and pubs etc or to get the tram. Did not encounter any noise in the night.Only problem was one lift was out so had to wait a while each time we went to our room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really appreciate it.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am pleased that you encountered good service and like many other guests, you found the location of the hotel to be suitable for the many amenities Manchester has to offer.

I agree that our floor to ceiling windows in our guest’s rooms offer panoramic views of Manchester.

Unfortunately, during your stay one of our guest lifts broke down, an engineer was called to site within 2 hours. Unfortunately the problem could not be rectified immediately as it meant waiting for a specialist part to be delivered. I have asked our lift engineers to keep spares here on site so that next time we will avoid the wait.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Preston UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I sometimes think that if a hotel is part of a chain then it tends to attract bad reviews. Having read what some people say about the Manchester Hilton it is almost if I have stayed in a different hotel. This is a relative newcomer and it is well positioned for socialising and shopping. The rooms are large and have everything you would expect. All the staff are friendly and the breakfast is....well just as good as every other Hilton. they do breakfast better than any of the othert chains. the Cloud bar is well worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
BernadetteFGilligan, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive and informative feedback with everyone following your stay with us.

We are fortunate enough to be ideally located within Manchester and in walking distance of the great amenities that the city has to offer.

I am really pleased that you had a great stay with us and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hotel was just what I expected, clean and comfortable and, from the 15th floor, a good view of the south side of Manchester. Rooms were modern and well equipped with iron, safe and internet connection. Had the air conditioning on all night at a low setting to keep the room cool and this was the last weekend in November so don't know how hot they get in the summer months. Used the pool and sauna as well which done the job. The Hilton gives you a 15% discount off the NCP car park across the road. Leave plenty of time to obtain a ticket at busy times as the car park has one payment meter and I had to wait in a queue of some 25 minutes to pay. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your informative feedback with everyone following your stay with us.

I am really pleased that your visit to Manchester was a positive one and I hope that this trip was the first of many to our wonderful city.

I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and that you had a great view from you 15th floor bedroom.

Great to read you will be returning to the hotel in the future and it will be our pleasure to look after you once again.

Bernadette Gilligan

Been to Hilton Manchester Deansgate? Share your experiences!