“A decent Manchester base” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex)

You added Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex) to your Saves list
Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex)
7 - 11 Lower Mosley St, Bishopsgate, Manchester M2 3DW, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Great deals online.
Ranked #17 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Durham, United Kingdom
“A decent Manchester base”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We visited for 2 nights 7-9 June as we were going to the Bon Jovi concert at the Ethiad stadium. You can't really go wrong with Premier Inn, and this one was no exception. Check in was OK, although I do prefer checking in at a desk rather than using self service check in machines, but both options were provided.

However, I've not given five stars because the room we had, 718, was rather small, and there was a reasonably loud hum coming from the fire escape next to the room which prevented me from falling asleep as fast as I normally do. However, the other Premier Inn staples were handled perfectly. Lovely comfy bed and sofa bed, friendly helpful staff, and a great breakfast, although on both mornings many hot items were in short supply and the fruit compote was VERY sharp!

The hotel is located a little off the main drag, but as it's on the Metrolink (tramway) it's dead easy to find, just follow the tramway out of Piccadilly and turn left where they split just after the Piccadilly Gardens tram stop) or if you're feeling particularly lazy hop on the tram to St Peter's Square tram stop, which is pretty much right outside the hotel. Manchester city centre is pretty compact so it'll only take 10 minutes to walk to Piccadilly station, or less than that to get to the Arndale.

Do bear in mind though that the tramway runs right past the front of the hotel, and trams run from about 5am-1am (and they honk at pedestrians!), so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the rear of the hotel. Our room was on the 7th floor and on the side of the building instead of the front, but we could still hear the trams.

Overall though, this is a pretty decent place to stay in Manchester, good value and comfortable. I would stay here again, although there are a couple of Premier Inns closer to the very heart of the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you're a light sleeper to avoid honking trams!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Centralpi, Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex), responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent response. Myself and my team are always grateful for all feedback as we work hard at trying to ensure that all guests have the best possible stay. I'm sorry you found room 718 slightly noisy, its next to some of the generators and does give off a slight buzz. We try to use this room as a last let but this isn't always possible as the Hotel is very busy. The trams do run infront of the hotel from 6am till 11pm. The Hotel does have double glazing but you can still hear the horns, on occassion.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I believe this is fourth stay at this Premier Inn facility, and my first stay with my wife. I am a devoted fan of Premier Inns when staying in the UK as I find them quite consistent across the chain in providing low cost, clean and comfortable accommodations – always with an attached restaurant/pub. I am a Hilton Diamond member and could have opted for the not too distant (Deansgate) Hilton, but familiarity, price and location made the Premier Inn my preferred selection.

Our room was 525 – high floor facing the rear of the building. My personal thanks to the operations manager Dorene McDavid for quickly answering a few questions via email and making a note in my week long reservation about the room preference. As always I was pleased with the room in terms of size and, as always, cleanliness. The A/C worked well and we could optionally open the window while away to air out the room. My only minor complaint would be the bathroom sink had separate hot and cold taps – this makes tepid water an impossibility.

The 10 GBP per week WiFi was a bargain, but I found the service a bit dodgy especially while using Google Chrome browser as the DNS seemed to fail more frequently than I liked.

The desk staff were very helpful and friendly. I needed to print a few boarding passes and the lovely young lady on duty on Friday early evening provided me with an email address for the front desk and offered to print the emailed passes. She then found me in the attach pub and delivered the printed pages – a special touch I thought. I also reserved a taxi through this lady for the next morning and it arrived promptly at the indicated time.

The nearby Oxford Road train station and wide selection of local restaurants, see my review of The Paramount pub, make this Premier Inn my accommodation of choice in Manchester.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a room facing the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Centralpi, Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex), responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your recent review relating to your stay with us. Sorry I wasn't around to say hello, it would have been so nice to put a face to the email. I'm so glad you liked the room we allocated, the back of the building is always much quieter and the higher floors allow you to enjoy some of the views of the City. Myself and my team are delighted you decided to stay with us instead of the nearby Hitlon. We work hard at trying to ensure that every guest has the best possible stay. I hope your wife enjoyed the Hotel. Re your point relating to the taps, we always have separate taps as the hot water is very hot and this enables guests to control the temperature easily. I hope you will be able to come back and visit us again in the near future. Please feel free to email if I can help with any requsts.

Operations Manager
Bristol, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

But lovely staff, fast lifts (!!), and the usual good bed and good shower one expects from Premier Inns.
I was amazed though.... considering the age of this hotel, the bedrooms and shower rooms were tiny. In fact, my shower room was so small there was only just enough room to stand in front of the sink without touching the edge of the toilet bowl!!!
GREAT, central location though. Ideal.
I would return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review relating to your stay. The Hotel is actually 12 years old and we do as you say have some shower rooms. We try, when occupancy allows us to use these for single guests or one night stays. On your next stay with us please request a room to the back as they all have baths with showers fitted. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations Manager
Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Nice hotel, room was clean and tidy. Can't really complain. Worked out well for us as well as we were there attending a gig and the venue was literally 5 minutes around the corner.. very ideal! Definitely recommend. Only thing I didn't like was that on our entrance back to the hotel after our night out, there were a few young males stood outside smoking and talking quite loudly - possibly guests at the hotel, I'm not too sure - but it made us very uncomfortable walking past them and re-arrive at the hotel, made us feel like they were going to approach or say something to us but luckily they didn't. Anyway, other than the outsiders, a lovely hotel and very convenient for our trip. Definitely come back for any future Manchester gigs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Centralpi, Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex), responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review following your stay. My team and I appreciate all comments as it gives us an idea of how to make improvements. As you say the Hotel is very centrally located and ideal location for shops, bars and all venues. I have taken on board your comments re the people smoking outside and have now requested that either my night team or our security request smokers stand away from the door so it is clear for guests returning. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was our first experience of staying at a Premier Inn and to say we were pleasantly surprised is an understatement. All the staff we encountered were friendly and extremely helpful. We had a family room which was very clean and although a little cramped because we had two teenage boys with us it was more than adequate for our needs. We had booked breakfast which was free for the children making it great value for money, the restaurant and the standard of the breakfast was extremely good. The hotel is in a perfect location for exploring Manchester and most important of all the tram stop at St Peters Square is a two minutes walk and you can get a tram out to Old Trafford with no problem. I can find no fault at all with our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you taking the time to write your recent review following your stay with us. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your experience with Premier Inn. We charge for the room other than per person so it makes it very affordable when you have a family. Each of our hotels either has a restaurant internally or located right next door. As you say the hotel is very centrally located and ideal for all activities. in order to get the best rates for any of our Hotels throughout the UK please always check our website. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here following a 2 day training course held at the Marriott Victoria & Albert. That hotel was a little pricey and didnt want to spend lots of the company's money so I hunted locally and found this place. £29.99 for a Thursday night stay and I chose to add the meal option on top at £23.99, total cost £54 - bargain!

I found it was only a 10 minute walk from the training course down a busy street and past the convention centre. Not too far from canal street/china town and plenty of local places to eat/drink.

Fairly new hotel with very good in room facilities. I regularly stay in Hiltons as my hotel chain of choice, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the Premier Inn room.

Room was very clean. It had all the conveniences you would expect: aircon, kettle/drinks, flat screen tv, plenty of storage, relatively comfy bed with options for pillows, sofa bed, fully equipped bathroom with shower gel/handsoap. The only negative I could mention is a noisy bathroom fan, but extraction is important in an enclosed steamy space. Lots of hot water and good pressure for the shower.

You have the premier inn guarantee of a goods night sleep and i was reminded of this at reception when i checked in.

I went down for my evening meal and really enjoyed this. Good value for money, great service and plenty of choice. Good pub grub really. The drinks werent expensive either.

My sleep was good, not too disturbed considering noisy door closures on the bedrooms.

Breakfast had a good choice and i was able to order freshly poached eggs. The negative is the advertised Costa coffee does not mean you can choose a latte or cappucino. Its filter coffee placed in a thermo jug thingy. Very weak, lukewarm and tasteless, may have been made with costa ground coffee but not what i would class as a costa. But there was plenty of other choices and I daresay more coffee would've been made if i asked but i simply didnt have time.

In conclusion if i could find another well priced overnight stay here, I would definitely come back to use the Premier Inn as a central city base for exploring Manchester.

Room Tip: Rooms away from lifts/doors will be quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review following your training course in Manchester. As you say the Hotel is centrally located and easily accessible for all transport inc trams. The Hotel is actually 12 years old and we work hard at trying to keep it in good condition although with the high occupancy that we enjoy you can imagine this is a never ending task. I'm lucky to have a fantastic team who work hard at ensuring that every guest has the best possible stay. Not sure if you noticed but we have a gym located within the hotel, it's on the whole of the 1st floor and part of the 2nd. Guests receive a discounted rate of £5 for a day pass, vouchers available from the Hotel reception. I'm so glad that dinner and breakfast were enjoyable. Sorry we don't offer a choice of Costa Coffees at breakfast but due to the volumne of people it just isn't practicle and as a Company the decision was to simply offer Costa Coffees. We have the benefit of havigna Costa shop within the Hotel, this opens at 6am so on your next stay stop off here and get a coffee for your walk. Lastly, if you have the time can you please email me your room number to dorene.mcdavid@whitbread.com so I can investigate the bathrrom fan.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed 31st may for 2 nights as we were going to see muse in concert and we can not fault the staff at all we had a warm and friendly welcome on arrival , our room was clean and comfortable, the only downside was the bathroom which was very small but we were only there 2nights . We had a meal in the restaurant which was brilliant and also the breakfast , the staff are so helpful , we will be staying again .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Centralpi, Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex), responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you taking the time to write your recent review about your stay. Myself and my team are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. In reference to the size of the bathroom, out of 157 bedrooms we do have that have 15 shower rooms, so yes the bathroom is slightly smaller than usual. If you stay with us again please, on check-in request a room with a bathroom. We look forward to welcoming back in the near future.

Been to Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex)

Address: 7 - 11 Lower Mosley St, Bishopsgate, Manchester M2 3DW, England
Location: United Kingdom > England > Greater Manchester > Manchester
Bar / Lounge Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Wheelchair access
#13 Family Hotel in Manchester
#13 Business Hotel in Manchester
#14 Romantic Hotel in Manchester
Conveniently located in the heart of Manchester city centre, opposite Manchester Central Convention Complex (formerly Gmex) and within walking distance of Bridgewater Hall, Town Hall, Oxford St, Deansgate and city centre shops bars and restaurants. Our Manchester Central Premier Inn has everything you'd expect and also boasts a Costa coffee shop, Touchbase business centre with free to use business lounge,free use of the Fitness First Health Club within the hotel and an onsite Table Table restaurant for a fresh new twist on eating out. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Premier Inn, Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Premier Inn Manchester Central Hotel Manchester
Premier Inn Gmex

If you own or manage Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Central Convention Complex), register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.