“Waste of time!!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Waste of time!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Visited this restaurant recently with some friends. This presumably 'new restaurant' was having an 'all you can eat' promotion for a set price excluding drinks. The menu seemed standard enough, with your common Japanese fare-sushi/nigiri/sashimi etc. We were told at the start that the promotion included 1 hot meal each and the 'all you can eat' pertained to the other dishes within the menu-I thought this was fair enough. After our first round of orders, the manager(presumably) approached us and apologised as they seemed to have run out of tuna. This was swiftly followed on by other various items on the menu-the menu at this point was beginning to look really meagre. However, the restaurant continued to receive patrons (after us) with what seemed to be a very scanty menu-this was approximately 7.45pm. Whether the restaurant actually had run out of said dishes or not, we will never know. In any case, it was indecent as they were EITHER continuing to receive patrons without informing them the lack in their menu or they were telling my group that they've run out so as not to 'over-serve' us. In any case, my group paid the full price for the meal despite the very obvious lack of dishes.

The horror did not stop there- the ambience was poor-a replay of a japanese cartoon on screen and a staccato of poor selection of music, waitresses were generally smiley and friendly but service was relatively slow, and the horror of all horrors-the food was abysmal! Food was poorly seasoned, my pork katsu curry was dry and the way the food was presented was woeful. The sashimi looked like it had been prepared by someone who was obviously lacking in the culinary knife skills department. There are no words to describe how bad generally everything was-and the only saving grace was I was in a company of good friends.

Despite the apparent inadequacies of this restaurant, I have to say a few people did still stream in (after us), which begs the question whether they were first-timers and oblivious(as we were, as this is a relatively new restaurant) or because I've over-reacted. In any case, I am not returning to this restaurant, not even if it's free of charge. I don't generally do reviews but I was compelled to do this one as oishi-q did not just leave us 22 quid lighter(each!!), but left a really nasty bitter aftertaste and less than stellar experience.

I would give it no stars but am unable to do so. You would do well to stay away and you have been warned..

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

manchester
“Beautifully done. Top quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Visited mid week, restaurant was a little quiet but still had a lovely atmosphere. The waitress explained it was their opening week and presented me with a 20% discount voucher which will last until the end of January. Lovely authentic, modern Japanese décor and lanterns. The menu was simple and easy to follow with all the usual Japanese hot meals and sushi items. I opted for the Tuna sashimi and Salmon Sashimi followed by the 3 hour braised belly pork served with rice. The sashimi was extremely good, I was really surprised as fresh fish in Manchester is hard to come by. I found the belly pork very tender, served with real Japanese rice. My companion ordered the chicken Katsu curry. Crispy panko coated meaty chicken breast, rice and a home made Japanese curry, which she claimed to be the best in Manchester. Oishi Q seem to focus on good quality food at a decent price. I would recommend giving it a try.

• Visited January 2014