“Great Hotel but like the Midland Better!” 4 of 5 stars

Great John Street Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great John Street, Manchester M3 4FD, England   |
Ranked #8 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
England
“Great Hotel but like the Midland Better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I stayed here for one night in April. We stayed the second night at the Arora as i like to change and then you can get a good comparison.

The service is good here and the breakfast is the best i have had. Great selection.

The rooms are a good size. I booked last minute and got a bed and breakfast rate. I would have normally gone for the next size up to what i had to book but all those rooms were gone.
The room we stayed in was a classical room and it was clean and tidy. There was a roll top bath in the corner of the bedroom which was a novilty!

The only thing i would complain about is that i ordered a wake up call and i never got it but apart from that i cannot fault the service.

It is not as central as i would normally would book but it is within walking distance to the centre of town. For this reason only i would probably book the Midland rather than this hotel. We have actually booked the Edwardian in November for one night (as we have not stayed there yet) but at present the Midland is top, this is a close second!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed here on 31 st Oct last year. The experience from start to finish was very special. We checked in during the afternoon and then headed to the shops (a short walk away) for a bit of retail therapy. On our return to our room we were greeted by warm, homemade halloween biscuits in a little gift bag- a lovely touch we thought! The room was beautiful, split level with a lovely big bed and roll top bath.
We also gave the hot tub a try- it was great watching the sun go down on the roof terrace with a glass of wine or two.
The oyster bar is stunning, as is the rest of the hotel. In fact, we love the hotel that much that we have booked our wedding here next year- Can't wait!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Booked this hotel for a romantic night away and it lived up to all the excellent reviews i had read.Booked it through the hotel for a Friday night on one of their late availability deals.
Our room was split level with a fantastic roll top bath and walk in shower.The bed was huge and very comfy.The staff in the hotel could not do enough for you from bringing an iron and ironing board to my room on request to getting me some candles for a romantic bath.....could not fault them.
Up on the roof there is a terrace with a hot tub and you can even see the coronation street set which is funny.
Breakfast was included in the room rate and i have to say it was lovely with lots of choice and again the service was spot on.
We paid £100 for BB which was excellent value considering the brekky was £15 each if you had to pay for it.
Will be back again ....well have to try the hot tub next time.

One question how on earth is it only 15th Hotel in Manchester on here ah well lets hope it remains a secret then maybe it wont get too busy...lol

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
SELBY, NORTH YORKSHIRE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I booked this hotel several months ago at a special summer rate, I’m so pleased I booked this hotel over any of the others I was considering. If you are considering anywhere else for a romantic night away, don’t - this is the place to book and will take some serious beating! Im in love with the place!!

We got a taxi from Piccadilly train station to the hotel (about £6). From the outside the hotel doesn’t look much as it looks quite small but as soon as you step through the front door you are in a funky reception area - very quirky and modern – LOVELY!! The lady who checked us in was very helpful, we were early so she took our luggage and then we went off for a walk into town (the theatre is literally 5 mins round the corner and the walk into the town is about 10-15 mins but a nice walk, so the location of the hotel is really good! Just round the corner from Granada Studios too)

When we arrived back at the hotel about 2pm, luckily our room was ready for us – the case had been taken up to the room! The lady gave us our room key and then showed us where breakfast was served! When she showed us I was very taken aback as it was just GORGEOUS – I was in love with the place!! It was on a mezzanine level above the very trendy Oyster bar!

We were upgraded from my original booking to room 25 (think it was Classical Grand) and my oh my, my mouth dropped when we got in the room. Upon entry there was a little entry area where there were coat hooks and a wardrobe and automatic lighting that went off when you entered this area. To the left was a little lounge area and it was just BEAUTIFUL! The ceiling was very very high and the décor, everything about the room was just PERFECT! To the right of the little hallway were some stairs up to the mezzanine level where there was a huge bed and bathroom! The bed was massive and so very very comfy! The bathroom, well I have always wanted a roll top bath so the chance to bathe in one was very welcoming! The shower was lovely too! There was even some shutters that you could open so that you could see into the bedroom / bathroom or vice versa!!

The room overall couldn’t have been better. Robes were supplied as were shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, cotton wool pads, hairdryer, kettle, tea & coffee, etc, mini bar (if a little pricey is my only nick at the hotel!), wi-fi, I think that’s all, I cant remember as I was in awe the whole time I stayed here!

When we had been in the room about 10mins reception gave us a courtesy call to ask if everything was ok – a nice touch!!

When we got in from the theatre on the Saturday night we took a walk up to the roof to see the hot tub, it would appear you can use this at any time, but if after 2300 then be respectful of residents close by! We didn’t use the tub because we forgot our swimmers but it would have been nice to take a romantic dip!

The breakfast the following morning was plentiful and lots to choose from!

Overall the stay I had with my boyfriend at this hotel was quite simply the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in a lot of hotels! I cannot fault one thing about this place and anyone looking for an individual non-chain hotel should stay here it was just PERFECTION! Hopefully one day I will get to stay here again!

Enjoy the pics!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

From initial arrival to check out and everywhere in between the service at Great John Street is second to none. Being a converted school each of the rooms are unique, the one we stayed in had tall ceilings and a bathroom on a mezzanine above the main room. Our view was that of the Coronation Street set, and we were close to all central amenities. The main shopping area was a short taxi ride away as were the restaurants which the hotel recommended. We dined at both The Grill on the Alley and Panacea which were excellent. Breakfast at the hotel was first class and the Oyster Bar was decadant! The staff were well informed, helpful and knowledgeable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
North West UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

can only echo everyone elses superb comments about this hotel, it has it all.

The staff were so attentive through our stay. We only left the hotel from check-in to go and do some shopping - everything else was more than catered for in the hotel. There was a function that night in the hotel, but that didn't hamper any aspect of our stay.

The "bar menu" as they call it is really quite good indeed, and if you want to just chill and dine in a relaxed atmosphere then it's all there for you. I would suggest a journey through the cocktail menu too - great fun, and the staff obviously love making them up too.

The room was superb, again split level with the rolltop bath and walk-in shower (given us some inspiration for decorating) and the feel of the whole hotel is great. A1

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Knutsford, Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Basically a very good hotel!! We got a deal on Tuesday night for the following Saturday Night (in January) for an Eclectic Suite for £195 including breakfast.

The Hotel was initially hard to find by their map. We parked in the NCP and it cost £15 for just over 24 hrs which wasn’t that bad considering you are in the centre of Manchester. You could find cheaper if you were willing to walk further.

The Reception staff were very helpful and when I booked I had asked for a suite on an upper floor which I got. Someone helped us with our bags and showed us to our room. They could have done with explaining how thigns in the room worked, (windows, TV etc) but were very pleasant and friendly.

The reception\ bar area was very nice\boutique. We had a nightcap after getting back from a Keane concert and some drinks.It was expensive for drinks but you aren’t going to be there all night and I believe the cocktail was very good so was a nice treat for the missus.

The room was very nice, duplex style, classical music when we walked in, beautiful old bed, original old wooden floor, full height(2 storey ceilings), 2 nice dressing gowns. The top floor had 2 lovely baths and an amazingly powerful walk in shower and 2 sinks. Basically, it looks the part and was very impressive!!

Pluses
Very Nice Hotel for weekend stay.
Great Décor.
Warm cosy\romantic feel to the place.
Breakfast was very very good.

Minuses(nothing major)
-Television was unplugged at the wall and cable was in draw(not major but should have been checked)
-The room was noisy but only because they had a left a window open. They had left the heating on but one of the top windows was open although with the curtains being closed, we didn’t notice until we had been woken up several times by people smoking and talking outside. We couldn’t actually close the window because it was too high up and there was no way to reach it. Once I asked reception they came straight away and sorted it.
-We went to sit in the Jacuzzi about 11pm and although it was cold outside, it had pretty good views and was warm in the water. That was until the Jacuzzi turned off and slowly drained with no warning.  Not the end of the world and we didn’t complain but very strange. I echo comments about the Security camera. Very off putting and not sure why it needs to be there.

In summary, nice hotel and I would have given 4.75 if possible but if I had paid full rate £395 I would have expected someone to pay just a little more attention to detail with the room.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Great John Street Hotel? Share your experiences!