“Sack the Chef !” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
manchester
“Sack the Chef !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Decided to try out this Restuarant in Didsbury because it looked really good and I am a massive Elvis fan also I had picked up some menus the week before and the choice and variety on the menu seemed excellent. We arrived at 5.30 and the place was practically empty (that should have given us a clue). The decor is all Elvis pictures and album covers and there are TV screens showing footage of him continually. Music wasnt Elvis music but was good and the waiter who served us was very friendly and effecient. I ordered Creamy Garlic Mushrooms and my hubby asked for Crayfish cocktail which they didnt have but offered him Prawns instead.The mushrooms were swimming in a sauce that had a layer of grease floating on the top. They were overcooked and soggy. My husbands prawns were drowned in a seafood sauce with pineapple pieces and limp lettuce, they were also hard as nails. For main I ordered Scallops and King Prawn Linguine my husband wanted Steak n Ale pie but it wasnt available so he went for the Barbecued Chicken wings. The scallops were rubbery, the prawns were hard and the linguine must have been cooking all day , pure stodge. The whole thing was swimming in a sauce again full of grease and even worse ,full of salt My husbands chicken wings were thin straggly things with hardly any chicken on them and so overcooked the skin needed a hammer and chisel. Again the whole thing was swimming in a barbecued sauce full of salt. I can honestly say it was the worst meal we have ever had. Because the waiter was so nice and we knew we would never return we did our best to shuffle the food about so it looked as if we had eaten some. When we left the place was quite busy with mainly 18 to 30's , who were all eating Hamburgers and chips. The portion sizes looked huge so obviously this restuarant caters for fast food ,which I'm sure it does well at but it certainly cannot cater for a more discerning taste and would do better to keep the menu simple or hire a chef who can cook. I just managed to get home in time to race to the loo to get rid of the whole meal and my poor hubby was up till 4a.m. getting rid of his ! Never again !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Manchester
“Great Breakfast, nice change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Around a week after its opening I thought I would give this a go after looking at the menu and spying 'Elvis' Legendary Breakfast'. I have had breakfast at most places in Didsbury and this was slightly different with its American style menu.
This breakfast was huge! As it was brunch we thought we'd go all out and get an Elvis shake too (peanut butter and chocolate). I must say, it was a LOT of food which would be difficult for most to finish but it was well worth the money and the food was of good quality.
The service was great, the waiter could not have done more for us so we made sure we tipped well. Also, the owner came out (in his Elvis jacket) and introduced himself to us which I thought was a nice touch.
If you need to soak up drink from the night before this place is perfect!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
liverpool
“Good times, lovely food and terrific value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Went to the Elvis Kitchen in Didsbury this evening and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. My husband and I both had the lamb kofta kebabs which were very tasty with just the right amount of rice. The service was pleasant and courteous and the meal was very, very reasonably priced especially as we had a bottle of wine too. We each had a main course and I had an ice cream sundae, hubby had a coffee and we had a bottle of wine between us and the whole bill came to £38.00.

The atmosphere is undeniably a bit cheesy but it IS called the Elvis Kitchen so it would be foolish to expect string quartets. All in all, it was a good experience and the sundaes are to die for. I would recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Food! Hidden gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday I went to Elvis Kitchen, Didsbury to celebrate a 50th birthday. What a lovely place! The staff we're great, really friendly and excellent at taking our orders, with there being so many of us and us all moving round!

The food was fantastic.. Huge plates! I had the Lamb Koftas.. Lovely! And the desert was to die for :)

Our evening was finished by Elvis himself ;) bringing out a birthday cake for our birthday girl!

Thanks very much for a fantastic Monday night, we will definitely be coming back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
manchester
“Service has left the building!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am just going to reiterate my facebook rant

oh good god what was right, the fact they spilt half my cocktail but gave it me anyway (although I had waited so long for it I would have drunk dishwater), or the fact we were told its a 20 min wait for food even though there was a table of 20 ahead of us and even we knew 20 mins was optimistic! we waited 90mins for mediocre food, the table who came in after us got their food first, even though the manager kept saying we were next, he ran away not wanting to talk to us when he asked if we were ok, when it finally came one burger order was wrong, the melt in the middle burger was actually cheese on a normal burger, NO TOMATO, it also took ages to take the order and get drinks ( all in all we got in 745 left 1015 - MEANING everyones evening plans got skuppered), I can appreciate it was busy for them BUT the lie of 20 min wait was the downer, we had no apology or explanation!!!! the table next to us had their drinks bill doubled and didn't eat the food, THE POOR BARMAN was the only one trying to defuse things and see if we wanted a free round - he tried his best as he knew it had been a disaster, but the Manager was shocking, after we complained he said sorry about 100times to us (too late) and knocked the drinks bill off, but we couldn't look him in the eye! Service means alot and for a burger that was just alright THIS IS NOT RIGHT!
They started doing a 2-4-1 offer on a Monday night, so the place was busy, yet there was one bar staff and one manager who was serving, not even at a speed. It either needs to get staff or sort itself out because the curse of being over the bridge will close it down soon!

also were not sure if the vege with us was actually eating a vege burrito! The manager had to double check with the chef, which in a busy situation, the chef could have just lied anyway!
I would avoid and just go to GBK if your in the area. At least its cheaper and you know what your getting!

• Visited March 2013