“Bordering on very good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Street Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Bordering on very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had the chicken wings and popcorn shrimp to start. The wings were good but a bit overdone. Overall good starters. The main arrived very soon after the starters so by the time we were ready for it the chips were cold. Burgers and tacos were good but the sweet corn tasted as though it was from a frozen packet and was expensive at £4 for two small pieces. Portions were good. If the orders were managed better and the wings were tweaked the meal would have been better. Overall I would recommend and we will be returning.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester
“Good casual eatery and bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The bar has a nice atmosphere and the menu is very on trend with fried chicken, burritos and tacos a plenty! The food is fresh and tasty and the guy who delivered our food was really friendly and helpful. The service at the bar was a bit more hit and miss but overall I like it...it is what it is! I havebto say i think i preferred it when it had proper table service and you didn't have to order at the bar but I can see why they have changed it. As I'm local I will definitely be popping in for a bite to eat again, especially In the summer to sit on the terrace.

“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Went here with family and friends for lunch on Saturday. We all had different things to eat - burgers, burritos and fried chicken. We all agreed that the food was great and the service excellent as well. Would definitely go again. Children are made to feel welcome as well.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice place, moody staff, incredibly bad food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Went to The Beagle last night for a bite to eat with my friend... we had eaten there a few weeks back and food was pretty tasty.

Ordered a burger and a burrito from the rude, scowling, charmless girl with the big glasses (question for the Beagle owners - why employ someone like that in a customer facing role?) and although I was made to feel like I had disturbed her evening doing so we looked forward to the food. However it was not meant to be.

The burger was absolutely dripping with fat (and I mean DRIPPING) and the burrito was stone cold. I actually wondered if we had done something to upset the girl with the big glasses! It came pretty quickly to be fair and I ate all of the burger because I was absolutely starving but I definitely won't be eating there again as it was pretty disgusting what was left in the bottom of the basket. My friend complained about the cold burrito and a new one was prepared... this arrived back at the table long after I had finished my food. There was no real apology, just shoved back in front of him... at the end of the day, he watched me eat my food and I watched him eat his. We were made to feel like we were in the wrong! Not really acceptable.

Beagle owners - sort your place out please. You started off well but it's going seriously downhill. Employ staff who are friendly - not moody people who scowl at your customers. It's completely unacceptable!

And sort your food out. You could be onto a good thing, your menu looks great... just a shame the result put me off having a burger again for life!

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“A regular - Cosy atmosphere, friendly staff and tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My partner and have become regulars here the last few months and it felt like time to write a review cos it's such a lovely place. Then I read some of the recent mixed reviews and I wanted to write one even more because I don't recognise the criticisms, mainly about whether the staff are friendly. Apart from one woman who is kind of neutral, the staff are some of the friendliest I've come across and that's one of the reasons we kept coming back. Sorry I don't know names, but the woman with auburn hair and glasses, the guy with fair hair and a beard, and the guy who usually wears checked shorts are all so lovely! We're not typical trendy Chorlton types so it's not that they're selective. There's just the right amount of helpfulness and banter, and a feeling of genuinely wanting you to have a nice time.

As for the food - we're big fans of the burgers. I'm very picky when it comes to meat and hate that worry about bits of gristle and unidentified whatevers in your mouth. These are the only burgers I will eat. The meat is really good quality, cooked medium unless you ask for it cooked through. A few different varieties. My favourite is Santa Bill & Monica, with bacon (burgers £7-9). Yum. I've also has the pulled pork burrito (lovely), the nachos (brilliant when they come free if you order 2 mains before 7pm, a bit overpriced at £4.95 otherwise), the fries (which are now twice the size which is better value), and the basket of 4 mix and match tacos for £10 on a Tuesday.

The experience one woman had with the shouting man sounds awful, but it's not typical of the place. It's usually a mix of tables of 30something friends, couples (straight and gay), families with kids (I'm not usually a fan of kids but it's big and bustling enough not to matter!) and the odd well behaved dog.

I would say definitely give it a go.

• Visited March 2014