“Nice place, moody staff, incredibly bad food” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Street Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice place, moody staff, incredibly bad food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Went to The Beagle last night for a bite to eat with my friend... we had eaten there a few weeks back and food was pretty tasty.

Ordered a burger and a burrito from the rude, scowling, charmless girl with the big glasses (question for the Beagle owners - why employ someone like that in a customer facing role?) and although I was made to feel like I had disturbed her evening doing so we looked forward to the food. However it was not meant to be.

The burger was absolutely dripping with fat (and I mean DRIPPING) and the burrito was stone cold. I actually wondered if we had done something to upset the girl with the big glasses! It came pretty quickly to be fair and I ate all of the burger because I was absolutely starving but I definitely won't be eating there again as it was pretty disgusting what was left in the bottom of the basket. My friend complained about the cold burrito and a new one was prepared... this arrived back at the table long after I had finished my food. There was no real apology, just shoved back in front of him... at the end of the day, he watched me eat my food and I watched him eat his. We were made to feel like we were in the wrong! Not really acceptable.

Beagle owners - sort your place out please. You started off well but it's going seriously downhill. Employ staff who are friendly - not moody people who scowl at your customers. It's completely unacceptable!

And sort your food out. You could be onto a good thing, your menu looks great... just a shame the result put me off having a burger again for life!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Manchester
“A regular - Cosy atmosphere, friendly staff and tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My partner and have become regulars here the last few months and it felt like time to write a review cos it's such a lovely place. Then I read some of the recent mixed reviews and I wanted to write one even more because I don't recognise the criticisms, mainly about whether the staff are friendly. Apart from one woman who is kind of neutral, the staff are some of the friendliest I've come across and that's one of the reasons we kept coming back. Sorry I don't know names, but the woman with auburn hair and glasses, the guy with fair hair and a beard, and the guy who usually wears checked shorts are all so lovely! We're not typical trendy Chorlton types so it's not that they're selective. There's just the right amount of helpfulness and banter, and a feeling of genuinely wanting you to have a nice time.

As for the food - we're big fans of the burgers. I'm very picky when it comes to meat and hate that worry about bits of gristle and unidentified whatevers in your mouth. These are the only burgers I will eat. The meat is really good quality, cooked medium unless you ask for it cooked through. A few different varieties. My favourite is Santa Bill & Monica, with bacon (burgers £7-9). Yum. I've also has the pulled pork burrito (lovely), the nachos (brilliant when they come free if you order 2 mains before 7pm, a bit overpriced at £4.95 otherwise), the fries (which are now twice the size which is better value), and the basket of 4 mix and match tacos for £10 on a Tuesday.

The experience one woman had with the shouting man sounds awful, but it's not typical of the place. It's usually a mix of tables of 30something friends, couples (straight and gay), families with kids (I'm not usually a fan of kids but it's big and bustling enough not to matter!) and the odd well behaved dog.

I would say definitely give it a go.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very poor service and attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Myself and 5 friends went here on a Saturday at 2pm, we ordered at the same time at the bar, we were told there would be a 45 min wait for food, which was itself strange as the place was only Half full, then the food started arriving bit by bit, 2 of my friends got their food 20 mins before the next arrived, this is not acceptable, it stank of there only being one chef in the kitchen. It got worse. My friend got his burrito and had to wait 10 mins for his fires (dont believe the seasoned bit, they came plain), when I asked the chirpy waitress (sarcasm) what was going on she said "they should have told you at the bar that the food just comes when it's ready, and the frier is really busy so the chips may be a while" - I'm sorry but I've just come back from Thailand where everything to the island was delivered by boat, and even they could get the fries to arrive at the same time, not good enough, and it want just our table, I saw a couple eating 15 mins apart on their date, avoid this place at all costs. Such a shame as the food is actually decent. Just don't expect it to come the day you order if which a smile.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Mexican pub grub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was a spur of the moment visit for food, I was feeling too lazy to cook and we just wanted good and reasonably priced comfort food.

We didn't want a huge gut busting meal, so opted for 8 wings, the pulled pork tacos and fries to share. You select your own cutlery and condiments, and I noted all the chipotle Mexican sauce bottles were empty. We asked a passing waitress and she was happy to bring a fresh bottle from the kitchen. She noted that she wasn't surprised that they were all empty as it's the most popular sauce, and I can see why. Lovely stuff - don't be afraid to ask for a bottle if there is none left.

The food came relatively quickly. The wings had a lovely crispy coating and came with two dips, a chilli and a BBQ. The BBQ was incredible! The wings are whole, and a bit fiddly to eat - stock up on napkins, you'll need them. They were a little on the greasy side, I felt like they could have been drained a bit better before serving but they were yummy. A finger bowl for messy fingers would have been good, but this is a pub, not a restaurant so I wouldn't expect such extras.

The tacos were delicious. Small, but big on flavour. We opted for pulled pork which was juicy and succulent. The sour cream, chilli sauce and fresh coriander were a perfect topping.

The 'seasoned fries' were good. Not sure where the seasoning was, I could only detect maybe a touch of black pepper. Still, they were crisp, plentiful and thin! I have a major hatred for chunky chips!

The whole meal with two pints of Veltins German lager was £24. Not bad, but could get pricey if you have a bigger appetite.

On the whole I am really pleased we came here, we have visited in the past when it was under different management to mixed reviews. The current owners seem to have found a niche with the food, and good food it was too. We will definitely return.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tasty food at a good price, 'interesting' service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We visited on a Sunday with friends - a mix of adults and children. The menu is delicious, and the kids menu is also a pleasant change from the usual nuggets/chips etc. I ordered the 'special' pulled pork burrito that was on, which was a bit underwhelming - tasty enough soft pork and tortillas, just nothing particularly special and not much of it. My friends had the burritos and chiminchangas which were very substantial and tasty - and our shared chicken wings/onion rings/nachos were divine! My only real complaint was the service was a bit slow and poor. The girl serving us didn't crack a smile once, and was very lacklustre about the whole thing - it was so extreme we even got the giggles about it! Also, our food came out at different and seemingly random times - we got one course about 15 mins before any others, and I then had almost finished mine by the time my childrens arrived. There were no clean knives left, and we had to ask our waitress a couple of times for clean ones from the kitchen - which is really quite poor I think - once should have been enough. However, It was a nice atmosphere, overall very good texmex food, and we will definitely visit again - as long as I'm not in a rush to eat!

• Visited February 2014