“A third visit and impressed again!” 4 of 5 stars

0161 8341866
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Albert Square Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 1,643 restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A third visit and impressed again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

After years of being patrons at the other two chophouses in Manchester (Sam's and Thomas') it was only natural we give The Albert Sq. a whirl. So, we did! First time just for drinks! Second time for a Good Friday family meal and then thirdly, last night for dinner with the family again. Each time we have visited Albert, it hasn't been very busy; therefore the staff have an opportunity to be very attentive. But, they have been exactly that! Friendly and menu knowledgable and have looked after us very well! The fresh bread rolls provided are delicious and a very nice touch! The starters were delicious; especially the scallops and pork belly and the harsh! Perfect! The Fish and Chips is greg and the children's portion is generous for under 10s. The Ribeye steak, medium rare and the perfectly pink, cooked lamb were delicious as well!
We only ordered the cheese plate for dessert and the rhubarb trifle! Both lovely! The building and interior are impressive and the photographic tribute to Manchester people is a nice touch! Also, the decor is a good mix of rich and luxurious and industrial at the same time! Just like Manchester itself! We will continue to visit The Albert! I just wish there was a little more menu choice!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Foodietomsmcr, Manager at The Albert Square Chop House, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your great review and pleased to hear you enjoyed all three visits to Albert Square Chophouse.

77% Recommend
“Clearly in the wrong place....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Went in yesterday as I have been recommended to visit the chop house for whisky, but I certainly did not get the service I expected.

After being reccomended to scout here from the concierge at my hotel I expected to be completely awe struck as I was when I visited the British Protection. However I was not, and like the Protection the immense lack of knowledge amongst the really let them down. The range itself consisting almost wholly of one hugely successful brand. Where's the variety?

Someone's clearly tied up in a contract.

The only bottle showing some vague inspiration is the humble dalmore: and even then it's the old packaging on bar which makes it look more like an opening present given to the owner or manager instead of a well sourced bottle.
It's a shame really because I was hoping to have my socks blown off

*after talking to my contacts it appears my taxi driver took me to the wrong chop house

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review, the Taxi driver did take you to the wrong Chophouse, Sam's has an extensive range of Whiskey along with Peter who is very knowledgeable. Sorry you were disappoint and hope that on your next visit to Manchester you will call in and see Peter at Sam's.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great Chocolate Soup!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I briefly visited the chop house following a disappointing 2 courses at Table Table. The ambience and service are great. I had a beer and ordered the chocolate soup dessert which was a chocolate lovers dream! Next time I go to Manchester, I will definitely aim to go for the full 3 courses here.

Visited May 2013
stratford on avon
“quite good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Overall very good.

But i have one major complaint that needs attention. Having an "open kitchen" can be a benefit but NOT when the staff, wishing to get home, early commence washing and cleaning the floor using lemon smelling disinfectant !

The resultant fumes/smell spoilt an otherwise enjoyable evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review and have since reviewed our kitchen close down procedures.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very poor bar food selection”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have eaten at the Chop House before - in the bar and had fish and chips and this was excellent. This is the only reason it received 3 stars this time.

Was on business and husband was staying over as he also had business in Manchester that day - I had recommended the Chop House because of previous positive experience.

On a positive note - the welcome was excellent on both occasions, we were shown to a table and the menu was brought across. We ordered drinks as we looked through the (very limited) choice and settled on fish and chips. Wine was excellent.

The waitress who took our order was new and didn't speak very good English but she advised that there was no fish on the menu. So we had another look and at second attempt husband went for Steak pie.

We were then told there was no steak pie. He then tried to order another pie but was advised there were no pies (out of possible 5 on menu) other than cheese and onion. This was when things started to go badly wrong, I cannot eat onions, shallots, leeks etc and the rest of the menu (or what we thought might still be available on the menu - it seemed that unless we tried to order we were not going to be advised if it was available or not) all contained onion of some description. We asked to see the manager who advised that there was a "steak pie" available - inference was there was some sort of mis-understanding with the new member of staff.

Husband settled on that with chips and I had venison f@ggots (have to write in this way as otherwise refused as a profanity!).

Nondescript pie arrived with mash not chips, although chips were swiftly brought when we complained. My venison f@ggots were delicious but unfortunately contained onion so I did suffer later.

I rarely complain about food or service but my point here is that we were served our large glasses of wine ahead of ordering so were essentially stuck. If the limited bar menu was going to be even more limited by not having at least 5 dishes available (at 7pm in the evening no fish and only one pie out of potential of 5 pies on the menu) then tell customers up front so that they can make an informed decision whether to stay or try somewhere else.

No-one later checked that meal was ok and we were happy with things. We did not leave a service charge (very unusual) which was a silent protest about how we felt we were treated.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Foodietomsmcr, Manager at The Albert Square Chop House, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear JoJoTourist, thank you for your very constructive feedback about the bar menu and service following your visit to Albert Square Chophouse last week - we are currently reviewing the structure and content of the bar menu which I think will go a long way to addressing these issues, linked in with the current on-going staff trainging - we will also review stock holdings to ensure that there is less likelihood of being unable to provide any particular dish.