“Belly-filling, heart-warming, smile-inducing food.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
UK
“Belly-filling, heart-warming, smile-inducing food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Mama Flo’s is a Caribbean café (eat-in or takeaway) located on Hyde Road in Gorton, one of the main routes east to/from Manchester and only 10 mins from the city centre, a short walk from Belle Vue train station, and on the 201/203 bus routes (every 10mins). This is a colourful little café serving fresh, authentic, home-cooked Caribbean food and a warm welcome greeted me when I visited here today.

It was quite a warm day and after a very friendly chat with the owner I ordered rice peas and dumpling, with steamed fresh vegetables and fried plantain, and a large glass of home-made lemonade whilst I sat waiting for my food to be cooked. The rice and peas and steamed veg were very good, and the fried plantain, dumpling, and home-made lemonade (I had to have another glass) were just excellent.

This is belly-filling, heart-warming and smile-inducing food and drink, the dumpling and plantain being a little sweet (but not overly so) and simply delicious. Mama Flo also rustled me up a home-made dessert based on mashed ripe banana and flour shallow-fried and topped with ice-cream. I will certainly be returning at some point and taking along friends whom I know will be very interested indeed in the fish, chicken and curried goat dishes (as well as many others) on offer, as well as the warm friendly hospitality.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florence C, Owner at Mama Flo's, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Your review was awesome great feedback thanking you so much for choosing mama I hope to see you again soon have a good Xmas god bless mama

Stockport, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing Caribbean food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Me and my Wife have absolutely enjoyed eating Mama Flo's Homemade recipes over the past month, trying her gorgeous dishes of Curried Goat, Chicken Stew, Jerk Chicken, Chicken Wings, Chicken Pattie and also the chicken soup (which she kindly let us try for free).
We cannot recommend this restaurant/takeaway more highly, Its just like the many times we have visited the Caribbean :D

John and Carys

• Visited August 2013
Florence C, Manager at Mama Flo's, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
NnTo the manager of trip advisor mama would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your effort that your company has been helping my business to improve what can I do to show my appreaciation to your company is there a charity I can donate to if so please let me informed by sending me an e mail i take this time to wish your company all the success .thanks in a million .mama god bless
Barcelona, Spain
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

When I visited Mama Flo's I had the curry goat and a Guinness punch, both were great. The atmosphere is cosy and friendly and Mama Flo herself is lovely. Well worth a visit.

Visited September 2012
Florence C, Owner at Mama Flo's, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Thanking you all for giving me a great response about the service that I gave you your review meant a lot to my business it certainly helps my business to grow without you loyal customers I could not do it on my own so thanks again have a merry Xmas god bless mama.
“Absolutely terrific!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

When you enter the shop you get hit by the wonderful Caribbean armour!! Then mama flo welcomes you and makes you feel happy and welcome straight away! Then you order your food and within 15 minutes it's ready! There's no long wait just quick great service! The food then tastes wonderful!! I would rate this 10/10!!
Wonderful I suggest everyone goes in for a wonderful experience.

• Visited July 2013
Florence C, Owner at Mama Flo's, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for the support.

Mama Flo
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I just love this place. You're made to feel like family and are totally at ease the moment you step in the door. Mama Flo herself is lovely, but I've found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. The food is great, I've had the Red Snapper and Goat Curries served with rice and peas. Both delicious, the Red Snapper in particular. Dumplings are great for mopping up the sauce. Wash down with a delicious fruit punch. If you want to eat fantastic food in the most unpretentious and relaxing of settings, Mama's got it covered.

• Visited May 2013
Florence C, Manager at Mama Flo's, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
To all mama Flo's customers I take this opportunity to thank people who came out to eat on Friday 13th also those who enjoys mamas homemade cooking,most customers have also bee requesting second servings, don't be afraid to come to mama Flo's in gorton it's a safe community, the shop is always secure, the shop is so relaxed , you can come a chill out! Don't take my word for it ,pop in yourself! You can park your car at the side entrance of mama Flo's restaurant, and also at tescos for two hours, although mama doesn't sell alcohol, feel free to bring your own beverages.the charge for your own alcohol is a small price of £2.50 Thank you again for the lovely support,god bless.