“Great place.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Great place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Overall this place was good, great food, fantastic service, very different but unique atmosphere, just a huge shame about the cocktails.....

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester
“Good Service, Disappointing Cocktails.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After months of pouring over the online cocktail menu, I finally got the chance to sample a mere sliver of the drinks that The Alchemist has to offer in April this year. We popped into the New York Street branch at my request - as a renowned birthday brat, I had demanded the finest cocktails Manchester had to offer. Unfortunately The Alchemist didn't take the crown.

The interior has, at first glance, the "wow" factor, but at closer inspection left me feeling that a little TLC was required. There are few seats for those who have popped in for a drink, but numerous empty seats reserved for diners. For a bar/restaurant that focuses heavily on the vast array of cocktails on offer, this seemed a bit odd. We visited mid-afternoon on a week day, and struggled to both get a seat.

I felt that the service here was really stand out - the girl who served us really could not do enough to make sure we were happy and that was to our liking. My Husband ordered a pint of beer, but they were having issues with the gas for the tap so he was given a free bottle of Peroni while we waited for them to rectify the problem. You could tell that the barmaid was passionate about the cocktails she was making, which made me feel a little bad for not being overly impressed with my choices!

I ordered two cocktails, and as expected the preparation was impressive - but the drinks were nothing to write home about. Both were pleasant, but I didn't feel that they were worth what I had paid at around £7 each. Despite this, I would return to The Alchemist and give the dozens of other cocktails a go. As the saying goes, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Epic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Decided to take the wife for a stay over in Manchester and on recommendation we toook the taxi here. What a great place! Luckily we had put on the glad rags as we were told that its upmarket and it certainly was. Lots of very well dressed people and awesome cocktails.Cant wait to go back....

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Chemistry Meets Bar.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've been to The Alchemist a couple of times now.
It's a smart bar with a great vibe and some fantastic cocktails.

As the name suggests, the bar mixes chemistry with drinks and food, and it does it very well too!

My first drink there was a Long Island Iced Tea. It came with a lump of dry ice in the bottom of it, so not only was it nicely cold, it was bubbling and smoking too, (Co2 not actual smoke).

On a subsequent vist we ate at one of their high tables.
The food was fabulous, and I thoroughly recommend the Sticky Beef Salad - it was delicious...

We also had a lovely bottle of Bisol Prosecco.

We were superbly looked after too.

I'm new to Manchester, and the Alchemist is firmly on my list of fab places to go for food & drink in town.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Crazy cocktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After you get your head round the extensive cocktail list and narrow down what you want to drink youll be in for a treat. The cocktails are some of the best Ive ever had here and always try to have something different. Full of flavour and kick this is a great way to start off any evening

Visited May 2013