“Well presented pub on the canal” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London
“Well presented pub on the canal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have been here a couple of times, always in January for birthday meals with a group of friends.
The pub is well maintained, spacious and has a great selection of ales and wines. Easy to book over the phone.
Have never been disappointed with the food, a good selection of meals, including sharing platters and smaller options, so not necessarily too expensive . Well cooked and presented.
Staff are friendly and accommodating. We have found the atmosphere to be a good mix of larger groups, couples and some families. Always have a relaxing afternoon here. I'm sure it's lovely in the summer months as there are several tables outside.
Definitely worth a walk out from the city centre for this one, although a cab from Picadilly is only about £6.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Been meaning to stop by here for a while now... decided to take my kids there on Sunday on a whim. Bit sceptical as I'm not a fan of taking kids into town as a lot of places don't make it easy, plus it's hard to enjoy a meal in their presence most the time ;) .... but The Wharf was great. Car park needs to be a bit bigger though considering the sheer size of the place, we ended up sticking the car in a less than ideal undesignated spot.

Firstly I was impressed with the size/layout - perfect for families as it was easy to park the buggy up by the side of the table without impeding anyone else - there were 4 prams in the extension part of the place while we were eating and you barely noticed they were there. Loved the variety of the menu, and the fact that the kids options were healthy and appealing - my 5yo son wanted a Sunday dinner and although that wasn't on the kids menu, they more than willingly scaled down the adults version and charged less (although to be fair, it just seemed to be the same amount of food but on a smaller plate - the Yorkshire pudding was like a hat ;) Roast beef was lush, as was my partners HUGE fresh burger. Slightly disappointed that the Wine of the Month (Malbec) chalked on the boards around the pub was out of stock but had a lovely Merlot instead. Ditto the Crème Brulee being all gone when it came to ordering deserts (it was only 2pm!) buttttt..... I had THE best breeze block sized bread and butter pudding I've ever had in my life, and trust me, I'm a B&B pudding connoisseur. Very reasonably priced meal all round, very child friendly, and will definitely recommend/return.

One thing I do think I need to say though..... for the high standard of food served and the extensive menu, and the 'feel' of the place, I do think the service idea is very odd.... we really didn't expect to have to order at the bar, it just didn't feel right/Wetherspoons enough - and whenever my partner trudged up to order anything else at the bar, he said he felt like it was chaos - people shouting drinks orders at the same staff who were trying to organise large amounts of food orders at the same time. I'm not sure if this was the reason for a lack of service staff around (our food took a very long time to arrive, ditto the empty plates removed etc) if we'd have been in more of a rush, it would've been a big issue. Regardless, the staff who did bring the food over were absolutely lovely, it just seemed a bit of a hazy role they were playing.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were a party of 4 people celebrating a birthday.
I had been to The Wharf a few weeks beforehand for a drink and I was quite impressed with the staff and the surroundings hence going to try the restaurant.
We were not disappointed (apart from my name not being on the bookings page when we arrived). We had a good table on the mezzanine floor which was a nice area to be in. The staff were attentive and the food was very well prepared and presented. All in all it was a very nice experience and one which we shall be enjoying again quite soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
north of england
“Great place, great sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Visited The Wharf again this sunday as we were in Manchester again for the weekend, booked a table as didn't know how busy they would be being the holidays etc. We found this place in the summer and pay a visit every time we in the city now. Sunday lunch is our favourite, absolutely gorgeous, wish it was nearer think I'd go every week. Took my daughter and her friend with us, now my daughter is a picky customer when it comes to food and has never eaten sprouts in her life (though I have tried, she's 20) let me tell you she cleared the plate and said it was best sunday lunch ever. If that doesn't say it all. The decor, furnishings and atmosphere is lovely, great place for an evening out. My daughters friend from Cambridge thought the whole place was brilliant, not what you expect to find in a city centre. Right by the canal an all, such a nice spot. I say anybody just thinking about trying it then do so, its a nice surprise. Note to management though, everything I've had has been great but please add a few more 'simple' things on the menu, not a lot to choose from for picky eaters though can recommend the cheese sarnies, burgers, fish & chips. Couple of nice pies, choice of steaks would go down great guns, but then again who am I to complain, what we've had we've always enjoyed, just a suggestion. Try it anyway, defy anyone not to like it here!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Great pub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Only been here once, and wasn't a very long visit, but went with my mate when I visited him for the weekend in Manchester. We went for a Sat afternoon pint (or two!) - great variety of beers - I had a few pints of the cheshire cat - it was excellent! We didn't eat but the food looked good on other peoples tables. They even have board games to play - we enjoyed a few games of back gammon which is rather great over a beer with your mate. Nice decor too.

• Visited December 2013