“I like it .” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Right in the centre
Scotland, Maryland
“I like it .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

1st time in Manchester thought try Indian it was best. Tasty food n nice service what else do I need lol .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hove
“Ashoka? A shocker!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Went here as it seemed to be the only curry house within striking distance of the town centre, but I should have travelled further, it was a dismal experience.

Watery, bland chutneys, a chicken pakora whose batter coating was a limp as a curate's handshake, and a chicken dhansak with dry, re-heated chicken and big chunks of pineapple from a tin. The waiter seemed a bit confused when I he asked if it was ok, and I said "no", and dealt with it by pretending I hadn't said anything.

Other comments about the collapsing chairs still stand (unlike the chairs) and the toilets were in dire need of some kind of attention.

I don't like giving bad reviews, but this place needs to wake up and smell the kulfi, and change for the better

Visited June 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

service was excellent, very friendly staff, I had the Masala fish to start, it was great, for mains i had Balti chicken potatoes which was full of flavour
.Will definately be returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Action needed now; it's nearly too late”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I've eaten here on an occasional basis over the last six years when in town on business and was rather surprised at the negative reports. Tried again last night and, sadly, have to confirm that it shows all the signs of a place on the way out.

The place is very tired and there was a food stain on my tablecloth. No napkins, either on the tables or offered with the meal. The hand dryer in the gents didn't work and there were no paper towels - very naughty.

All the seats in the restaurant have collapsed (I'd forgotten this from previous trips), so you end up perching on the frame. Not much fun.

The food is, as a number of reviewers have said, terribly bland; no flavour and the meat sub-standard . For the first time ever in a thousand curry house visits no-one suggested , or brought, pappadoms, or suggested naan bread. I was left wondering why they're still bothering.

It's rather sad. So many places to choose from in the area - this place needs to shape up, or the market will ship it out.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Disgraceful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We visited Manchester over the weekend 17/18 May 2014, on the Night of the 17th we went to the theater and decided to dine out after the show and we found our self's lured into the Ashoka restaurant by the green lighting from the outside. on entering the establishment we were greeted by a friendly face and polite manner, And from there on the night took a dive into incompetence!!
My friend ordered poppadoms and I ordered the chicken Shahlik for starters, I ordered a hot spicy curry for my main and my friend ordered the larger option of the Chicken Shahlik and Chapati for her starter. Even thought it was clearly said I didnt want any poppadoms they brought twice as many poppadoms as ordered to the table, and my friend took her time to eat them in a attempt to waste time waiting for my starter to arrive so we could eat together, time past, my friend finished the poppadoms, some ten minuets after she had finished my starter arrived, so much for sharing a meal together!!! it took over an hour for our main to arrive, during this time, we asked for some ice water, we just got water, so we had to ask for the Ice again, I ordered a pint, it didn't arrive so I asked another member of staff for a pint, all in all it took 15-20 mins just to get a drink in a restaurant that wasn't that busy. When our main's finally got to the table, they couldn't be bother to bring any serving spoons with them, so I asked for a spoon, at this point in stead of giving us the culinary utensils and leaving at that, they decided to treat us like children and spoon the food onto the plate!!
Even thought I enjoyed my main, my friends main was a disaster!!! They should of cooked my starter and her main separately, but they didn't and because they took so long to get it to the table her chicken was dry chew able and lost a lot of flavor, the onions were burnt and stuck to the serving dish, the mushrooms were rubbery due to the extended heating, the tomatoes were not even on the dish and there was no sauce, possibly totally dried out as it was kept on a heat setting for 45 mins!! the chapati was under cooked doey in texture lacking any flavor and rigid, so inflexible to mop up any type of food, a action i have seen my friend do a thousand times, it was so bad that she just left it, I ordered two coffee's, and they brought one to the table!!! it was so cold my friend drunk it in one go.

we eat out often and this is the worst restaurant we have been to in a long time, a total disgrace, bad food/cooking small portion over priced for what you get and despicable Service.

if your looking for some ware to eat in Manchester, do not choose this place, there is nothing to recommend it

• Visited May 2014