“Oh Dear, not 5 Star!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Isle of Man
“Oh Dear, not 5 Star!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Where do I start?
Booked on Hotel Website, Business Class deluxe King. Good rate for a 5 star £135 & 145 per night. Main reasons for choosing the Radisson was spa & location.
Arrived 8.30pm in pouring rain, walked from metrolink St Peters Square. Check in man very unfriendly. Had completed "fast check pass" on line, but he still asked for address/card to imprint etc. He was as another poster stated "surly" or off in his manner. Asked him if it was a king, he stated no a twin, no kings left.
Went to room, no offer of help with luggage! Shocked, twin beds with a plastic moulded table in between. Overlooked the lobby, so an internal room, not city view as on my cofirmation.
Wife was very unhappy.
Went back down to ask what could be done. Was told by "Mr unfriendly" that this was as good as it gets. Other similar rooms were offered, but still exactly the same room type. A more senior man arrived & stated that confirmation of room type from their booking site were subject to availability. I decided to stick with our room. "We" slid the beds to a different wall & pushed together. Compromise!
Had dinner & drink in Opus One, very nice, though staff were under pressure. "Not used to it being so busy on a Wednesday" was waiters excuse after our third/fourth time having to call him over.
Next morning TV broken, called down & reported it. Went out at 8.30am, back at midday. TV fixed, room not made up.
Decided to wander out for dinner at Chez Gerard, 5 mins away. Very good, 1/2 price of Opus One. Back about 11pm.
This is when the fun started. Our room was on 3rd floor, internal. The noise from below was unbelievable. People shouting & screaming, but even the talking, lively banter travels unabated through the windows & trendy blinds, as others have reported in their review. It was well after 2am before we got to sleep. I emphasise that this noise was from within the hotel, not outside!!!
No doubt, the General Manager will reply (he usually does)stating excuses & how they strive to be the best hotel in the region. Sorry mate, you are most definately not. You are not even the best on your street.The Midland up the road is much better, The "snobby" Lowry is a much nicer "modern style" hotel. Come to think of it, the Crowne Plaza Liverpool was more enjoyable to stay in, if we are talking North West.
Yes, you do have a nice Spa/Pool/Gym area, but a good night's sleep would have been more important. I cannot see you winning many genuine awards in the future! Sorry.
By the way this is the first time I have ever really felt the need to post a review, having stayed at 5 star Starwood Hotels, Marriotts & Ritz Carltons, in many different locations over the years.

• Liked — Spa & Pool
  • Disliked — Noise in bedroom!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
StephenMiles, General Manager. at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, July 14, 2008
Dear Reviewer,
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would be most grateful if you would contact me directly so that i may follow up on the specifics you have raised.
Stephen Miles.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Indonesian first
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed at the hotel on Friday night. I watched Holland win in the pub and it was a great idea to book this hotel. Everything was great, from check-in right up to dinner and breakfast including the bottle of Chateau Musar!. Because I work in a very prestigious hotel in Chester, I've got a couple of points I want to mention. I stayed in room 1020. The bathroom was dusty on the floor, The glass sink had a massive chip in it. What was used as material for curtains was absolutely terrible. It didn't keep the sun out at all. When looking at other reviews, this problem seems to excist for a long time. Also the bureau chair scratched the wall, i.e. needed maintenace.

I think the hotel should maintain it better, when you pay a high price for the room. But overall it was still reasonable, as it is a great location to stay!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

Having been to Manchester's Free Trade Hall many times in the 70's and 80's, it's fascinating to see this transformation. You'll either love it, or hate it!

The interior is very modern, and the rooms well equipped. Mine (on the 11th floor) had: double bed, desk, mini bar, trouser press, hair dryer, safe (big enough for a large laptop), separate bath and shower, and plenty of wardrobe space. The shower had v.good water pressure.

The room was v.clean (not a surprise for a hotel of this rating, but others on TA have reported poor experiences in this area).

The windows overlooked other buildings and, despite the lower portions being frosted, if you walk straight from the shower towards the windows to admire the view then there is a risk ...

The blinds are vertical panels (each about 2 feet wide?) that are opaque. Great for getting a good night’s sleep, but I would have also valued something net-like to allow light in - without neighbours being able to see what you're doing.

Having arrived mid-evening, I went straight out to dinner with friends. When I returned I went to bed only to find, an hour or so later, that I was very hot and my mouth was dry. The a/c was not working and I couldn't get the room cooler - the windows do not open at all. Too late to change rooms, I decided to put up with it.

The following morning I needed to work in my room before checking out,. My mobile phone's battery was dead and I'd forgotten my charger. Then came my biggest mistake - I used the phone in the room. The rate charged is extortionate. I've not been charged at such a rate anywhere else in the world.

At check-out, and without me mentioning it, the receptionist blushed and apologised 3 times for the hotel's prices for phone calls. So angry am I at the pricing, that I have decided not to visit this hotel again. The a/c failing could happen at any hotel, but the philosophy behind this pricing is simply to take advantage of the customer.

• Disliked — The extortionate rate for phone calls - hotel greed philosphy
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, July 4, 2008
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our award winning hotel. I am sorry we were not aware that you needed a phone charger, as we stock a large selection for the use of our guests. Regarding our phone prices, we charge the industry standard rate per minute for the use of the phones in the rooms.
Stephen Miles
Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

I have just returned from a weekend in Manchester with my boyfriend where i stayed in the Radison and i have to say, it was perfect!
We arrived at 10.30am so decided to see if we could check in early, we spoke to David at reception who was very helpful and said we could have the room within an hour! This was perfect for us as check in wasnt supposed to be until 2pm, our luggage was taken off us and again David was brilliant, offering us a map and some helpful tips on where to go etc, what a great start.
When we returned and went to our room our luggage was already there waiting for us which impressed us! We booked one of the Al Fresco suites for a little bit of luxury and luxury is what we got, It was huge in size, perfect, clean, tidy, the massive bed was soooooo comfortable, there was a table with 6 chairs, a leather sofa, fab wet/dry rooms bathroom and the best part the 'urban' garden, our own private terrace.
After a hard days shopping this room was a pleasure to come back too, we enjoyed a few drinks on the terrace, and listened to some music courtesy of the Bose sound system!
In the morning we decided to have breakfast in our room to make the most of it, at £17.50 a head it was slightly pricey but when it came we were suitably impressed, the selection was perfect and all delicious!
We were sad to be leaving this morning and cant wait to get back to Manchester and stay in this hotel again.
A particular point to the staff, they were all so friendly and helpful, from David on reception to the concierge boys, we were impressed by them all and they all genuinely wanted to help (this is something we havent always found in hotels)
All in all, a fantastic hotel, highly recommended!

• Liked — Friendly staff, the Al Fresco suite was amazing
  • Disliked — nothing at all!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

After staying at this hotel on business and having a fantastic stay
I decided to come back to the hotel for my anniversary.

We were greated by friendly and courteous staff at the reception desk and although we were early showed us directly to our beautiful room. My husband had asked for champagne and it was waiting in the room for us, perfectly chilled.

Having only visited Manchester on a few occasions we asked the reception staff for recommendations of where to dine in the evening. The recommendation was magnificent and made our special evening sensational.

The rooms were very light and airy and very comfortable. This hotel far exceeded my expectations on every level.

I will be returning next month to Manchester and will definately be returning to this exquisite hotel.

• Liked — Modern, stylish and welcoming
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

You walk into the hotel into a stylish entrance hall with staff to help you everywhere.

Especially liked how the lady behind the desk used my name and offered to take me to my room, I have stayed in lots of hotels over the world but rarely do you get asked this.

The rooms are not huge but again in the same style as the hotel, the bathroom has a wet and dry area, although the dry area is not very private.

The bed in the room is about 6 ft square, every time I sat on it I fell asleep.

Over all the hotel is stylish, 5 star, comfortable and the staff are professional. What more could you want!

• Liked — Hotel and comfort
  • Disliked — bathroom was not as private as I like (hardly a huge problem)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

I should have listened to the reviews here, so hit and miss, this was exactly the same as our stay at the hotel.

The building at first glance looks like a great fusion between what is boasted at the former free trade hall and the modern hotel. We found this to be very first glance, whilst my partner was attending a business meeting in one of the meeting rooms on the first floor I was left to check in. The check-in staff were surly and had very little local knowledge, i was trying to locate a late opening restaurant for eating after meeting friends, no help was forthcoming. On arrival in the room i was disappointed with the general state of repair.

-the walls were marked with obvious marks from people repeatedly brushing against it.
- there was a light bulb out.
- the linen on the bed would have been thrown out of a hospital (I previously was a manager with the NHS and never saw such examples) The linen was frayed in the middle of the bed, it must have been obvious to the housekeeper who made the bed.
-the bathrooms was mouldy. I was disgusted with the level of neglect that would have been necessary to allow this level of mould to occur.
- the blinds were completely inadequate for the job.
- the tv was not tuned properly and the remote did not work.
- the lifts were dirty. Obviously cleaned but large sections or mirror and roof missed.
- the spa pool was pathetic in size and odd in shape.
- the main bar (opus) adds a 10% surcharge onto each bill automatically. we only noticed because of the odd amounts our bills were coming too (£6.12), and they use a system for dispensing the spirits through a gun that i have only ever seen elsewhere on cheap cruise ships.
- Breakfast was a farce, the cold buffet was good, but the size of the restaurant was obviously completely inadequate for the number of guests, the staff were trying there best to keep up but we eventually gave up waiting on various hot items. the restaurant manager did apologise to us saying that the place was just about to have a refit (not much comfort for us) but when I asked if they were extending either the restaurant (to sit more people) or the kitchen (to keep up with demand) she shrugged her shoulders and moved to the next table to express the same regret about the level of service.

Although i did like the general décor i think this is to do with the architects rather than the current management.

Avoid this hotel. Its too hit and miss to invest your time and money with.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — worn down building
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, May 25, 2008
Dear Reviewer.
We are sorry to read that you did not like the design of our award winning hotel. I would welcome the oppurtunity to discuss your feedback with you. I have made contact by email with you. Our aim is to exceed all of our customers expections. Clearly we have failed to do this . However we remain commited to being the leading hotel in the north west.
Stephen Mlles

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester? Share your experiences!