“If you want somewhere special then this is the place to go !” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 10%
Ranked #6 of 117 hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“If you want somewhere special then this is the place to go !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed over for my husbands 40th and asked for a city view room which we got staying in room 1117 on the 11th floor. On arrival the male receptionist was very courteous and explained everything to us. There was a fabulous chocolate decorated gift waiting for my husband when we entered the room. Had dinner in the steak & Lobster which was very nice and a drink in the bar at the hotel which was also very nice and both very reasonably priced. Used the pool/spa facilities the following day,which again were excellent. There was a few negatives but only minor things - asked for a newspaper for the following morning and didn't get one and if you want breakfast in bed, its delivered on a table which is fine if you had two suitable chairs to sit at (there's only one that can be comfortably used for this purpose) we had to use a stool type thing from the wash room area. We were confused about this as they charge a 'tray charge' of £1.50 but don't supply any tray(s) also if you like brown sauce with your cooked breakfast, ask for it in the 'extras' section as you only get red as standard.
spa area was great although the choice of a hot and cold shower next to the sauna area would be nice and some hooks on the back of the shower doors to put your towel on would be useful especially if you're only small like me and have to jump to throw your towel over the door !

Having said all that this hotel was just fantastic and every single member of staff greeted you as if you were royalty and made you feel special. Would DEFINITELY stay here again, I can see why this hotel gets a higher rating than the other leading hotels in the area and with it also being steeped in history it's a beautiful building and retains many of the original features.

• Stayed April 2013
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for this detailed feedback and your kind compliments on our service. I would like to clarify that the tray charge you mention is a cover charge for in-room dining. A cold shower following a sauna is apparently normal practice, however I have noted your comments. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime for another special occasion.

2,328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
N. Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Eat here one evening with a group of five. Main restaurant was booked out. Choice for dinner was Lobster or Steak, that was basically it. Lots of little things like rare beef slices, onion rings, etc
Very disappointed, £15 for Lobster or Steak!
Would not return.
Try Don Giovanni's a five minute or less walk, turn right when you go out through the. Front doors, an amazing restaurant. We only found it after we had sampled the Alto. Booking advisable though they open late and do wonderful early bird deals. Everything from Italian Cusine to steaks, fish etc etc. 5 Star
Pity about the Alto but what an I say, I tried it once, that was enough. Will have to try the main restaurant in hotel and review it very soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I am sory you were disappointed with our Steak & Lobster Restaurant which has proved very popular among hotel guests and local diners. Your Don Giovanni Restaurant is a completely different style and standard of dining from our two restaurants. I look forward to your review of Opus One.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

It has been one of my birthday gift from my wife.
Very well coming from concierge, whom directed us to reception helping us with the languages.
Receptionist was very professional and in a very short of time gave us all the information of the hotel.
The room was amazing with all Manchester view, as it was located to the top floor.
Spa is too small, and the gym not enough space. Pool is small, but the team are working hard to maintain everything up to the standard and you can tell.
Great Bar with very polite team and great service.
If you are in Manchester, just pop in and visit the bar for a drink..and enjoy the show.. You will know exactly what I mean..

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I am pleased you enjoyed your birthday gift. Thank you for all your your comments.
Harpenden, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stepped off the London train at 9.30pm after a busy day, looking forward to getting to the hotel, quick shower, nice meal, and a good sleep in a comfortable bed. However, when I arrived at the check-in desk that's when things started to go badly:

Check-In - Two sullen young men occupied the desk. After stating my name I was informed that I had a twin room on the 8th floor. Twin room? I am alone, did not book a twin room, and do not require one. I am also 6' 2" and do not fit comfortably in a single bed. "Sorry sir, that's what you booked, and we are full and therefore cannot change the room". In other words, like it or lump it.

Dinner - 10.00pm and downstairs for dinner. I reached a room bearing a strong resemblance to a "sports bar", i.e., beer strewn tables, plasma screens with football on, etc. Can you direct me to the restaurant please. "This is the restaurant sir, but we are closed for a private party, but I could do you a sandwich. Did they not inform you of this at check-in?" To bed.

Bed - A single bed does not suit my frame, and a very expensive single bed is even more uncomfortable. I had a bad nights sleep. It was a pleasure to get up at 6.00am.

Breakfast - 6.30am "Sorry sir, we do not open for breakfast until 7.00am" At least the extremely bad level of service is consistent throughout each and every facility that the hotel has to offer.

Check-out - 7.30am. What a relief to get out of here. Surely if the people who run Radisson knew how badly this hotel was managed they would do something about it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to talk to us on the telephone regarding your stay.
I can assure we have addressed the matter with the member off staff who greeted you on arrival. As you can see from our reviews this is not are normal standard of service.
The twin room was booked by your corporate office and unfortunately we had no other rooms available we have confirmed this with the person who made the booking for you.
We have two restaurants , Steak and Lobster which offers an 8 oz rib eye steak or whole lobster with salad and fries for £15 outstanding value. Opus Restaurant is a more formal dining experience, but Opus bar does serve a very exciting English Tapas menu. As does our Opus Reserve Champagne Bar.
Breakfast is served from 7 AM in our Alto Restaurant , this is a group standard. Breakfast is available though from In room dining from 4am. We also have a Grab and Run breakfast which is available every day in reception from 5am until 7 am .
We feel these points are important to highlight as we would not want to mis-lead readers of this review . We are very proud of our award winning reputation as the leading hotel in the North West.
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed @ the hotel as a treat for my birthday. Reservations refused to even consider an upgrade & were quite rude about it. We didnt automatically expect one but also didnt expect to feel bad about asking. We paid £260 for a king city view. The first room had a view of the back of the gmex so i asked to change & was given another with a far better view. We had to ask for the complimentary drink voucher & again were made to feel bad about asking although it was included in the price. When we came to settle up we had to ask for the drinks to be knocked off our bill as we had been charged. Breakfast was very disappointing buffet style serve yourself & most dishes were cold as other guests left lids off.Tea/coffee was served by a waiter & so we constantly had to look for someone to top us up. only fruit on offer were apples. Not the standard i would expect from a 5* hotel and definitely not worth the huge amount we paid. i would go back but only if we were able to get a much reduced price. I have stayed in many 5*s but felt very ripped off. We were not made to feel special at all even though it wss a special birthday treat for me probably down to the fact that a huge wedding party were also staying & spent more money.

• Stayed April 2013
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for providing this feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and were unable to offer an upgrade. Our breakfast buffet has proved very popular , however we do also offer an a la carte selection. I am interestesd to know a little more detail about your booking and stay and would be most grateful if you contact me direclty so that we may discuss this.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This place does what it says on the tin. Its not 5 star but very good.
Check in was a bit slow but busy. Sent me to room three times with keys that didnt work not a great start.
Staff very charming and apologetic.
TV packed up in room havent had time to report it.
Breakfast in room yesterday was excellent but no replacement order card left for today.
Perfect location next door to Convention centre and central in Manchester.
I still think Trip Adviser needs a 'Good' rating something between average and very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We are proud of our 5 star status so I was disappointed to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and please accept my apologies for the lapse in our normally high standards.
cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Very nice hotel, beautiful room. Good location. We were meant to get wine in the room but was told on check in that it was a mistake. But overpriced for the room and breakfast was not included and £25 for a breakfast is very expensive, considering you can get a breakfast locally for a lot less.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this review. For added value, inclusive breakfast rates are available via our own website.

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester? Share your experiences!