“lovely fresh food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #256 of 1,718 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Soup Kitchen is a canteen, bar and music venue located in Manchester's Northern Quarter District.We offer freshly cooked food, award winning wine, up to 6 cask ales, premium beers, a wide range of fresh tea & coffee and free WiFi.We host live music events, club nights, film nights, comedy events and art exhibitions.Sun-Wed: 12:00pm-11.00pmThurs: 12:00pm-1:00amFri-Sat: 12:00pm- 4:00am
“lovely fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited the Soup Kitchen last week with a vegetarian friend. We were both pleasantly surprised by the food which was delicious. If you want plush decor this is not the place for you but this obviously doesn't bother the diners as it was busy when we visited on a Thursday lunchtime. A very rustic place with long wooden tables and an odd assortment of chairs. My friend had soup and a sandwich and said both were really good and although not a vegetarian I had lentil moussaka and three bean salad with lovely fresh bread. Both were really delicious and we were both too full for dessert, which was a shame as the home made cakes looked very nice. I had a glass of wine which was ok and my friend a glass of light ale which she said was really good. If you are looking for a relaxed, delicious home made dining experience and you are not too bothered about great wine then please try this place as it really is worth a visit. We paid less than £20 for everything which for city centre is fine. Staff very friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Padiham, England, United Kingdom
“First visit. Impressed so far.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have only been here once but thoroughly enjoyed the food and loved the ambience. The range of food was good but they had run out of nice cake when I was there with my daughter who works nearby. Have to get there earlier next time I visit.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great selection of drinks and delicious food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've visited the Soup Kitchen for drinks on many occasions, but only recently ate there for the first time.

We ordered goats cheese and chutney quiche, it arrived with a plentiful side salad and was presented in the rustic and understated way that you'd expect of somewhere called 'Soup Kitchen'.

The interior is basic but roomy with huge ceilings and the bar and kitchen area is open (which I like). Most of the seating is on long benches which sit aside long tables. The art on the walls and ceiling is ever changing and always worth a look.

This is not really a restaurant (and it doesn't try to be) but just a great place to have informal drinks and good food in the Northern Quarter.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Taken for a ride. Exploitative drink prices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

The food is alright canteen style stuff I had a veggie lasagne, the drinks selection is both poor and overpriced most beers are macro and over £5 I paid £3.40 for a 1/2 of anchor steam takes the biscuit when port st is just minutes away.
Never again rip off prices like that they have no respect for their customers.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Mediocre food and the place was sooo cold!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Visited Soup Kitchen with some friends for lunch. The decor and ambience is nice and cosy and there was a steady flow of customers which indicated it was quite popular with the lunch crowd. The staff seem nice too and service was generally efficient and friendly. I also like the enamel crockery that the food is served on. I ordered the beef cobbler which consisted of 3 dumplings and a miserable amount of beef (which was a little tough and chewy), potatoes, carrots, peas etc in in a stew. There was bread on the side which I helped myself to. The flavour of the dish itself was not too bad, but the small helping of beef which hasn't been cooked to perfection leaves much to be desired. I was expecting a hearty, generous helping for £6.50 but was sorely disappointed. My friends ordered different soups and they didn't really comment on them, so not sure whether they were tasty? As some of my friends ordered some drinks after the meal, we stayed on to chat and it was then I noticed how cold it was - not sure whether there was heating? I must not have noticed it when I entered as being indoors would have been a big difference from being in the cold outside and while eating something hot, again it wouldn't have been something I would have noticed. I was happy when we eventually left! Whilst the ambience and laid back vibe was great, the quality of the food will not tempt me back - what a shame!!

• Visited March 2013