“Late breakfast at Fyg!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #672 of 1,825 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bar, Coffee Shop, Mediterranean, British, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: The Tib Street situated Deli & Wine Bar with its homely atmosphere, cosy decor and fantastic range of wines, cheeses and deli platters, makes you want to not just come back, but never leave in the first place. Fyg opened in 2011 as a mediterranean-inspired deli; serving up strange cheeses, unusual marmalades and curious leaf tea's. On New Years Day 2014, The House of Adventure Group acquired the venue with an aim to hold onto these original elements but introduce hearty breakfasts, superb wines and a relaxed events program. Transforming Fyg into your home from home. Open daily from 10am, Fyg Deli & Wine Bar will cater for your breakfast needs, lunch cravings and supper delights alongside delicious wines for every occasion.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Late breakfast at Fyg!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I ordered the tostada con tomate with serrano ham and manchego cheese and it was delicious. The servings are just right and the price is reasonable. The deli counter and the food along the wall added to the character. The waitress was very friendly and chatted to us instead of just taking orders and payments which made us feel welcome. Will definitely be popping in for one of their tasty sounding sandwiches when I'm back that way.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Breakfast at Fyg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've been to Fyg many times for coffee, lunches and deli platters. I love this little gem in Manchester's Northern Quarter. Then I discovered that Fyg does (and went for) breakfast, and I now love it even more. There are many places in Manchester that do good (even great) breakfasts/brunches. However, not many put real quality products into their full English breakfasts... but Fyg does. The Fyg full breakfast contains: Balsamic tomatoes, herby mushrooms, bacon, locally-produced sausage, cannellini beans in a homemade tomato sauce, baked egg and malted bread. The only thing missing in my opinion is some black pudding (possibly a divisive and controversial thing to say, but then I'm a big black pudding fan). That omission aside, dare I say this is the best full English breakfast in Manchester? If a full breakfast isn't your thing there are plenty of other wonderful and wholesome things to try on the breakfast menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jayne_and_Eileen, Owner at Fyg Deli & Wine Bar, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Wow, thank you for the lovely feedback we are so glad you enjoyed your visit. Yes, you are right about black pudding being a great divider, however, we are currently reviewing our menu so will definately give it some thought. Thanks again
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, great atmosphere and friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I visited for lunch today with a work colleague and I'll be coming back. My Greek style pitta sandwich was authentic, tasty and fresh. I followed it with a slice of the cardamom and apple cake with an espresso, a very good combination. The staff were all friendly and attentive. Even the music - Aretha Franklin - was to my taste.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jayne_and_Eileen, Owner at Fyg Deli & Wine Bar, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review about our food and choice in music, we are so glad you enjoyed your visit to FYG Deli and hope to see you very soon
Manchester, United Kingdom
“It had everything to be great but I shall never return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were greeted by a really nice waitress, that served us good artisan breads in the quirky alfresco area. All seemed well, until I spotted this elderly gentleman (with obvious difficulty to walk and shaking) taking a seat in one of the several empty chairs. Immediately the manager approached him to get his order and when the gentleman explained he was just trying to recover his breath, she asked (politely in all fairness) that he would move and sit on the concrete next to the alfresco area. He promptly yet in obvious effort did it. Now, this made me ill to the core. I guess she was too worried that he did not fit in with the trendy appeal of Fyg, but there is never a justification for this lack of sensitivity. I re-iterate that the gentleman did not disturb anyone and there were several tables and chairs empty. So, Fyg, you may look good on paper, but I prefer places that actually have a heart.

PS- I approached the gentleman to make sure he was feeling well and check if he required any help. He was polite and thankful. One day we will all be old, and hopefully someone will smile at us and check that we are ok. As for the manager lady, karma will catch up!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Jayne_and_Eileen, Owner at Fyg Deli & Wine Bar, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Isobel
We are genuinely really sorry to hear of your recent experience at FYG.
Our upmost concern is for the health & safety of our customers and staff and unfortunately we had a few instances that day whereby we had to politely request that people move along for those particular reasons.
We would be more than happy to provide you with a valid explanation regarding the gentleman you have referred to if you would like to email us with your telephone number so we can call you directly as it is not appropriate to discuss here.
We believe that people come to FYG for good quality food, drinks and a great customer experience. We welcome people from all walks of like here at FYG and can assure you that this instance was nothing to do with image, but out of concern for the health and safety of our staff and customers.
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The girl who served us today couldn't have been more knowledgeable of the menu or more lovely. I had the pie with beetroot that came with salad & potatoes, it was delicious and just the right portion. The atmosphere in the restaurant is lovely too, along with a selection of additional food and products!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your lovely comments, it is so nice to hear you enjoyed your visit. We aim to provide as large a range of retail products as we can and have already started at looking to increase in the lead up to christmas time. We hope to see you again soon.