“Good service” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #496 of 1,718 Restaurants in Manchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, British, Pub, Gastropub
Description: The Town Hall Tavern is a traditional English pub in the heart of Manchester city centre. It serves a wide range of drinks, including traditional cask conditioned ales. The menu contains well priced, quality British pub food.
manchester, england
“Good service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My 3 friends and I visited The Town Hall Tavern today, 8 April 2013, for lunch. The waiter was friendly and helpful. The two course menu was £8.95 and was good value for money. I had the pate starter and one of my friends had the crayfish, both of which were excellent. For our main course, one of my friends and I had the beef and ale pie with seasonal vegetables. The vegetables were cooked just right but unfortunately the beef and ale pie was far too salty. My other two friends meals were very good, one had fish and the other sausage. My two friends deserts were excellent also. I did mention to the waiter the problem with the pies and he said he would in turn mention it to the chef. I heard nothing more and no offer of recompense was offered ie maybe a small reduction as I found the pie inedible. A tip was left purely because of the service but I was disappointed with the inaction. For this alone I am rating the Tavern Poor and the food Poor, although two of my friends meals were very good..

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
nuggs25, Owner at The Town Hall Tavern, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thanks for review. Feed back both good and bad is important to us. The waiter should have delt with your complaint better and I will investigate what went wrong! Apart from the pie I am glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your visit. Hopefully we will see you again so we can rectify the pie issue!

yorkshire
“little hide away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

visiited this pub twice during a two day visit to Manchester. First for drinks only. The menu looked good for lunch and the price reasonable. Went back the next day for lunch. Two course menu £8.95 good value. I had Pate and fish and chunky chips.Selection of beers. Really nice would recomend.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hyde, United Kingdom
“Value-tastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Have here a couple of times in the last week. The first was because it was close to Albert Square when the St Patrick's day parade was on. The second was because of the first as the food and atmosphere were superb. And it didn't disappoint on the second occasion either. In a largely overpriced area this pub is really just fantastic value. A good choice of beers, lagers and wines is always a great starting point for a pub and THT meets that requirement. The real gem is the food - high quality ingredients, fresh and tasty and great portions at reasonable prices. The nachos with chilli were delicious, and the fish was beautifully battered and very big. Personally I recommend the steak and ale pie which consisted of large chunks of meat, mushrooms and a super gravy. All in all a great way to spend and afternoon and evening!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing value for food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Went for a late lunch with a friend and we decided on the two courses for 10.95 .we thought because it was so cheap we would get tiny portions but we were very very wrong we couldn't finish our 2nd course .also we ordered a bottle of chardonney recommended by the waiter
thinking it would be the most expensive but when we got the bill it was 11.95 and was actually a very nice wine . Pleasantly surprised by this little place a breath of fresh air from all of the over priced places on this area . Please try it it's pubby and restaunty and so nicely chilled out I could of stayed there all day

• 5 of 5 stars Food
lancashire
“a very traditional warm friendly english pub, not many left !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very pleasant pub, nice atmosphere great selection of drinks good bar staff and lovely traditional food well presented.

• Visited January 2013